Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New connection

• 17-11-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    Just been told that my (rural) house will be soon connected to fibre broadband (FTTH)...exciting times after years with a mobile vodafone unit giving us anything between 15 and 0.1mb (more the latter if its foggy, raining, windy etc etc...:)

The pole is erected and they have the 'black box' installed on the pole (which im told is a good sign!), i have all the ducts etc installed, ready and waiting. The line isnt live yet so i cant officially apply, but im told this will be live in the next few days. Question is do i have to go with Eir for the initial connection or can i go straight to Vodafone/Sky etc?

Also as its FTTH i have the possibility of 1gig but is this overkill? Eir offer 'up to' 150mb or 1gig - if i was guaranteed close to the 150 i would be happy with that but i am just wary of the 'up to' (thought this wasnt a thing with fibre?!). My wife and i occasionally work from home with VCs etc and kids could be gorging on Netflix. For the sake of 25 euro im tempted to just go for it but that could go towards Eir/Sky tv etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Yay, congratulations. I'm waiting for the NBP for FTTH, but I know from experience that there's no comparison to other technologies.

You don't have to go with Eir. Plenty of other ISPs sell on the OpenEir network. Have a look here.

As for speed, with FTTH, you have a far higher chance of getting what you pay for speed wise. Certainly, there are no "line quality" issues like with xDSL or wireless etc. As far as I know, the 150Mb minimum has now been bumped to 500Mb. Given the use you've outlined, that would more that enough. The biggest advantage of the 1Gb packages is the better upload, but this is only relevant if you have a need to upload a lot of large files for work etc.

Best of luck, and enjoy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RichardL1951

Hope you do get connected in the next few days. I’ve have the fibre optic cable and black box on the road outside my house for 2 years and no sign of being connected. Open Eir customer support are worse than pathetic. I could not reach one person who could tell me when I would be connected. Someone should take a firm hold of that organisation and drag it into the 21st century!

Advertisement