Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location history

Options
  • 17-11-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭

When you go into location history on iPhone does it give times you the time you visited, and how far does it go back ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

For each significant location, it gives you an arrival and departure time for each date. See example attached.

This information is pretty hidden away in:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services (scroll to the bottom) > Significant Locations (at the bottom of the first section) > then you'll see a history of significant locations, that you can click into for more detail.

I don't know what the definition of a "significant location" is, but it does not list all locations you've been to.

As for how far it goes back, the oldest record I have is from November 2019. I've had this phone since February 2019, and this account for many years, so it's certainly not a complete history.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Just reading up a bit more on "Significant Locations". All Apple seems to say about them is:
    Significant Locations: Your iPhone and iCloud connected devices will keep track of places you have recently been, as well as how often and when you visited them, in order to learn places that are significant to you. This data is end-to-end encrypted and cannot be read by Apple. It is used to provide you with personalized services, such as predictive traffic routing, and to build better Memories in Photos.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207056

It does not explain how a "Significant Location" is defined. Looking at my list, there must be something that triggers them being defined, as not all places I've been to are listed: Navigating to the location using Apple Maps, taking a photo there, a certain number of visits to the same location, but that's just me guessing based on what I see in my list. It also seems to be time limited - guessing again, but it looks like records automatically drop off after a year.

The list can be cleared, and the feature can be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just reading up a bit more on "Significant Locations". All Apple seems to say about them is:

It does not explain how a "Significant Location" is defined. Looking at my list, there must be something that triggers them being defined, as not all places I've been to are listed: Navigating to the location using Apple Maps, taking a photo there, a certain number of visits to the same location, but that's just me guessing based on what I see in my list. It also seems to be time limited - guessing again, but it looks like records automatically drop off after a year.

The list can be cleared, and the feature can be turned off.
    I think she will be using said location data to ‘prove’ she was at home when she was not , at least not during normal hours . Ie not at 5am.

Advertisement