Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouth and Foot Painting Artists Christmas Cards

Options
  • 17-11-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else receive these in the post? 6 cards and a small calendar, they want €12.95 for them supposedly to help artists without hands.

Seems like its a for profit business and not a charity, where only 3% goes to an artist, I don't see a CHY registered number anywhere on the literature and checked the register of charities and doesn't seem to find them.

The head office is based in Liechtenstein

The Irish company, MFPA Publishing Ltd has a shipping address in Pineview House, Firhouse Road, Dublin 16 (a small industrial estate) but the company records show the business registered at 21 Longford Terrace, Monkstown, Dublin. Their accountants are based in Foxrock and the 2 directors of the Irish branch are listed as Mr Denis O'Callaghan (secretary) living in Bali Hai, Ashford Co.Wicklow and Lars Olov Dahlin (managing director) in Odengaten 42, Stockholm, Sweden.

There is a thread here from 2009, 14 and 15 and I'm sure there are others - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055739956

Seems like it's a legit business but that's just it, it's a business, in my opinion it gives the impression that it's a charity.

I can see where vulnerable and older people might return monies for cards thinking it is a charity. They sell other stuff too, books, calendars etc. They only accept cheques or postal orders.

There's a picture of one of their artists with Pierce Brosnan and the current pope with pictures of them painted by an artist.

I've never come across this crowd before and as it all looks legal it doesn't sit right with me.

All the stuff including the cards will be going in my bin. And the Irish Consumer Marketing Database will be getting contacted to have them take my details off them.

Anyone else get them? Would like to hear if so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone else receive these in the post? 6 cards and a small calendar, they want €12.95 for them supposedly to help artists without hands.

Seems like its a for profit business and not a charity, where only 3% goes to an artist, I don't see a CHY registered number anywhere on the literature and checked the register of charities and doesn't seem to find them.

The head office is based in Liechtenstein

The Irish company, MFPA Publishing Ltd has a shipping address in Pineview House, Firhouse Road, Dublin 16 (a small industrial estate) but the company records show the business registered at 21 Longford Terrace, Monkstown, Dublin. Their accountants are based in Foxrock and the 2 directors of the Irish branch are listed as Mr Denis O'Callaghan (secretary) living in Bali Hai, Ashford Co.Wicklow and Lars Olov Dahlin (managing director) in Odengaten 42, Stockholm, Sweden.

There is a thread here from 2009, 14 and 15 and I'm sure there are others - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055739956

Seems like it's a legit business but that's just it, it's a business, in my opinion it gives the impression that it's a charity.

I can see where vulnerable and older people might return monies for cards thinking it is a charity. They sell other stuff too, books, calendars etc. They only accept cheques or postal orders.

There's a picture of one of their artists with Pierce Brosnan and the current pope with pictures of them painted by an artist.

I've never come across this crowd before and as it all looks legal it doesn't sit right with me.

All the stuff including the cards will be going in my bin. And the Irish Consumer Marketing Database will be getting contacted to have them take my details off them.

Anyone else get them? Would like to hear if so.

I get them every year, I've never sent them on to anyone or sent money to that crowd.
    Its unusual alright, but in the grand scheme of things, I suppose its pretty armless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

, I suppose its pretty armless.

I just spit tea all over my keyboard!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ha!

Joking aside it's not harmless or armless for that matter !

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My mother gets sent them constantly as she actually bought some years ago.

Its unsolicited goods as per the legislation, if they don't ask for them back within 6 months they're yours. Or 30 days if you tell them to take them back.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/16/section/47/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There are on the go for donkey's years - since I was a kid (and that's not today or yesterday!) - I remember them coming to the house every year, I have no idea if my parents ever solicited them or paid for them, but they were around the house every year.

I got a set some time recently out of the blue, didn't pay for them or send them back, and haven't got any since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

I have been getting them for years, I just endorse the envelope return to sender and pop in in the post box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

I've got the same but a single tea bag, angels, medals and name and address printed on stickers.

Stuff never asked for - dont know where they got my address - and they looking for cash for it. I'm sure its a big business for them as the included letters are very well worded and convincing.

“Roll it back”

Yeah, joking aside, I've no idea how they got my contact details either. I'm fairly thorough about opting out of all marketing emails / sharing details with sales partners kind of stuff, but in recent years, I notice they've been deliberately making it harder to parse out.

along the lines of 'If you wouldn't not like to refuse marketing emails, omit to not tick the following checkbox, yes?'

Yeah, joking aside, I've no idea how they got my contact details either. I'm fairly thorough about opting out of all marketing emails / sharing details with sales partners kind of stuff, but in recent years, I notice they've been deliberately making it harder to parse out.

along the lines of 'If you wouldn't not like to refuse marketing emails, omit to not tick the following checkbox, yes?'

In very small print it states they got postal details from The Irish Consumer Marketing Database. Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Mine went straight in the bin unopened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Never send them money, might be going out on a limb here, legally speaking, but I don’t think they’d have a leg to stand on.

In very small print it states they got postal details from The Irish Consumer Marketing Database. Never heard of it.

It was run by this company:

https://dataireland.ie/

But I don't think its a currently offered product, GDPR has really hit those sort of things. They could be using an old copy which itself is not that compliant.

L1011 wrote: »

But I don't think its a currently offered product, GDPR has really hit those sort of things. They could be using an old copy which itself is not that compliant.

out of the 'our clients', I've had dealings with Bord Gais, Sky and Eir, so likely one of them - OR, perhaps it was one of those price comparison websites like switcher / confused. I think you have to give consent to your data with them,

Comreg say it's nothing to do with them, to go to Data Protection Commission and see if they run it

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

I received this for the first time a couple of days ago. Didn't have the patience to look into it. But it is a lot of paper.

And the Irish Consumer Marketing Database will be getting contacted to have them take my details off them.

Could you provide the exact address and text please? I will send the exact same then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

My mother gets sent them constantly as she actually bought some years ago.

Its unsolicited goods as per the legislation, if they don't ask for them back within 6 months they're yours. Or 30 days if you tell them to take them back.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1980/act/16/section/47/enacted/en/html

I bin them and all like them, same as those scammers in Eastern Europe and Spain pretending to be deaf n dumb , come onto a restaurant or pub and leave trinkets etc with ya , come back a few minutes later and instead of taking them away, await purchase and payment, I don’t give scammers like these a second, happened in Romania to me , but I wasn’t a bit embarrassed I just swept them to the side and loudly told the sham “ nu multumesc” he got the message. It’s not that I’m a miserable bollox as I was working in an aids clinic over there ( charity) but can’t handle scammers at all

I have a suspicion that nobody waits the 6 months before binning (or just using - but my memory is they're awful) them! Only stating what the legislation is.

Advertisement