Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid furniture

Options
  • 17-11-2020 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know a decent furniture shop in cork?
    Caseys' seems to be doing flatpack laminated or veneer stuff like the rest of the low-cost suppliers now, but with a premium for the name.

I'm looking for a chest of drawers, actual timber, sustainably sourced if possible, not self-assembly with a shaggin' allen key, tongue and groove joinery. Seems to be almost impossible to find.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Does it have to be new? There are two pretty good second hand furniture places that I've found good solid pieces in.

CJM furniture down the Marina
    Second Chance Furniture Vicars Rd - Note the sticker price is usually waaaaay off the mark here, they expect you to haggle I guess, which I find fun - others don't obvs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Doesn't have to be new , happy to reuse good quality secondhand, but I've tried CJM and it's mostly laminate ex-office furniture in there too.

Vicars road I took a look too, but again it's flatpack furniture. Looking for something solid.

Annoying that there isn't a decent furniture shop in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

How about Minogue furniture or EZ living?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

EZ living would have some good solid stuff. Ordered a few things from there including a chest of drawers which was not flat pack and is very solid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Seems to be very hard to find a good solid book case for books and cds although that Minogue furniture has a couple of decent ones so might be in in luck.

• Advertisement

Fancy a trip to Mitchelstown?
    https://www.larryokeeffe.com/

We got solid birch and ash furniture from them. Very good quality and rock solid. Good to deal with.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Ludo wrote: »
    EZ living would have some good solid stuff. Ordered a few things from there including a chest of drawers which was not flat pack and is very solid

I got a few bits from EZ living in the last few months. Very happy with the quality as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not sure if they’re in Cork but I was looking at solid dressers & bookcases a while back in Woodies of all places. Changed my mind thou despite them being a v good price & beautiful wood when I tried to lift them :0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

pwurple wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be new , happy to reuse good quality secondhand, but I've tried CJM and it's mostly laminate ex-office furniture in there too.

Vicars road I took a look too, but again it's flatpack furniture. Looking for something solid.

Annoying that there isn't a decent furniture shop in Cork.

Yeah I would guess they place on Vicars road can be very hit and miss. We were luck to get some great pieces in there, but there was a lot of laminate/chipboard too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its all cheap and throw away stuff now. Fast Fashion

If you want something quality and have the money get something made by a cabinet maker.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Its all cheap and throw away stuff now. Fast Fashion

If you want something quality and have the money get something made by a cabinet maker.

Well, that's depressing as f. We're just not demanding it here for some reason? If I change my location to the UK I get wayfair, westelm, Ercol, OakFurnitureLand and a million other furniture suppliers.

I have some bits from cabinet makers where I couldn't find a piece to fit, but a chest of drawers should be easy enough to locate. It's not a crazy unusual item. Just something like this:

Chest of drawers

Thanks Ludo, but a lot of ez livings stuff seems to be fake ish when I looked at it too.

The first one is pine pretending to be walnut. Second one is peg and glued drawers rather than joints...

Very little real furniture there either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Wayfair deliver here if thats something you really want - just beware when we got a bed from them the box showed up absolutely shagged, complained and got another and that showed up shagged too and we had to dispose of two broken beds, whoever their logistics provider was was not good. But that could be quite bad luck and you may do better

They do, you're right, but for the reasons you've mentioned like the risk of damage I'd avoid. And also, I would LIKE to support a local shop if I could. If it existed. :D

With furniture, ideally you'd be able to see it and touch it before buying it too.

Fb marketplace, donedeal, adverts etc are my next port of call.

Thanks Ludo, but a lot of ez livings stuff seems to be fake ish when I looked at it too.

The first one is pine pretending to be walnut. Second one is peg and glued drawers rather than joints...

Very little real furniture there either. :(

I know what you mean my mother has this chest of drawers from when we were kids that has been refinished over and over, painted, used in my house, used in my sisters and refuses to throw it out. Its like everything, it just ain't built to last anymore. I bought 2 chest of drawers from ikea last month for €50 each, its easier and cheaper to throw it out than move it to another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rob316 wrote: »
    I know what you mean my mother has this chest of drawers from when we were kids that has been refinished over and over, painted, used in my house, used in my sisters and refuses to throw it out. Its like everything, it just ain't built to last anymore. I bought 2 chest of drawers from ikea last month for €50 each, its easier and cheaper to throw it out than move it to another room.
    Good to see ikea are now looking to implement a buy-back option for furniture to reduce waste and promote re-use/re-puroposing of their products.

Just to piggyback on the thread somewhat - if anybody has recommendations for where in Cork/Ireland is good for kitchen islands I'd appreciate it, I got steered towards a place on Tramore Rd. recently but they only sell kitchens, Cork building providers have some decent options also but given people might be firing out furniture places here - if they know of one that covers kitchen islands I'd appreciate a tip

D'Agger wrote: »
    Good to see ikea are now looking to implement a buy-back option for furniture to reduce waste and promote re-use/re-puroposing of their products.

Just to piggyback on the thread somewhat - if anybody has recommendations for where in Cork/Ireland is good for kitchen islands I'd appreciate it, I got steered towards a place on Tramore Rd. recently but they only sell kitchens, Cork building providers have some decent options also but given people might be firing out furniture places here - if they know of one that covers kitchen islands I'd appreciate a tip

Cash and Carry might do them and their stuff is really good.

D'Agger wrote: »

I was in O Sullivan Brothers/Express Kitchens the other day and I'm sure they had kitchen islands. An Island is only carcasses arranged, paneled and w work top cut to fit, I dont think you actually buy an island its designed. I maybe wrong though. That's atleast how I made my ikea one.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tiger20

Hi OP, we recently bought some furniture from Batavia in Fermoy. We wanted something to a specific size and after not been able to find anything, we called to them with a sketch and our own measurements. It is being made to order in Indonesia, solid hardwood from what are sustainably sourced. They have a FB page, worth checking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It is hard to get decent solid furniture, especially mahogany.
    I got this chest of drawers recently, it was about the best I could find and its very solid.
    They had a narrower and taller version too but that is discontinued.

https://www.ezliving-interiors.ie/outback-3-over-4-drawer-chest

I looked in CJM, the condition of their stuff was pretty poor, worn and marked.

Tiger20 wrote: »
    It is being made to order in Indonesia, solid hardwood from what are sustainably sourced. They have a FB page, worth checking

Thanks, but no interest in getting Indonesian custom made furniture shipped here. Shipping this stuff half way around the world isn't a sustainable approach no matter where what sustainable forest they are using, and if it's cheap enough to make sense, then those carpenters are practically slave labour. Just doesn't' sit with my conscience. European timber is about as far as I'll venture.

I've given up on Cork, getting it from Dublin instead.

I've given up on Cork, getting it from Dublin instead.

Did you find anywhere decent ?

Is Rosewood furniture still in demand ?
    My folks are selling a tv unit cabinet which is in good nic.

Zardoz wrote: »

IKEA :-)

Arnotts.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Is Rosewood furniture still in demand ?
    My folks are selling a tv unit cabinet which is in good nic.

It doesn't seem to be as popular nowadays but there is always a market for it.
    You cant beat mahogany furniture, it looks quality and lasts forever unlike the cheaper painted furniture so common nowadays.
    Mahogany wood is not as plentiful as it was due to environmental restrictions so the price of it is more expensive.

Arnotts.

Crazy prices in Arnotts and a very poor selection

• Advertisement

Crazy prices in Arnotts and a very poor selection

Yup, don't I fecking know.

I don't know any furniture shops in Dublin either, it was that, or up north.

Advertisement