Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend good Windows/Doors company Crumlin area?

Options
  • 16-11-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Howdy all.

Before the smart Alecs get in...yes I can use Google:pac:

But just wondering if anyone might share any companies they've had a good experience with (and who are well priced) for windows and doors in the Crumlin area?

Moving there soon and will need to get them replaced on a 2 up 2 down.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Howdy all.

Before the smart Alecs get in...yes I can use Google:pac:

But just wondering if anyone might share any companies they've had a good experience with (and who are well priced) for windows and doors in the Crumlin area?

Moving there soon and will need to get them replaced on a 2 up 2 down.

Many thanks in advance.

You don't need a local place, most companies will cover s large area.

We used Leinster windows recently and they were good, there can be a fair bit of damage done in replacing them, so just be aware. They will plaster etc afterwards but you'll need to paint.

When you're getting new ones, I'd get as little openings as you can get away with. Each opening is a source for draughts, noise etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Alkers wrote: »
    When you're getting new ones, I'd get as little openings as you can get away with. Each opening is a source for draughts, noise etc

Or just get good windows!!
    There’s regulations with regards upstairs windows having to be able to accommodate firefighters and equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Alkers wrote: »
    You don't need a local place, most companies will cover s large area.

We used Leinster windows recently and they were good, there can be a fair bit of damage done in replacing them, so just be aware. They will plaster etc afterwards but you'll need to paint.

Thanks for that. Yeah I know I don't need to stay totally local but I suppose its a nice place to start. I'll check em out for quote.

Appreciate the reply - cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I realise that you might like to support local but for what benefit. Check out companies in Meath/Kildare who will beat any of the Dublin ripoff prices and are better if there are any follow up issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Edgware wrote: »
    I realise that you might like to support local but for what benefit. Check out companies in Meath/Kildare who will beat any of the Dublin ripoff prices and are better if there are any follow up issues.

Or one more county to the west - Westmeath. I used Wright Windows based on a friend's recommendation. Got all of my windows and external doors replaced in three tranches over two years, very happy with them.

They make the windows and patio doors themselves, the front and rear (kitchen) doors were made in Limerick by Palladio but supplied and fitted by Wrights. They hardly ever advertise, which tells you all you need to know... http://www.wrightwindows.ie/

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »

Fair point...giz a link or two ;)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If we are making recommendations I’d say Say hi with McMahon and Nagle. Very good to deal with even managed to replace my windows without doing any damage so no need to plaster anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

https://www.blackrockwindows.ie/

These chaps done the front of my house in 2017 and the job was excellent, so much so that I've ordered the back of the house with the same chaps, they are excellent tradesmen and did a great job for me. They also did my sisters house and she couldn't be happier, so +2 for these fellas

21/25

uch wrote: »
    https://www.blackrockwindows.ie/

These chaps done the front of my house in 2017 and the job was excellent, so much so that I've ordered the back of the house with the same chaps, they are excellent tradesmen and did a great job for me. They also did my sisters house and she couldn't be happier, so +2 for these fellas

nice one thanks I'll check em out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tim crowe

I used Wright Windows myself and had a terrible experience with them. Their surveyor measured our 6 grand alu clad doors wrong, they installed them, then never engaged us again to rectify. Avoid Wright Windows at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Tim, just wondering if you held back part of the payment. I was thinking of going with Wrights, but now I see this post. Has anyone experienced any issues with Wrights before or if they have any recommendations, I'm based in Dublin, please PM with your concerns regarding Wrights or any other supplier or recommendations regarding any other suppliers, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I recommended Wrights in post #6 above. I had zero problems with them over three installs - front and rear doors and all external windows. The reason I used them was because of a friend's recommendation. He did have a problem with a door but someone came out, agreed that it was a wrong fit and they came back with a new door which they fitted, to my friend's satisfaction.

Poster tim crowe registered the same month as that post you read so that was either his first or second post. I'd be very sceptical that it's a genuine review. At the very least, I'd be certain that there's two sides to the story. Wrights do not just walk away from a customer situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Thanks, coylemj thats good to know and fair enough point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just to echo on Wrights, used them myself without any issues (one window was cracked during transport and they had it replaced by day 2 and they found an imperfection in another that was noticed post install and also fixed quickly).

Parents had an issue with a set of windows measured incorrectly, was noticed by the installer before as well and was sorted a couple of weeks later (they measured again before taking out existing windows, was a 3 part job and this was 1 part of it).

Nothing to do with Wrights, but other neighbours got very expensive alu-clad windows put in during renovation, they were measured too big (about 2-3cms in each direction) but were installed anyway and stick out of the house slightly (but not beyond the wall) the builder was annoyed as the windows were organised separately by the homeowners and he had to try and sort it, still looks stupid (they had to fill in around it).

So, measure and re-measure and measure again :)

(we have a bay window that they produced 2 cills for depending on how the new windows went in and allow for adjustments)

Advertisement