Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nov 2020 DCC Update on the Implementation of Proposed Cycling Projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Great to see updates like these. Thanks for posting it here.

I see under the Point Junction Improvement Scheme that the review of the previously approved scheme recommended that a two-way cycle track be provided on the west side of East Wall Road. Last week Dublin Port published plans for a major new cycle route linking the Toll Bridge to the Tolka Estuary Greenway to run along Bond Road and the east side of East Wall Road. Hopefully the two public bodies can get together and synconise their plans. Provided the designs for the junction include an underpass, the Dublin Port proposal seems the more sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Great to see updates like these. Thanks for posting it here.

I see under the Point Junction Improvement Scheme that the review of the previously approved scheme recommended that a two-way cycle track be provided on the west side of East Wall Road. Last week Dublin Port published plans for a major new cycle route linking the Toll Bridge to the Tolka Estuary Greenway to run along Bond Road and the east side of East Wall Road. Hopefully the two public bodies can get together and synconise their plans. Provided the designs for the junction include an underpass, the Dublin Port proposal seems the more sensible option.

Anything i have ever seen about the S2S scheme seems to always gloss over or ignore how they intend crossing the Liffey safely. The new path through the port will I think exit near the Eastlink. Is the Eastlink the preferred or indeed only option to get the S2S across the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Anything i have ever seen about the S2S scheme seems to always gloss over or ignore how they intend crossing the Liffey safely. The new path through the port will I think exit near the Eastlink. Is the Eastlink the preferred or indeed only option to get the S2S across the river?

aren't they planning to attach a cantilevered cycle bridge onto the East Link?

loyatemu wrote: »
    aren't they planning to attach a cantilevered cycle bridge onto the East Link?

That was confirmed as a viable option by the bridge engineers years ago but DCC have always planned for a separate pedestrian/cyclist bridge just upriver of the Toll Bridge. I really don't know why they dismissed the cantilevered option as it would be way cheaper, quicker to build and they now own the Toll Bridge.
    Both options could link easily enough into Ringsend Park and on via Sean Moore Park to Strand Road.

Update: Discovered today that they have started the process of appointing Engineers and Architects to design the new pedestrian/cyclist bridge and to widen the existing Toll Bridge!

Very good presentation by Kieran Baker of the Dublin Cycling Campaign on Building Dublin's Future Cycling Network on https://www.dublincycling.com/videos/building-dublins-future-cycle-network
    It starts with updates from the chairs of some of the Campaign's local sub-groups and Kieran's presentation is about 17min in. Well worth watching if you are interested in better cycling facilities in the Dublin area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

That was confirmed as a viable option by the bridge engineers years ago but DCC have always planned for a separate pedestrian/cyclist bridge just upriver of the Toll Bridge. I really don't know why they dismissed the cantilevered option as it would be way cheaper, quicker to build and they now own the Toll Bridge.
    Both options could link easily enough into Ringsend Park and on via Sean Moore Park to Strand Road.

Update: Discovered today that they have started the process of appointing Engineers and Architects to design the new pedestrian/cyclist bridge and to widen the existing Toll Bridge!

Surely any bridge would need to open for boats

trellheim wrote: »
    Surely any bridge would need to open for boats

Yes. All existing and future bridges up as far as the Matt Talbot bridge are designed to be opened. In practice, the Toll Bridge is the only one that is regularly opened.

Advertisement