Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky or Virgin Media broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm just finishing a year with Sky (Siro) and I've booked a switch back to Virgin next month. Virgin's router was better, it covered the whole house with good wifi speeds. I ended up having to buy my own router to get respectable wifi speed with Sky. Over the year there were a bunch of outages with Sky too, which I never remember with Virgin, and Sky's customer support was terrible. Virgin's may be equally bad but I never had to use it.

Overall 1gb on Sky ended up seeming worse on average than my previous 300mb (if I remember correctly) on Virgin and it was a good bit more expensive for a TV + Broadband package, I don't know how the price breaks down if doing broadband only.

That's my experience but I'm sure it varies for different people and different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was a Virgin customers years ago, I didn't have too many issues other than problems at the time with Netflix speeds being very slow and taking a whole to dial into full speed, that was a widespread issue specific to Virgin (or was it UPC at the time?), and issues with some people getting IPV6 addresses.
    Are these still issues, or is everything perfectly smooth for Netflix/Disney+ etc and gaming? I'm contemplating going back to them myself at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hurrache wrote: »
    Are these still issues, or is everything perfectly smooth for Netflix/Disney+ etc and gaming? I'm contemplating going back to them myself at the moment.

The funny business with LG strong arming Netflix is over for now, though they'll always have a strained relationship when there's a conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers Ed E, I remember it well at the time.

Any point in asking for an IPv4 address these days, or are the issues that came with a v6 gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You might get a v6 only address on sign up, on request they revert you. Takes a few mins on the phone, its no longer a case of trying 10 times to find an agent who understands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement