Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humax for satellite & terrestrial?

• 16-11-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't see anything in previous posts on this.

I am moving from Sky. I'm looking for a combo box which will work with Saorview aerial and the satellite feed so I can get UK and Irish channels. I also want it to record, do live pause etc. The guy who will install the aerial for me tells me Humax is the best, but I can't seem to find any versions of this which have 2 LNB inputs and 1 aerial input. I don't want to have to get a separate box for Saorview! The installer has no meas on the likes of Ariva, Amiko, Edision etc. and warned me off them in favour of Humax.

I know there's a lotta love here for the likes of Zgemma and Tiviar, but I'm looking for something plug 'n' play as I don't have a huge amount of time to put into this and while I'm *relatively* tech-savvy, I've never played around with satellite decoders before.

So, question 1, does such a Humax exist?
    Question 2, is it possible to just use the zgemma without doing all the extra set-up that afficionados here seem to do?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭decor58

uggachukka wrote: »
    Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, I didn't see anything in previous posts on this.

I am moving from Sky. I'm looking for a combo box which will work with Saorview aerial and the satellite feed so I can get UK and Irish channels. I also want it to record, do live pause etc. The guy who will install the aerial for me tells me Humax is the best, but I can't seem to find any versions of this which have 2 LNB inputs and 1 aerial input. I don't want to have to get a separate box for Saorview! The installer has no meas on the likes of Ariva, Amiko, Edision etc. and warned me off them in favour of Humax.

I know there's a lotta love here for the likes of Zgemma and Tiviar, but I'm looking for something plug 'n' play as I don't have a huge amount of time to put into this and while I'm *relatively* tech-savvy, I've never played around with satellite decoders before.

Question 2, is it possible to just use the zgemma without doing all the extra set-up that afficionados here seem to do?

Thanks!

The Humax boxes are one or the other, terrestrial or satellite, don't know if they make one and if they do haven't seen it on sale here or England. Humax are well regarded but I haven't seen a terrestrial/ satellite receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Most people who use a Humax (they manufactured freesat 7 day epg boxes) box use it in conjunction with a smart tv.

The Humax box has 2 satellite inputs so you can record, watch another, etc. It has an internal hard drive for this recording which also allows you to pause, rewind, etc.

To get saorview you then use the aerial input on your tv. So you need a satellite dish plus a UHF aerial on your wall/chimney.

You will have 2 separate remotes which is not a big issue as you would be using the smart tv for the apps anyway.

They key is in selecting the right tv. I think LGs are one of the only ones that allow 1 button switching between the satellite input and the saorview/tv input.

Sky is a pretty poor product. Messy overcomplicated menu with no access to the iplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Trevord

uggachukka wrote: »

Thanks!

Freesat (satellite) and freeview (terrestrial) boxes are made for the UK market and as such they don't need to combine satellite and terrestrial in the one box. Users have access to their UK channels in either case.

The difficulty arises as RTE etc are not FTA on satellite, which explains the popularity of combo boxes in this country.

Some combo boxes require a bit of setting up, but you can end up with a set up that works, feels (and even looks) like the basic sky service very easily, if that is what you want to achieve.

I'd agree with your installer's remark that its worth spending a bit more on a box. The cheaper boxes are fine for what they are, but you get what you pay for in my view.

Some cheaper boxes can be a bit slow to boot, others may be a bit slow moving through the channels, some may have ugly remotes with a basic design, some may be limited in how you can organise the channels - they are adequate for a second tv, but maybe not for your main tv.

The big issue for some people is that they want all the channels (Irish and UK) on a single menu/remote and you won't get that unless you have a combo box set up. If you are prepared to spend a few hours getting a Zgemma or Tiviar up an running to your liking it is largely maintenance free after that. So if you are tech savvie you should manage just fine.

The alternative is the plug and play option of getting a decent satellite box (one that records) and to pair than with a saorview tv. If you stick a large capacity usb drive (256gb are available now for less that €30) in the tv you will be able to record saorview channels and watch satellite at the same time. But you will have two remotes to deal with.

You should be able to pick up a newish second hand Humax FREESAT box on ebay (use parcel motel/ address pal to keep the postage cost down). They are well made - Mine is an old model Humax Foxsat. I have it 12 years and it still has the original hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Trevord wrote: »
    Freesat (satellite) and freeview (terrestrial) boxes are made for the UK market and as such they don't need to combine satellite and terrestrial in the one box. Users have access to their UK channels in either case.

The difficulty arises as RTE etc are not FTA on satellite, which explains the popularity of combo boxes in this country.

Some combo boxes require a bit of setting up, but you can end up with a set up that works, feels (and even looks) like the basic sky service very easily, if that is what you want to achieve.

I'd agree with your installer's remark that its worth spending a bit more on a box. The cheaper boxes are fine for what they are, but you get what you pay for in my view.

Some cheaper boxes can be a bit slow to boot, others may be a bit slow moving through the channels, some may have ugly remotes with a basic design, some may be limited in how you can organise the channels - they are adequate for a second tv, but maybe not for your main tv.

The big issue for some people is that they want all the channels (Irish and UK) on a single menu/remote and you won't get that unless you have a combo box set up. If you are prepared to spend a few hours getting a Zgemma or Tiviar up an running to your liking it is largely maintenance free after that. So if you are tech savvie you should manage just fine.

The alternative is the plug and play option of getting a decent satellite box (one that records) and to pair than with a saorview tv. If you stick a large capacity usb drive (256gb are available now for less that €30) in the tv you will be able to record saorview channels and watch satellite at the same time. But you will have two remotes to deal with.

You should be able to pick up a newish second hand Humax FREESAT box on ebay (use parcel motel/ address pal to keep the postage cost down). They are well made - Mine is an old model Humax Foxsat. I have it 12 years and it still has the original hard drive.

What’s the best combo box to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Humax Freesat boxes are pretty idiot proof for FTA UK satellite viewing, full EPG, series link, retunes itself. A universal remote might be a solution to the one box rule.

Combo boxes, and Saorview connect have full Irish EPG but for UK only now/next.

Yes you can setup Saorsat on a Humax, but when you watch the Irish channels you go into non-freesat mode so only now/next and it won't switch back to freesat mode for timed recordings so not really worth doing. This rule applies when you add Channel 4 HD via other channels.

A Linux box is the only free way to get both Irish and UK EPG's on one box. But some setting up is required. But you can manage them remotely with a computer or Smartphone. Sometimes figuring it out is more interesting than what's on telly.

Advertisement