Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor cleaning kit recommendations for FF

• 16-11-2020 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have 2 FF DSLR's and both sensors need to be cleaned.
    I'm looking for a kit so I can do it myself so any Sensor cleaning kit recommendations for FF?

Want to make sure I get a kit that works without being ripped off by price or quality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

m8 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have 2 FF DSLR's and both sensors need to be cleaned.
    I'm looking for a kit so I can do it myself so any Sensor cleaning kit recommendations for FF?

Want to make sure I get a kit that works without being ripped off by price or quality.

Cant remember the name off the top of my head but arc/artic butterfly Or something like that, it’s a dry sensor brush system, which should remove all dust etc...if memory is correct it’s about €80.

I also use a loupe type of system to take a close look at sensor/interior of body ....again, if memory is correct it’s about €50.

For a wet clean, there are pads which can be used to brush across the sensor, it’s been a few years since I have used these, but they were in a red box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cant remember the name off the top of my head but arc/artic butterfly Or something like that, it’s a dry sensor brush system, which should remove all dust etc...if memory is correct it’s about €80.

I also use a loupe type of system to take a close look at sensor/interior of body ....again, if memory is correct it’s about €50.

For a wet clean, there are pads which can be used to brush across the sensor, it’s been a few years since I have used these, but they were in a red box.

https://visibledust.com/products/arctic-butterfly-724s-super-bright-sensor-brush-for-cleaning-sensor-of-digital-cameras/

I think this is what you're referring to. I use one. But, almost never.

OP...

Switch off your camera before changing a lens. Otherwise, static on the sensor attracts dust.

Never blow on the sensor. Moisture droplets in your breath are far harder to remove than dust.

I suggest you have it factory cleaned and start again with a sensor that looks like new. Mind Canon 5D is three years old and has one almost transparent spot on it that is only visible against a sky. It's possible to keep your sensor like new if you're careful.

Hope that helps.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Whether it's FF, FG or SF, in IMHO there's not much that can be done to clean them.

wandererz wrote: »
    Whether it's FF, FG or SF, in IMHO there's not much that can be done to clean them.

Correct.

Which is why I recommend a factory clean and start again - but, being very careful from then on, it's possible to keep transparent moisture droplets off the sensor. And, physical dust can be removed using the Butterfly - superb kit.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Thanks all for the answers all.

1 of the DSLR I have from new (4-5 years) and never changed the lens with camera switched on, was always careful but still got dust.

Was reading something which I am guilty of and that may have caused my issues. When I take the caps off the camera I may be guilty of just putting them straight into my pocket which I thought was ok but looks like static on the caps may have attracted dust and transferred to the camera when I put them back on the camera. I will use a ziplock plastic bag going forward.

Other camera was a purchase recently and the sensor needs cleaning.

• Advertisement

m8 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the answers all.

1 of the DSLR I have from new (4-5 years) and never changed the lens with camera switched on, was always careful but still got dust.

Was reading something which I am guilty of and that may have caused my issues. When I take the caps off the camera I may be guilty of just putting them straight into my pocket which I thought was ok but looks like static on the caps may have attracted dust and transferred to the camera when I put them back on the camera. I will use a ziplock plastic bag going forward.

Other camera was a purchase recently and the sensor needs cleaning.

Interesting point.

I leave a lens permanently on the camera. Haven’t used a body cap since the day I bought the camera. If I’m putting a lens on the camera, the lens cap goes on the lens I’m removing, never in my pocket.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Butterfly for dusting here and there.
    Visible dust kit for heavier dust.
    A professional whose insurance will pay to replace if they screw it up for anything more than that.

Advertisement