Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

registering a non running motorcycle

Options
  • 18-11-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

I'm planning to rebuild a motorcycle that I have the frame of, I have the V5C for the frame / VIN number from the UK, and want to get it registered in Ireland before I start restoring it.

Anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

VRT needs a running bike afaik, you can't just register a frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

CJhaughey wrote: »
    VRT needs a running bike afaik, you can't just register a frame.

i was thinking that.
    Its more to avoid the hassle of once the bike is working again and registering it in Ireland as a working bike, especially with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

goblin59 wrote: »
    I'm planning to rebuild a motorcycle that I have the frame of, I have the V5C for the frame / VIN number from the UK, and want to get it registered in Ireland before I start restoring it.

Anyone done this before?

No has to be capable of being brought in under its own power.
    Also has to be whole they won't reg an empty frame.
    Brexit may cause ya a headache down the line too.

Not at all a simple solution but you could get another bike and swap everything over and reg it as a running machine, then rebuild it at your leisure.
    You will also incur significant financial costs once the transition ends on 31st Dec.
    I have heard that it will be 10% on the purchase price plus transport and Insurance. Then an additional 21% VAT on top of that price. Then the VRT...

Not at all a simple solution but you could get another bike and swap everything over and reg it as a running machine, then rebuild it at your leisure.
    You will also incur significant financial costs once the transition ends on 31st Dec.
    I have heard that it will be 10% on the purchase price plus transport and Insurance. Then an additional 21% VAT on top of that price. Then the VRT...

ah ****, I'll try to rush the damn thing to at least be running before the end of the year and then take it apart again.
    Dad has a DR650 here too, so might be able to borrow parts

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    ah ****, I'll try to rush the damn thing to at least be running before the end of the year and then take it apart again.
    Dad has a DR650 here too, so might be able to borrow parts

It will essentially be the same as importing a Japanese car. By all accounts a pain in the proverbial.
    Doesn't have to be perfect as long as they can get the vin off the frame, it arrives under its own power they'll tale your money.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    It will essentially be the same as importing a Japanese car. By all accounts a pain in the proverbial.
    Doesn't have to be perfect as long as they can get the vin off the frame, it arrives under its own power they'll tale your money.

I think its fine to trailer it in as long as you can start it.
    Some VRT places are stickier than others about lights etc.
    There might be a waiting list as well for VRT assessments so best to make the appointment asap.

Mjolnir wrote: »

I better check it has a VIN number. I might have to register it before shot blasting incase it becomes unreadable

I think its fine to trailer it in as long as you can start it.
    Some VRT places are stickier than others about lights etc.
    There might be a waiting list as well for VRT assessments so best to make the appointment asap.

I know of a few clearly unroadworthy vechicles brought in on a trailer and refused, if I remember correctly it must appear to be a roadworthy machine. I never even started mine just turned the key for her to get my millage.
    I'd assume like most things in Ireland if you trailer it in it depends on who you get on the day. If its obvious its roadworthy is doubt they care too much.
    I know of lads trailered it around the corner rode it in to the centre then back to the trailer because they didn't want to take chances.

Advertisement