Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart smoke alarm (not Nest)

Options
  • 18-11-2020 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. Anyone know of or recommend a smoke/carbon monoxide alarm that has smart abilities

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

djdunny wrote: »
    Hey folks. Anyone know of or recommend a smoke/carbon monoxide alarm that has smart abilities

Why not Nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Was actually looking into going with some sort of smart CO2 / Smoke alarm myself and was strongly thinking of NEST. Would be keen to hear why not NEST and also what other options are worth looking at.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have the Nest alarms and find them great especially as they are linked to the cameras so they take a photo if there's an emergency, the path lights are great as well but I only use those in the wired ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Clareman wrote: »
    I have the Nest alarms and find them great especially as they are linked to the cameras so they take a photo if there's an emergency, the path lights are great as well but I only use those in the wired ones.

Possibly hard to answer as you're fully in the NEST ecosystem, but given that I'm not likely to go that route at all, are these something I can use as standalone items and perhaps achieve some basic level of integration with something like Home Assistant to generate triggers like alarms, turn the lights on, send a notification etc?

Many thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just realised that I've a Yale alarm as well that does all that as well as motion, it's never triggered and it's part of the alarm system that I never use but it might be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Possibly hard to answer as you're fully in the NEST ecosystem, but given that I'm not likely to go that route at all, are these something I can use as standalone items and perhaps achieve some basic level of integration with something like Home Assistant to generate triggers like alarms, turn the lights on, send a notification etc?

Many thanks

Yeah they can be standalone but it's more advantageous to use them in conjunction with other products in the ecosystem. E.g. I have the Nest thermostat and the Protect will turn off the boiler in the case of fire.

I have two battery powered Nest Protects, one for upstairs and downstairs. The spotlight is a great feature at night and the devices self-test every month. Other than that, you don't notice them.

If you have more than one device they link up together so one alarm going off triggers the others.

Advertisement