Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build with possible RAM issue

Options
  • 16-11-2020 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

So, built a new PC over the weekend for my not so wee son. His money and he wanted the best in terms of performance.

Spent some time researching with the resulting build listed below. Was lucky enough to bag a 5900x on release day.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Twelve Core 4.8Ghz
    ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    Corsair - HX1000 Modular ATX PSU - 1000W
    Patriot Viper 4 Steel Series DDR4 32GB(2 x 16GB) 3600MHz Kit (x2)
    WD_BLACK SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, with Heatsink
    Corsair H115i PRO RGB water cooling (two ML140 fans)
    Corsair CC-9011078-WW Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition Windowed Full Tower ATX - Black
    Windows 10 Pro
    Current GPU is a 1080 FE card from the old i7 build. This'll eventually get replaced with a 6800 xt when they are actually available.

All stock and it runs like a dream apart from the memory running at a base speed of 2166Mhz when it should be 3600, RAM spec sheet

Can some explain to me, in really simple terms and preferably small words, how to get the RAM functioning at the speed it was advertised at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

petrolcan wrote: »
    So, built a new PC over the weekend for my not so wee son. His money and he wanted the best in terms of performance.

Spent some time researching with the resulting build listed below. Was lucky enough to bag a 5900x on release day.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Twelve Core 4.8Ghz
    ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
    Corsair - HX1000 Modular ATX PSU - 1000W
    Patriot Viper 4 Steel Series DDR4 32GB(2 x 16GB) 3600MHz Kit (x2)
    WD_BLACK SN750 1TB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, with Heatsink
    Corsair H115i PRO RGB water cooling (two ML140 fans)
    Corsair CC-9011078-WW Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition Windowed Full Tower ATX - Black
    Windows 10 Pro
    Current GPU is a 1080 FE card from the old i7 build. This'll eventually get replaced with a 6800 xt when they are actually available.

All stock and it runs like a dream apart from the memory running at a base speed of 2166Mhz when it should be 3600, RAM spec sheet

Can some explain to me, in really simple terms and preferably small words, how to get the RAM functioning at the speed it was advertised at?

Have you turned on XMP settings in the BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

madcabbage wrote: »
    Have you turned on XMP settings in the BIOS?

See that last line in my post? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

in the bios you must turn on xmp, youtube your brand mother board for instructions

asus tuf x570 how to turn on xmp

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

DOCP is what you're looking for with the TUF x570, you want to boot into the bios (mash f2 when turning on the pc), and you should see on the left hand side, just above where it shows your fan RPM a drop down that says DOCP and change that to enabled

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I only realised the other day that when I was using the dram calculator to boost my memory that it had defaulted to 2166hz probably when I did firmware updates and hadn't noticed for most of a year :rolleyes:

Right, DOCP enabled and it just hangs.

Some furious googling and I set it up via advanced settings including putting the voltage at 1.40 (was at 1.35), still hangs.

Bios reset and then it fails to see the m.2 drive as a boot option.

More furious googling and adjusted CRM setting (I think).

Now booting so all is well bar the RAM not running at full speed.

Next plan is to take out two sticks and see whether that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

petrolcan wrote: »
    Right, DOCP enabled and it just hangs.

Some furious googling and I set it up via advanced settings including putting the voltage at 1.40 (was at 1.35), still hangs.

Bios reset and then it fails to see the m.2 drive as a boot option.

More furious googling and adjusted CRM setting (I think).

Now booting so all is well bar the RAM not running at full speed.

Next plan is to take out two sticks and see whether that makes any difference.
    If the docp is not working for your ram then you did not check the ram against the motherboards QVL.
    You may have to enter timings manually and play around with voltages to get the system stable..its a bit daunting at first but you will get the hang of it..check out you tube for manually tuning your ram on your specific board

Okay, so today I learned what a QVL is.

Looks like it's manual timings and voltages play time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Is the BIOS up to date? DOCP profiles tend to be the most commonly updated with each release. I had the same issue with my current system when I put it together, the board had been out for about 3 months prior to the build and the memory type for about a year but it still needed a BIOS upgrade to boot with DOCP enabled.

• Advertisement

Yeah, mb was shipped with latest bios. Bought the mb & processor as a bundle

Advertisement