Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cappuccino

Options
  • 17-11-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

I've gotten two bad coconut Cappuccino's from a new place, one I bought myself and one bought by a workmate. They were made by two different baristas on two different days and the milk wasn't foamed at all, it was just like a normal milky cup of tea. Is this from the milk being too hot/cold or are they doing something else wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've gotten two bad coconut Cappuccino's from a new place, one I bought myself and one bought by a workmate. They were made by two different baristas on two different days and the milk wasn't foamed at all, it was just like a normal milky cup of tea. Is this from the milk being too hot/cold or are they something else wrong?

Coconut milk wouldn't be easy to foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Coconut milk wouldn't be easy to foam.

It's not as easy as regular milk but they do a pretty good job of it in other places, I actually got an Americano this morning as a test and the coffee is very sour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

I guess it depends where you got it from? Have you had a Cappuccino with regular milk from the same shop? How was that? Could just be poor baristas and as someone else mentioned it would be more difficult to get the same texture with coconut milk as full fat milk but not impossible at all. Try a regular one if you can and see if it is the same, if so then I suggest finding a new coffee shop!

DilD wrote: »
    I guess it depends where you got it from? Have you had a Cappuccino with regular milk from the same shop? How was that? Could just be poor baristas and as someone else mentioned it would be more difficult to get the same texture with coconut milk as full fat milk but not impossible at all. Try a regular one if you can and see if it is the same, if so then I suggest finding a new coffee shop!

I mentioned it to a workmate who drinks reg milk and he says there's something strange about it too. It's like any kind of milk is curdling in the coffee, is that a temperature thing?

I mentioned it to a workmate who drinks reg milk and he says there's something strange about it too. It's like any kind of milk is curdling in the coffee, is that a temperature thing?

Curdling as in excess foamy texture? Likely pushing too much air in when steaming and it creates this texture. Is the milk also very hot? As in hard to sip from even? Have you tried a latte or flat white from them? They should be less foamy, but to be honest if they muck up a cappuccino then you can safely assume they will also muck up any other coffee.

Is it an independent shop or a chain store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

First World issues LOL

First World issues LOL

You're not wrong. People out there working on a vaccine for Covid and we're here trying to figure out why our Cappuccinos are too foamy :D

I hate bad coffee though lol

DilD wrote: »
    Curdling as in excess foamy texture? Likely pushing too much air in when steaming and it creates this texture. Is the milk also very hot? As in hard to sip from even? Have you tried a latte or flat white from them? They should be less foamy, but to be honest if they muck up a cappuccino then you can safely assume they will also muck up any other coffee.

Is it an independent shop or a chain store?

It's not very hot, it's like the layer of foam is very thin, and once you've sipped that away you can see that the milk is kind of separated from the coffee.

First World issues LOL

It's the small pleasures that can keep you going during lockdown.

It's not very hot, it's like the layer of foam is very thin, and once you've sipped that away you can see that the milk is kind of separated from the coffee.

I know what you mean, had a few of them in the past, not a nice experience. To be honest I would just suggest changing coffee shops, paying for something like that is a waste of money IMO. Are you based someone in Ireland with decent speciality shops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Plus, I'm sure a lot of folks in the worst slums of Rio or Sao Paulo avail themselves the right of a coffee critique.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

You mentioned in your first post it's a new place - would you maybe say something to them about it? They might appreciate the feedback and they probably don't want to be serving shyte coffee!
    Maybe they have a coffee provider who can come out and give training/check the machine etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No matter where I buy a Latte I always say the ones I make at home are better. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

If they're using the Alpro Barista Blend, the coconut will be blended with soy milk. Not sure of any others (though my info is old) that are soy free and function like dairy milk when frothing etc., they tend to split. Even the own brand (vile muck) from a certain chain that's known as the home of the PSL, iykwim.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    If they're using the Alpro Barista Blend, the coconut will be blended with soy milk. Not sure of any others (though my info is old) that are soy free and function like dairy milk when frothing etc., they tend to split. Even the own brand (vile muck) from a certain chain that's known as the home of the PSL, iykwim.

They're using the Koko brand one, I think it's the coffee itself after I tried an Americano, it's very sour for some reason.

Advertisement