Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a Joint Lease.

Options
  • 16-11-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

If I give the required notice to the agency, can I leave a property at the end of it?

I don't want to be responsible for finding a replacement and just wondering what happens when I say I'll be gone in six weeks... does the agency then turn to the remaining tenant and say you have to decide if you are leaving too / gonna find someone else?

Sorry if the above sounds selfish, just trying to understand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You're not required to find the next tenant.

Give your required notice and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You're not required to find the next tenant.

Give your required notice and leave.

Well that depends on the lease. Did you take a single lease with the other person for the entire apartment and rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well that depends on the lease. Did you take a single lease with the other person for the entire apartment and rent?

Both signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

noodler wrote: »
    Both signed.

So do you want to end the joint lease? or not?

So do you want to end the joint lease? or not?

I do, indeed.

• Advertisement

I do, indeed.

So both you and your joint tenant are moving out and you will leave the property vacant?

So both you and your joint tenant are moving out and you will leave the property vacant?

No, sorry.

The other tenant will want to stay.

No, sorry.

The other tenant will want to stay.

Then this is for you and the other tenant to sort out between you, on the face of it. In the meantime both you and your joint tenant are responsible for paying the rent in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Then this is for you and the other tenant to sort out between you, on the face of it. In the meantime both you and your joint tenant are responsible for paying the rent in full.
    Jointly and severally, once the lease remains in place. Meaning hypothetically, if you leave, and your housemate stops paying their share of the rent, you're potentially liable for the lot.

Ok, technically, I'm on the hook of the other housemate can't get a tenant in.

Grand, so even i gave the housemate a reasonable six weeks to find someone, if they can't, it's technically the case I'd still be liable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ok, technically, I'm on the hook of the other housemate can't get a tenant in.

Grand, so even i gave the housemate a reasonable six weeks to find someone, if they can't, it's technically the case I'd still be liable?

It’s not just what’s “reasonable”, it’s whatever the minimum notice period is for the amount of time you have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s not just what’s “reasonable”, it’s whatever the minimum notice period is for the amount of time you have been there.
    And not 'technically'. Its not a technicality. Its a legality.

And if the landlord agrees to amend the lease to include the new tenant. If not, they'll be a licensee of the leaseholders (you and your housemate) until such time as they attain tenancy rights by default. The LL might not agree to swopping people out. Look at it from their point of view. They have two tenants who have agreed to pay x amount for y months. What's in it for them aside from extra hassle?

endacl wrote: »
    And not 'technically'. Its not a technicality. Its a legality.

And if the landlord agrees to amend the lease to include the new tenant. If not, they'll be a licensee of the leaseholders (you and your housemate) until such time as they attain tenancy rights by default. The LL might not agree to swopping people out. Look at it from their point of view. They have two tenants who have agreed to pay x amount for y months. What's in it for them aside from extra hassle?

Absolutely, I didn't mean to be trite when saying reasonable (6 weeks would actually be the appropriate amount of time if we were ending the lease together) and I only meant technical in the sense that it might not come to that if the other tenant can find someone.

But there seems to be no unilateral way out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If the OP has a lease agreement for a fixed term, does not want to continue it after then end of that fixed term and has given any notice required under the lease, I find it hard to see how any of the other posters suggest that he can have a continuing liability for the rent. Part 4 grants (additional) rights to tenants but does not subject them to greater obligations than are comprised in the lease agreement with the landlord.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If the OP has a lease agreement for a fixed term, does not want to continue it after then end of that fixed term and has given any notice required under the lease, I find it hard to see how any of the other posters suggest that he can have a continuing liability for the rent. Part 4 grants (additional) rights to tenants but does not subject them to greater obligations than are comprised in the lease agreement with the landlord.

Because the op says the other person wants to stay on, so unless they reassign the lease or terminate and sign a new one, they are still jointly and severally liable for the full rent

Because the op says the other person wants to stay on, so unless they reassign the lease or terminate and sign a new one, they are still jointly and severally liable for the full rent

Does this ever get enforced in reality?

Like an agency chasing one tenant for half the rent whilst letting the other tenant stay only paying half?

Does this ever get enforced in reality?

Like an agency chasing one tenant for half the rent whilst letting the other tenant stay only paying half?

The landlord can chase one, other or both tenants. They are all individually liable for the full rent, not just their own portion, if one of the others doesn’t pay.

If the landlord doesn’t get the full rent by a certain point they will give notice to terminate the tenancy.

The landlord can chase one, other or both tenants. They are all individually liable for the full rent, not just their own portion, if one of the others doesn’t pay.

If the landlord doesn’t get the full rent by a certain point they will give notice to terminate the tenancy.

