Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Primetime 17 Nov - COVID cycling infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Thanks for the heads up. I've set the Sky box to record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭satguy

Well done RTE , another own goal.

We have a judge that won't go, hospitals are full, old people are dying in our nursing homes, and to top it all Helen McEntee only put one name forward.

This is what they do with our Licence fee money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Conor Faughnan cycling WITHOUT a helmet or hi-viz! Geez RTE will be flooded with complaints! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, any verdicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

well, any verdicts?

Segment just started on +1, just seen tom dumoulin in his sunweb gear going up constitution hill.

• Advertisement

Verdict is... nobody is against cycling, BUT....blah, blah, blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Short enough report. Usual arguments from both sides.
    That cycle lane in dun laoghaire looks class in fairness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

De Bhál wrote: »
    Segment just started on +1, just seen tom dumoulin in his sunweb gear going up constitution hill.
    did he get the KOM though? there's some chancer who has that and i'm convinced he had the bike strapped to the back of a car so i reckon dumoulin doesn't stand a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Conor Faughnan cycling WITHOUT a helmet or hi-viz!

Or road tax

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It i an incredible bit of infrastructure all the way along there.
    Or road tax
    Must get that myself, don't have it for the bike or the car, the gardai have ever stopped me for it though?!? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was surprised to hear that school principal in Deansgrange against the proposed cycle path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I was surprised to hear that school principal in Deansgrange against the proposed cycle path.

I live in the area. Most people in business in the area appear to be against it. Anybody of a certain age (older) is against it. Everybody on social media is against it. For people like me in favour of it, I have given up voicing my opinion or trying to inform people.

It reminds me of the recent work on Blackrock Main Street. Everybody was apparently against it but official submissions were 72% in favour. And now most people think its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

In a nutshell.... except for the the lady who said something about residents on different roads/streets having different views depending how it affected them personally. That was revealing.
    I was expecting the usual engineering by paint, or at best a few cat's eyes, or plastic wands, but that was very impressive. Great to see and looks like the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

To be honest I was surprised at a school principal expressing a view like that. Would want pretty much unanimous support of student / parent body and / or obvious safety concern to students to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a148pro wrote: »
    To be honest I was surprised at a school principal expressing a view like that....
    I was only half listening to it but I thought her point was that the closure to motorised traffic of one direction on a local road to facilitate the cycle track would lead to increased traffic around the school.

I was only half listening to it but I thought her point was that the closure to motorised traffic of one direction on a local road to facilitate the cycle track would lead to increased traffic around the school.
    Yes but looking at comments on Twitter, this is unlikely to happen. As one person commented, the rat running through estates is unlikely, given the geography .

https://twitter.com/Rubashov4/status/1328998166235140096

...and...

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1329000324514897922

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Up on RTE Player (fast forward to 23 minutes in)

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/prime-time/SI0000000825?epguid=IH000383039

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Kop Idol wrote: »

Cheers. Bunch of shops and businesses I won't be supporting anymore!

daragh_ wrote: »
    Cheers. Bunch of shops and businesses I won't be supporting anymore!
    Make sure to tell them of your decision.
    Maybe also tell them where you will now shop instead.
    Might help them focus their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Love the shot of a Car Carrier parked on a double yellow and taking up half the pavement while that woman from one of the auto traders makes her 'argument' about the proposed bike lane effecting deliveries to her business.

My 12 year old daughter walks or cycles that way to and from school everyday. But screw her safety - we have to offload all our cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jhansynk10

My friend does work for DLRCC and apparently all these changes have being in the pipeline for years, it's just taken Covid to push them through due to so many objections.

Fairplay to them!

Make sure to tell them of your decision.
    Maybe also tell them where you will now shop instead.
    Might help them focus their minds.

something like this which I recently sent to FXB.. no reply as yet.

Hi folks,

As a long time customer of your excellent shop in Deansgrange, I note with disappointment that you have signs up opposing the proposed cycle lane on Deansgrange Road. This is a project that I am in favour of and which I think will be of benefit to the area. Personally I (and some of my friends and neighbours) have decided to no longer support local businesses who are openly against the proposals. I have switched back to Dunnes Cornelscourt for all my meat purchases. Maybe sometime in the future I can return to supporting your business but not in the short or medium term,

Regards,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Does anyone have a list of the shops involved? So I can have a boycott list? I can't bring myself to look at it, it's been a long, long week!

Yeah.. god forbid that some kids who are currently driven to school would now be able to cycle to school instead!

Yeah.. god forbid that some kids who are currently driven to school would now be able to cycle to school instead!
    I think she was saying that the increase in motor traffic near the school would deter would be cyclists rather than the new cycle tracks encouraging them.

I think she was saying that the increase in motor traffic near the school would deter would be cyclists rather than the new cycle tracks encouraging them.

Well I'l have to give her the benefit of the doubt as I don’t live in Deansgrange. I can’t help thinking that a cycle lane can only make it easier for people to cycle and very unlikely to make traffic any worse than it already is.

... I can’t help thinking that a cycle lane can only make it easier for people to cycle and very unlikely to make traffic any worse than it already is.
    I'm not familiar with the area either but if a road is closed to facilitate a cycle track, it's highly likely that traffic will increase in other routes nearby. She was saying that traffic will increase near the school because of a closure elsewhere. I'm only repeating her assertion BTW - I don't know.

I'm not familiar with the area either but if a road is closed to facilitate a cycle track, it's highly likely that traffic will increase in other routes nearby. She was saying that traffic will increase near the school because of a closure elsewhere. I'm only repeating her assertion BTW - I don't know.

Ok but that suggests that any cyclists that use the newly built cycle lane are not locals and / or are not motorists who have left their cars at home?

The crossroads in Deansgrange is one of the most chaotic in South Dublin around school times. I cant actually imagine it being any worse. What is really sad about the principals comments is that the existing cycle track in Clonkeen Park which is being upgraded has direct access to the school yard from it. You probably couldn't have a better design for school kids coming from the Clonkeen Park direction. So with the addition of a safe cycling lane from the other direction (Deansgrange road) you really have safe routes from both major directions to the school

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2781976,-6.1624852,3a,75y,30.42h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7z659F-BPCPBRXN5-qz7Vw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D7z659F-BPCPBRXN5-qz7Vw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D19.342096%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Just think its very unusual for a school principal to comment on anything political or controversial. Unless it was very clear cut.

Advertisement