Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 Stock Updates - *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This will be good for others in the future. To avoid you losing progress on your page use a new window for the next part . Once you had the console up on any site: open a new window for the add to basket. Once it's in the basket: new window for moving to checkout.

I assume that's what you did, except with macros / scripts.

I wasn't quite so methodical, but basically this. Any time you get a new url back from an action, stick to that, and unless it's at a point where it explicitly says not to refresh, then stick at it until 'something' happens - even if it's just a redirect to another url, and that url fails, that's progress. Don't try to reload the initial page or start over just because that new url didn't load. If you can figure out ahead of time if there's a standard checkout/cart url, that can be helpful too - if you think maybe something has gone into your cart, try to load that checkout url in another window also, and maybe that will load and the item will be in the cart already, even if you got a timeout on your request to add to cart.

Stuff may be going on on the backend with your request even if you don't get a response, so keep an eye on your email for confirmation mails. That might be all you get in terms of feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

It shat itself during the second round of pre-orders, so sits in the same boat as the others you mentioned. It only stayed afloat for the initial orders because it was unannounced.

They certainly have managed the launch the best out of the lot, but their Web offering is no better than the rest.

I mean amazon.co.uk crashed completely, with the best servers and most advanced load balancing in the world.

Blaming Smyths, a fairly tiny toy store, for suffering the same fate, is probably a bit unfair !! :D

Their website, and the way the company is run in general, seems quite good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 am0019

Does anyone know the last date smyths was taking orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thanks I have a friend in the uk so no issue there, just been stuck in that pending position for a while now....

Brilliant hope you get sorted

am0019 wrote: »

Day after they playstation announced date everything was gone in a hour I say. I had one in my basket site crashed nd lost it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 am0019

dave1982 wrote: »
    Day after they playstation announced date everything was gone in a hour I say. I had one in my basket site crashed nd lost it

Surely then if they havent had any up since theyre due to have some up any time now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I mean amazon.co.uk crashed completely, with the best servers and most advanced load balancing in the world.

Blaming Smyths, a fairly tiny toy store, for suffering the same fate, is probably a bit unfair !! :D

Their website, and the way the company is run in general, seems quite good IMO.

Not disagreeing at all. My preference would have been to get one from Smyths because they are clearly head and shoulders above the rest. It's just that my initial point holds true, I wouldn't be surprised if the site is automated and the Web master turns his phone off at 9pm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SPwr1990

Posted on adverts.ie

Screenshot-2020-11-19-19-59-26-902-com-opera-browser.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

LookingFor wrote: »
    I wasn't quite so methodical, but basically this. Any time you get a new url back from an action, stick to that, and unless it's at a point where it explicitly says not to refresh, then stick at it until 'something' happens - even if it's just a redirect to another url, and that url fails, that's progress. Don't try to reload the initial page or start over just because that new url didn't load. If you can figure out ahead of time if there's a standard checkout/cart url, that can be helpful too - if you think maybe something has gone into your cart, try to load that checkout url in another window also, and maybe that will load and the item will be in the cart already, even if you got a timeout on your request to add to cart.

Stuff may be going on on the backend with your request even if you don't get a response, so keep an eye on your email for confirmation mails. That might be all you get in terms of feedback!

It also helps (if you’re tech savvy) to open up the developer tools in chrome [f12]. On the network tab you can see the backend api calls. If you see 502, you know it’s timing out for example, or a 200 is successful. You can also cancel timeout redirects back and wait explicitly for the next action.

This worked really well on DID as I was able to get all the way to the end of the process, waiting for the 200’s and retrying the 502’s without it crashing and reloading, by blocking the reload command.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Brilliant hope you get sorted

Thanks Dave, still pending so probably no chance but sure see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

cance wrote: »
    It also helps (if you’re tech savvy) to open up the developer tools in chrome [f12]. On the network tab you can see the backend api calls. If you see 502, you know it’s timing out for example, or a 200 is successful. You can also cancel timeout redirects back and wait explicitly for the next action.

This worked really well on DID as I was able to get all the way to the end of the process, waiting for the 200’s and retrying the 502’s without it crashing and reloading, by blocking the reload command.

Sorry I don't have a clue what any of that means.

All I know is DID crashed on me with one in the basket. It did set up an account for me. Got that email but it won't let me log in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

People selling for a profit are scum. People giving to friends and family for cost price aren't.

More than a whiff of sour grapes coming from your post.

I got an Amazon order for my friend/brother in law and one in Smyths for myself. If I had managed to bag another one today I would have snapped it up for a nephew or maybe my wife's family.

Am I a terrible person because some kid I don't know might be without one? If I hadn't gotten one, my nephew would have been one of those kids. What even is your problem?

Profiteering is disgusting, sorting out friends and family isn't.

ooh look... Its Robin Hood........:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I was one of the last to get an order going by the Boards.ie pre-order thread and I ordered Sep 17, 2020 11:55 AM

Surely then if they havent had any up since theyre due to have some up any time now?

I'm watching the xbox on smyths too to try work out if ps5 will be same. I seen few xboxs pop up in random stores round country.. I guessing it's non collection of preorders. Its a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

Sorry I don't have a clue what any of that means.

All I know is DID crashed on me with one in the basket. It did set up an account for me. Got that email but it won't let me log in

Oh dont worry. It was just anecdotal. I wish you the very best in your search.

I read your story / reason and it hit me right in the feels. I’ll keep looking even just to check back and ensure you get one.

So 9pm smyths or was that just a rumour?

Imagine they mayhem if there was not a level 5 lock down and shops were open. People be killing each other. I remember fights over Kevin the carrot

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Will wait until there are a few more games out and will buy again in the new year.

I heard 10

• Advertisement

I heard 10

Smyths is starting to lag already

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I heard 10

I was told 10:30-midnight

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I was told 10:30-midnight

Haha long night ahead so for us

Damn got kicked out of Argos @( anyway will check sites later, im sure be few available before xmas!

I'm prepped for 9. Laptop, and phones going. My gut is telling me smyths won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Do u not have 2 already?

cance wrote: »
    Oh dont worry. It was just anecdotal. I wish you the very best in your search.

I read your story / reason and it hit me right in the feels. I’ll keep looking even just to check back and ensure you get one.

Thank you.

Just off phone to CEO of smyths told me they are sold out. So need need to try on his website tonight... I'll be there though🤣

Just off phone to CEO of smyths told me they are sold out. So need need to try on his website tonight... I'll be there though🤣

Best of luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Smyths has been saying expected stock in December. Was something similar wrote under the new Xbox before sales launched at night?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement