Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found a load of books in the attic

• 16-11-2020 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭

House was not always in my family.
    We are here about 10 years.
    Some of the books are very old, dating from up to 100 years ago.
    I don't want to throw them out because i'd feel guilty if any of them were of any societal value to historians or whatever.

Any idea who I could bring them all to and seek advice what can be dumped and what can be donated where appropriate?

I am thinking the main library in Granary when it is open in new year maybe?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

House was not always in my family.
    We are here about 10 years.
    Some of the books are very old, dating from up to 100 years ago.
    I don't want to throw them out because i'd feel guilty if any of them were of any societal value to historians or whatever.

Any idea who I could bring them all to and seek advice what can be dumped and what can be donated where appropriate?

I am thinking the main library in Granary when it is open in new year maybe?

History Department in Mary I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I've been pmd numbers for the local historians at the library so I'll get on to it if not this week then next. I'll dust off the books, organise them and see where this goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Pat McMahon of Quay Books might be worth talking to too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you make a list of titles, authors and publication date it will be useful to anyone trying to assess what you have.

It will be easier than dragging all the books from place to place.

Also leaf through them all. There may be photos or letters etc. in them.

Thanks for taking the time to look into saving them. So many books get dumped because nobody bothers.

There's loads of clippings from old newspapers and bits like that in them.
    The titles arent always easily clear and some are in Irish. Some of the oldest ones are Irish books.
    I'll put up a few pictures tomorrow

• Advertisement

Got a few pictures up there. Loads more but I'll get on it over coming days

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like a fascinating mix of texts. I might be interested in some of the Irish language books, unless you feel they'd be better off in the hands of a library or historian who might be able to share them with a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I read that Purcell's in birr have monthly book auctions. You could drop them there for their next sale and sit back and make some extra income. Letting us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you consider some might be of heritage interest then I wouldn't be asking some local librarian at all(no offence to any of them), I'd be taking a picture of every book, inside the front cover as well(in case it might be a 1st edition of anything) and then contacting the National Library and asking them if they'd like to peruse the list and have any knowledge or interest in any of them. They might wish to take some off your hands.

https://www.nli.ie/en/ask-a-librarian-query-form.aspx

I found a commererative plate in my garden, dug it up. It was just something celebrating the Ardancrusha power plants construction, cleaned it up, realised what it was and now it's in the small Museum in the power plant. They were really appreciative of it. The only other one they had was in the plant managers office apparently. So yeah, you'd be surprised who might want something you've found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The family of Bridie McNamara in Glin might be delighted to get that book.

I know if someone found something belonging to one of my grandmothers or grand aunts, I'd love to take it and keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Such a lovely collection to find. It would be nice to keep some in the house in a time capsule to pass down to future owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Found a similar batch of books in an old house we bought. This thread reminded me to look back at the books. Must do what someone suggested and list them out

Advertisement