Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redevelopment of R132

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭PCros

I'd imagine the increase in working from home will see a lot of families re-think the need for 2 cars and all of the tax, insurance etc they can save.

Valid point indeed.

Remains to be seen if people will generally prefer WFH. Personally I would like a mix of going in and working from home.

Next years census will be really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

PCros wrote: »
    But she crossed the road where the bridge is a couple of meters away down near Foxwood where the bus stop is.

It appears she crossed the south bound lane, over the island and got hit in the bus lane on the northbound side. Back when things were normal that roundabout was always backed up and cars would slip into the bus lane if they were turning left onto the R106 into the village. I'd take a guess she was crossing through stationary traffic when it happened.

But I do agree the Travelodge crossing is indeed another issue.

Both of my pair have part time jobs in Airside. I'm constantly urging them to take a lift home, as that crossing at Pinnock Hill roundabout can be lethal. If crossing from the Airside end, it's difficult to see vehicles approach adequately as they often do so at speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭plodder

rushfan wrote: »
    Both of my pair have part time jobs in Airside. I'm constantly urging them to take a lift home, as that crossing at Pinnock Hill roundabout can be lethal. If crossing from the Airside end, it's difficult to see vehicles approach adequately as they often do so at speed.
    I think there's a pedestrian crossing of the dual carriageway planned for there.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Completely incorrect. See graph at bottom of last page;

https://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/newsevents/documents/census2016summaryresultspart2/Chapter_8_Travel_patterns_and_car_ownership.pdf

The percentage of two car households in Dublin City and suburbs is little over 20%, about the same as no car households. Note that that is households which would include groups of adults in houseshares, so not all are families.

"Families"

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

plodder wrote: »
    I think there's a pedestrian crossing of the dual carriageway planned for there.

There certainly is, but you know yourself. Some can't be bothered making the effort to walk the extra few metres, even though it greatly increases their safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well the car insurance had to pay out, so I am not that concerned, I thought the council had been found liable before I read the article. If the driver was speeding and failed to apply the breaks, which is disputed, then finding him 1/3 liable seems fair enough. If he were not speeding and had applied the breaks then I would expect the poor girl would have been 100% liable for her own misfortune.

It was a female driver who was involved not a male driver. The speeding could not be proved in court or brakes not used.

This is why our car insurance is the highest in the EU if not the world.

There is a Book of Quantum which is normally used for assessing parts of the body for pay awards.

I had a family member who was knocked down by a car in 2017, was knocked un conscious and suffered a head injury, had to get a large amount of stiches and staples to the head, was hospitalised for 1 week, and to this day still suffers headaches and memory loss, only got 30k via PIAB.

This compensation award of €3.2 million is totally off the richter scale. The Judge should be investigated.

https://www.piab.ie/eng/news-publications/Corporate-publications/Book-of-Quantum.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Not sure whether she settled the (€3.2m) court action, or whether she settled (the court action) for €3.2m.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Not sure whether she settled the (€3.2m) court action, or whether she settled (the court action) for €3.2m.:confused:

Any settlement has to be agreed upon by both sides. In my work experience, its usually the insurance company who suggests it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So FCC are now making an application to An Bord Pleanala for this;

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/application-bord-pleanala-fingal-county-council-r132-connectivity-project

Haven't yet looked in detail but not much seems to have changed from the consultation which will please absolutely nobody. The bus lanes still lose priority to left turning traffic at the junctions, cyclists rely on the attentiveness of left turning drivers when continuing straight through junctions, buses have to cross the cycle lanes to get to stops and the bus stops themselves remain in no-mans-land between the junctions negating the attractiveness of taking a bus.

The only noticeable change from my quick scroll through the drawings is to allow for a bloody U-turn between the Malahide Road and Seatown junctions! If a U-turn is the answer, then you are asking the wrong question.

Are they actually sending the Drynam Road traffic back towards the R106?? Out of the 3 solutions for that road they've picked the worst. :confused:

However, they seem to be adding a crossing at the Pinnock Hill roundabout which is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Massive increase in traffic lights, crossings and a lowering of the speed limit to 50kmph. This will be pretty terrible for a section of roads that generally (Pavilions roundabout aside!) flow quite well and have no existing issues apart from potentially a couple more bridge crossings along them being required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    So FCC are now making an application to An Bord Pleanala for this;

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/application-bord-pleanala-fingal-county-council-r132-connectivity-project

Haven't yet looked in detail but not much seems to have changed from the consultation which will please absolutely nobody. The bus lanes still lose priority to left turning traffic at the junctions, cyclists rely on the attentiveness of left turning drivers when continuing straight through junctions, buses have to cross the cycle lanes to get to stops and the bus stops themselves remain in no-mans-land between the junctions negating the attractiveness of taking a bus.

The only noticeable change from my quick scroll through the drawings is to allow for a bloody U-turn between the Malahide Road and Seatown junctions! If a U-turn is the answer, then you are asking the wrong question.

Not really. U turns are a very common way of getting to destinations on long lengths of median-separated, but low speed, carriageway in the US. It works extremely well where appropriate.

Allowing traffic out via R106 is a mistake as is 50km/h, 60km/h should be the bare minimum. And all the toucan crossings should be subways or bridges.

