Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Clone Software for HDD to SSD

Options
  • 16-11-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am going to upgrade old HDD on Dell Latitude e5420 to SSD.

What is the best Software to clone the HDD onto the SSD? EaseUs Todo Backup reliable?

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Perfect, thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I use Aomei (Free version). Perfect result every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've had scarce success with "cloning" drives, especially when they're vastly different (e.g. quite old HDD->SSD). I did manage some success with both EaseUS and Macrium Reflect.

The one biggest surprise however was upgrading an old(ish) laptop using Acronis TrueImage - specifically, a version that came "bundled" (read: download link) with a Samsung 850Evo SSD. Mirrored the entire drive perfectly and it's still working three years later. Many SSD manufacturers will recommend a specific software, sometimes providing a personalized version of a commercial package - it's worth trying it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

sugarman wrote: »
    Macrium Reflect.

Very easy to use and have never had a problem backing up and restoring an image.

+1
    Have used this to move to nve
    Flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Clean install IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Clean install IMHO.

of course this is the simplistic option, however person needs to ensure they back up all their data and have all the CD keys/installation files for all the software they had. nothing wrong going back to day 1 scenario at least you start clean/fresh all over again.

If the OS is stable and no questionable activities, then reinstall is a bit OTT especially if you have a lot of software or should i specific software installed that is either time consuming to set back up or no longer have the keys installation files.

For me the time and effort to set everything back up again to the way i want it, clone and go is the best option. For others it maybe a reinstall of windows - depends on circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Thanks for all the input, will probably do a backup on a usb or disc as well. Original discs long gone.

Cloning will be my main option. Already have the USB to Sata cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

+1 for macrium reflect

Found it very straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Gparted live usb

Advertisement