Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Loan

• 16-11-2020 11:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking at getting a credit union loan of around 10k .

If I have the loan to be payed back in 4 years but pay it off well before is that better?

will it only affect a mortgage application if it is still getting paid off or if you miss a payment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Danny552 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking at getting a credit union loan of around 10k .

If I have the loan to be payed back in 4 years but pay it off well before is that better?

will it only affect a mortgage application if it is still getting paid off or if you miss a payment?
    The first part is easy and straightforward.
    And can be seen in 2 ways.
    1. By "overpaying " a credit union loan you will save on overall interest paid thus saving you money.
    2. While we do not have complex credit scoring we do have a central record.
    This will show you have a history of paying back a loan which is a positive.
    This usually will stand to you when making future credit applications.

The second part is a bit more complex.

Usually banks look at your overall ability to repay.
    They usually include factors for spouse/partner (working/not working), children, sudden interest rate changes, other financial commitments (loans/credit cards etc.) etc.
    Any missed repayment will probably raise a query/concern, but this will be true in any subsequent credit applications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Danny552

AnRothar wrote: »
    The first part is easy and straightforward.
    And can be seen in 2 ways.
    1. By "overpaying " a credit union loan you will save on overall interest paid thus saving you money.
    2. While we do not have complex credit scoring we do have a central record.
    This will show you have a history of paying back a loan which is a positive.
    This usually will stand to you when making future credit applications.

The second part is a bit more complex.

Usually banks look at your overall ability to repay.
    They usually include factors for spouse/partner (working/not working), children, sudden interest rate changes, other financial commitments (loans/credit cards etc.) etc.
    Any missed repayment will probably raise a query/concern, but this will be true in any subsequent credit applications.

Thanks I dont plan on missing a payment, I plan on paying it off a year before my plan is due but just in case added a extra year .

I will be going for a mortgage in around 2 or 3 years so it will be payed off well before then .

Does it matter how many loans you have had in a credit history or once it was payed back in time that's all that's important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Danny552 wrote: »

Does it matter how many loans you have had in a credit history or once it was payed back in time that's all that's important.
    One loan or a hundred it doesn't really matter.
    In simple terms it's the ability to repay coupled with any missed repayment that will be looked at.

Advertisement