Also, WHY does the crossing at Pinnockhill need to be so close to the damn roundabout? Push it just 50-100m further down, to stop traffic backing up.
    If anything on a 50km/h limit it should be a pelican crossing, no lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

sdanseo wrote: »
    Not really. U turns are a very common way of getting to destinations on long lengths of median-separated, but low speed, carriageway in the US. It works extremely well where appropriate.

Allowing traffic out via R106 is a mistake as is 50km/h, 60km/h should be the bare minimum. And all the toucan crossings should be subways or bridges.

Also, WHY does the crossing at Pinnockhill need to be so close to the damn roundabout? Push it just 50-100m further down, to stop traffic backing up.
    If anything on a 50km/h limit it should be a pelican crossing, no lights.

Unfortunately our current self-centred car culture doesn't respect pelican crossings. It doesn't respect traffic lights either of course, but on a busy traffic day where, as Pat Kenny would say with his weasel words- "people are fed up and *JUST WANT* to get home", a pelican crossing is just going to be stopped on and otherwise pretty much ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sdanseo wrote: »
    ..WHY does the crossing at Pinnockhill need to be so close to the damn roundabout? Push it just 50-100m further down, to stop traffic backing up....
    It's close to the roundabout to encourage pedestrians to use it. If it was 100m away, many pedestrians would still cross at the roundabout.
    sdanseo wrote:
    ...If anything on a 50km/h limit it should be a pelican crossing, no lights.
    Our car centered culture makes many motorists view pedestrians as nuisance and many motorists simply don't abide by the rules regarding pelican/zebra crossings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's close to the roundabout to encourage pedestrians to use it. If it was 100m away, many pedestrians would still cross at the roundabout.

Our car centered culture makes many motorists view pedestrians as nuisance and many motorists simply don't abide by the rules regarding pelican/zebra crossings.

I understand both of these arguments but to my mind that then means we need better enforcement of the rules around these things. Tackle the cause, the culture, not plan around it.

If motorists refuse to stop for pedestrian crossings, they should be arrested for dangerous driving.

If pedestrians refuse to use crossings provided at a distance which provides a compromise between their safety and the flow of traffic, then they should be fined for jaywalking.

Because the state has effectively abdicated its responsibility to properly enforce some laws, instead we have to make do with, and purposefully design, solutions that are mediocre or just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The most dangerous crossing is between Airside Business Park and the Pavillions, I have used it innumerable times due to the lack of a decent crossing spot, you come out the alley, leg it over the 3 lanes into the large median strip, walk though the gap in the hedge and then cross again to gain access to the Pavillion's carpark to buy your lunch, continue your walk home, access Swords or whatever.

Is this being addressed at all in these plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Great to see this going ahead, having cycled the bypass hundreds of times going to work, I was sick of the close passes from buses, taxis and abuse from drivers on the roundabouts and think these changes will still be an improvement despite some of its problems

Inquitus wrote: »
    The most dangerous crossing is between Airside Business Park and the Pavillions, I have used it innumerable times due to the lack of a decent crossing spot, you come out the alley, leg it over the 3 lanes into the large median strip, walk though the gap in the hedge and then cross again to gain access to the Pavillion's carpark to buy your lunch, continue your walk home, access Swords or whatever.

Is this being addressed at all in these plans?

It's being addressed at the roundabout at Pinnock Hill, you'll cross over at the Travelodge. Although I take it you are based in Lakeshore Drive which doesn’t help you at all.

I'm surprised nobody has opened a coffee shop/sandwich place around Airside/Lakeshore with all the businesses. Your only option really is risking it for the Pav or going to Tesco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Capall Box up outside the Wright Venue do toasted sandwiches, I've heard they're really good. The Rolling Heifer beside it do amazing smash burgers, loaded fries, hotdogs etc - they're only there from Wednesday-Sunday though. There's also O'Briens and Subway up there, so the upper end is well provided for.

So there is a decent selection. I knew about the The Rolling Heifer but the others I hadn't a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

PCros wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has opened a coffee shop/sandwich place around Airside/Lakeshore with all the businesses. Your only option really is risking it for the Pav or going to Tesco.

There used to be Cafe Kenya in one of the buildings, back 15 years ago that was really the only food option around, predating the Pavillions etc. etc.

Since then you have Camille and Costa at Tescos, you have O'Briens and Subway at Hogs and Heifers, as well as the multitude of options available in the Pavillions from the food court to Nandos and KFC, Chopped to Starbucks etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

KFC in the Pavilions is no more. Walked past it a couple of days ago and the entire place is not only closed, but stripped completely inside as well so it's not coming back. I didn't use it often, but it was always nice when a bucket of chicken was required, closest now is either Santry or Northside Shopping centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭The Davestator

dar83 wrote: »
    KFC in the Pavilions is no more. Walked past it a couple of days ago and the entire place is not only closed, but stripped completely inside as well so it's not coming back. I didn't use it often, but it was always nice when a bucket of chicken was required, closest now is either Santry or Northside Shopping centre...

Santry gone too I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Its well needed. The merge from the bypass was hairy scary at it's best. I was always happy to get off it put it that way

Advertisement