Grand, so there is an incentive for the remaining tenant get someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

It’s not the OP it’s a joint tenancy, op can not just give notice and walk away. They are legally liable for the rent of the apartment not just their share, until someone suitable is found to replace them that is acceptable to the landlord. Don’t comment if you don’t know the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Grand, so there is an incentive for the remaining tenant get someone else.

Will you be looking for your deposit back? That is returned at the end of the tenancy or when you assign your interest in the lease.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Will you be looking for your deposit back? That is returned at the end of the tenancy or when you assign your interest in the lease.

True.

Not if it’s a fixed term lease. The term expires in accordance with its and the obligation ceases. The other housemate might be able to come to terms with the landlord but the OP cannot be bound into a Jew lease or letting arrangement against their will and certainly is not liable for rent under a terminated agreement. Again, the terms of the original lease are critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If you are out of the fixed term of the lease, and give notice you are leaving to the Landlord, Joint and Several lease technically you are giving notice for everybody. There should be a new lease drawn up for the remaining tenants if they wish to remain.

It’s not the OP it’s a joint tenancy, op can not just give notice and walk away. They are legally liable for the rent of the apartment not just their share, until someone suitable is found to replace them that is acceptable to the landlord. Don’t comment if you don’t know the law.

Hilarious; I have referred to a fixed term lease agreement. If that is not the case (OP refers to required notice) then the position can be different. However, no person can be bound into a Part 4 tenancy (as you imply) against their will. If any of the tenants purport to terminate the tenancy and give the notice which is required under RTA 2004 (as amended), there is no cause of action which would permit the landlord to recover any future rent from them. Joint and several liability arises in respect of leases rather than Part 4 tenancies which can be terminated at will with the required notice. They are not collective arrangements created under a concept of joint and several liability - if you don’t believe me, find me the provision which creates these impenetrable handcuffs!

I'm gonna look up the lease again to narrow this down.

Appreciate all posts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hilarious; I have referred to a fixed term lease agreement. If that is not the case (OP refers to required notice) then the position can be different. However, no person can be bound into a Part 4 tenancy (as you imply) against their will. If any of the tenants purport to terminate the tenancy and give the notice which is required under RTA 2004 (as amended), there is no cause of action which would permit the landlord to recover any future rent from them. Joint and several liability arises in respect of leases rather than Part 4 tenancies which can be terminated at will with the required notice. They are not collective arrangements created under a concept of joint and several liability - if you don’t believe me, find me the provision which creates these impenetrable handcuffs!

That is the case if all tenants vacate. One tenant cannot go and leave the landlord receiving a reduced rent. Part 4 applies to the entire letting agreement.
    https://www.rtb.ie/documents/TR0716-001857/TR0716-001857-DR0316-25093%20Report.pdf

That is the case if all tenants vacate. One tenant cannot go and leave the landlord receiving a reduced rent. Part 4 applies to the entire letting agreement.
    https://www.rtb.ie/documents/TR0716-001857/TR0716-001857-DR0316-25093%20Report.pdf

Yep. If you are terminating you have to leave the landlord with vacant possession of the property.

Not if it’s a fixed term lease. The term expires in accordance with its and the obligation ceases. The other housemate might be able to come to terms with the landlord but the OP cannot be bound into a Jew lease or letting arrangement against their will and certainly is not liable for rent under a terminated agreement. Again, the terms of the original lease are critical.

Well, while technically true, after 6 months they are in a part 4. So the op cannot unilaterally revoke the lease, if he says he’s not renewing it’s the lease not being renewed at all. Both people need to move out and like I said earlier, if the other person wants to stay on they would need a brand new lease in their name only, or to move out on the agreed date.

That decision relates to a tenant who stayed not one who left and I don’t think you can simply read it across to mean that one tenant who gives valid notice can be tied into life in a unwritten statutorily imposed tenancy without any exit. I don’t think that’s a reasonable interpretation of the Act and, if it were, it would most likely be unconstitutional as it does not respect the fundamental rights of the tenant who no longer wishes to live there and who has never expressly agreed to be bound by such a term.

The RTA does not deal with it clearly but I cannot see any reasonable interpretation which binds every tenant by the wishes of one who wants to remain. That’s simply unconscionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That decision relates to a tenant who stayed not one who left and I don’t think you can simply read it across to mean that one tenant who gives valid notice can be tied into life in a unwritten statutorily imposed tenancy without any exit. I don’t think that’s a reasonable interpretation of the Act and, if it were, it would most likely be unconstitutional as it does not respect the fundamental rights of the tenant who no longer wishes to live there and who has never expressly agreed to be bound by such a term.

The RTA does not deal with it clearly but I cannot see any reasonable interpretation which binds every tenant by the wishes of one who wants to remain. That’s simply unconscionable.

The RTB found each tenant was liable for the full rent. What goes for one tenant goes for another.

Advertisement