Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PC HPNL54 microserver - upgrade?

Options
  • 16-11-2020 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have used this PC recently when kids were home schooled with covid.
    It just about coped but got us through. It owes me nothing +7 years but has always been so solid. Originally bought as NAS for KODI etc, with N/flix, Spotify and little time it's not got a look in.

Am looking for input on any upgrade path for this machine. General desktop use under Win 10/Linux - light office apps, used for printing, youtube, scratch coding - would be nice to be able to zoom etc. All suggestions welcome even the straight why would you bother as I know moores law etc.

Currently has Win 10/Linuxmint
    AMD Turion II Neo N54L
    4GB ram
    Graphics card - Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series
    N/W card - NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
    It has 4 SATA harddisks that slot in and room for an SSD up top.
    https://www.serversdirect.co.uk/p/778656/hewlett-packard-g7-n54l-amd-turion-50gb-microserver

I have upgraded bios so it can take up to 16GB and I could put in a SSD for the OS etc. Anything else, I understand the processor is soldered to the board?

Thanks I appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have used this PC recently when kids were home schooled with covid.
    It just about coped but got us through. It owes me nothing +7 years but has always been so solid. Originally bought as NAS for KODI etc, with N/flix, Spotify and little time it's not got a look in.

Am looking for input on any upgrade path for this machine. General use under Win 10/Linux - light office apps, used for printing, youtube, scratch coding - would be nice to be able to zoom etc. All suggestions welcome even the straight why would you bother as I know moores law etc.

Currently has Win 10/Linuxmint
    AMD Turion II Neo N54L
    4GB ram
    Graphics card - Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series
    N/W card - NetXtreme BCM5723 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
    It has 4 SATA harddisks that slot in and room for an SSD up top.
    https://www.serversdirect.co.uk/p/778656/hewlett-packard-g7-n54l-amd-turion-50gb-microserver

I have upgraded bios so it can take up to 16GB and I could put in a SSD for the OS etc. Anything else, is there a cheap processor upgrade path?

Thanks I appreciate any thoughts.

That is almost identical to my current desktop running Linux. Does what I need it to do. I needed a machine with lots more storage for a project so I got a Lenovo IdeaCentre for 250 euro with a terrabyte of storage. It arrived today. I'll put Linux on that too and SSH in from my HP Micro server for what I need done.

Advertisement