Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X-files, was there ever a better science based TV series?

• 17-11-2020 3:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I find myself having to repeatedly refer to muh mate google for terminology definitions.

They allude to fairly in depth scientific concepts constantly, but in fairly concise format (2 to 3 line explanations).

I honestly think it's the reason the series went as long as it did.

It was driven by the exploration of a diverse area of scientific concepts, not just blunt entertainment.

This was in full flight/all the rage, when I was a kid, and other kids used to rave about it (I never really watched it back then).

I have no idea how kids that age could possibly have understood the depth of concepts being referred to (which each episode seems to revolve around).

But it's pretty awesome.

In addition it alludes to government and grand societal conspiracies and political agendas.

There is of course the primary theme of "little green men", it perhaps slightly falls down here as this is the only part I can't fully buy into - but I absolutely dig the government conspiracy/power struggle sub plot, pulling in clips of real life events

In more recent times I think the closest we've got to scientific based TV/films was probably "Breaking Bad", which was decent, but absolutely not on this level.

Anything I may have missed out on?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Fringe' would be one of the closer examples of what you're talking about which covers a variety of different types of situations, especially in the earlier episodes.

The X-Files conspiracy stuff descended into absolute muck, but yes it did have a good range before that, from cryptozoology to tech to aliens to supernatural horrors. I bought, years and years ago, two volumes on the science of the X-Files so I know what you mean.

If you're looking for scientific realism in shows/films there's a good number that are more accurate so I guess you mean in terms of the themes the show talks about? Trying to couch supernatural, or the unknown, in science?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Different strokes, for me BB blows XF out of the water, to the high heavens. But I've never really been one for sci-fi, or big on conspiracy theories or aliens ... did enjoy Stranger things though - which is probably in line with the type you're referring to?

I ended up with a partner who adores all that conspiracy stuff though, which sees us argue over what to watch more often than not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was a very nerdy, un-dumbed-down drama called Regenesis that ran between 2004 and 2008. It mainly about biological threats and I loved it.

Given the age of COVID, I must dig it up for a rewatch - haven't seen it since it ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ghosts, cryptids, monsters, alien landings etc. aren't science.
    They're folklore and pseudoscience and a goodly chunk of the History Channel these days. *rolls eyes emoji*

That said, I did enjoy the earlier XF before it outstayed its welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

X-Files had science in it? First I heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

X Files with the great acting, conspiracy theories and only a little let down by the bad alien plot lines would've been even more successful if it came out 7-10 years later. It is like a Joe Rogan Experience podcast slapped into a 90's tv show.

Really love every episode but as to how it runs as a series it is badly let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pixelburp wrote: »
    X-Files had science in it? First I heard.

It had a seance in it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Eureka! That was a great series based around science. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Any show that 'invents' the Heisenberg Compensator knows its science for me. Star Trek - always used somewhat plausible concepts to explain all sorts of strange science. Apparently, they put all their ideas through the scientific wringer by having appropriate scientific experts review them. Probably my favourite SCiFi series ever was Star Trek - Next Generation.

as an aside...
    then of course you have the time and relative dimension in space machine. Basically a phone box :pac::pac::pac:. Loved Dr Who as a child. Have the first ever series on DVD. Amazing how it comes flooding back 55 years later.

But my first experience ever of Science Fiction was Torchy The Battery Boy. It can be found on Youtube. I loved it, and I was about 4 or 5 (so 1959/60). Now it looks grotesque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Ghosts, cryptids, monsters, alien landings etc. aren't science.
    They're folklore and pseudoscience and a goodly chunk of the History Channel these days. *rolls eyes emoji*

That said, I did enjoy the earlier XF before it outstayed its welcome.

At what point (season) did it begin to outstay its welcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

At what point (season) did it begin to outstay its welcome?

I think maybe season 6 or 7 and the Aliens arc got to be a bit of a drag. At least the monster of the week episodes were still fun.

Also, 9/11 happened and it felt like network TV no longer had a place for 'spooky threats'. Real life issues were the order of the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

fluke wrote: »
    I think maybe season 6 or 7 and the Aliens arc got to be a bit of a drag. At least the monster of the week episodes were still fun.

Also, 9/11 happened and it felt like network TV no longer had a place for 'spooky threats'. Real life issues were the order of the day.

The political dynamic in the US after Sept 11th was such that it became seriously uncool to question government. That made the show unviable as much as its longevity and the absence of Mulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

MacGyver!
    " The adventures of a secret Agent armed with almost infinite scientific resourcefulness."

Advertisement