Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your spoke in: RSA looking for opinions on road safety strategy

Options
  • 16-11-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

The RSA is running a public consultation of government road policy until 2030. Motorcyclists should make sure to have their voices heard so there is no excuse for them to ignore us.

We all know that we don't figure much in their thinking, apart from their routine preaching: so this is a small chance to change that.

The online form is fairly simple, but if you want to preview the questions they are in a Word doc on the site.

Bizarrely, the form bunches motorcycles and mopeds together with scooters, and doesn't make any distinction for e-scooters. That's not a good sign for starters!

After that it asks (roughly, as it doesn't cut & paste);

1. What should Ireland's road safety priorities be?
    2. How should those priorities be addressed?
    3. Any comments on the current strategy to take into account in the new one?
    4. Can you give examples of good polices in other countries?
    5. Other comments
    I'll be putting my tuppence-worth in... calling for more recognition and highlighting of the danger of cars and other motorised vehicles towards motorcyclists as vulnerable road users; stronger enforcement re mobile phones use, and actual enforcement (since there isn't any) around hazards on roads caused by building sites and farmers.

(I will also be asking them to please make it stop raining.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Breezin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I would trust the RSA in opening a packet of crisps. All they pedal along with the government is speeding (ie easy cash generation)

Agreed.

Are you saying that is a reason why we shouldn't give our opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Breezin wrote: »
    The RSA is running a public consultation of government road policy until 2030. Motorcyclists should make sure to have their voices heard so there is no excuse for them to ignore us.

Done, we might as well add our 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Breezin wrote: »

We all know that we don't figure much in their thinking, apart from their routine preaching: so this is a small chance to change that.

The online form is fairly simple, but if you want to preview the questions they are in a Word doc on the site.

Bizarrely, the form bunches motorcycles and mopeds together with scooters, and doesn't make any distinction for e-scooters. That's not a good sign for starters!

After that it asks (roughly, as it doesn't cut & paste);

1. What should Ireland's road safety priorities be?
    2. How should those priorities be addressed?
    3. Any comments on the current strategy to take into account in the new one?
    4. Can you give examples of good polices in other countries?
    5. Other comments
    I'll be putting my tuppence-worth in... calling for more recognition and highlighting of the danger of cars and other motorised vehicles towards motorcyclists as vulnerable road users; stronger enforcement re mobile phones use, and actual enforcement (since there isn't any) around hazards on roads caused by building sites and farmers.

(I will also be asking them to please make it stop raining.)

Under current legislation they are the same so they should be bunched together. A suggestion could be to classify eScooters as something other than Motor Propelled Vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,704 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whether something has a combustion engine or an electric motor doesn't and shouldn't make any difference whatsoever from the regulation or safety points of view.

Bikes in bus lanes is an obvious safety gain (well, not really as everyone does it anyway - but it needs to be legalised.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

After the debacle that was the RSA motorcycling survey, which was clearly knobbled by the boyracers, I don't expect much here.

We should all fill it out saying how much as car enthusiasts, we hate all other road users, and demand segregated zero speed limit roadways just for Cars.
    Point out also that the drink driving laws should not apply to males under 25. Your car is neither insured nor taxed and you have been driving on a UK learners permit for the last 10 years.
    Demand government grants for suspension lowering and purchase of miss-sized tyres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement