Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bargain gravel bike!

Options
  • 19-11-2020 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

Ever since I sourced a CAADX for a mate of mine, I’ve wanted a cross/gravel/do everything bike, basically a winter bike but more fun than an old road bike.

I’ve amassed quite a selection of spares, so I’ve been on the hunt for something cheap for the last while to put them all onto and I’ve finally found it!

Frame is a Ridgeback Flight, started life as a hybrid but was converted to a gravel bike by the previous owner. Reasonably aggressive geometry for a hybrid too, so I reckon it’ll suit a drop bar conversion. Some others have already done this so it mustn’t be a terrible idea!

Specs are cable disc brakes, 11 speed 105 Groupset and a set of Alexrims wheels I've had sitting since I bought my DD turbo. I’ve just purchased a 105 r7000 left shifter (thanks bargain thread) and second hand 5800 front and rear mechs

Aiming to keep the bike as cheap as possible, I’d expect to be in for about 300 quid when it’s all done and rolling. Waiting for Black Friday to get some sales on the consumables (tires/chain/cassette etc)

This is half a build thread and half a recommendations one!

What’s the general consensus on endurance/light off road gearing? It has a 50/34 at the front so I’m thinking 11-32 at the rear for a nice wide range.

Tires I’m totally lost on. I’d like tan or brown wall tyres because I think they look nice ( :D ) Frame can take up to 40’s but I’m liking the look of the Challenge Limus. Think they come in a 33c! How much does it affect the handling in going up towards a 38c? Again primarily a road tire that I will take off road the odd time!

All suggestions gladly accepted!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've just got jack brown blues 33.3. roll very nicely. Wouldn't be much on muddy tracks but I think they'd be more than adequate on packed type gravel and the broken bridal ways we have here

My own off roadisj bike is 48/32 with an 11-34 at the back. Can just about get up anything this far

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Interested to watch this build. I've been away from cycling for years so I don't really "get" the gravel bike thing. Having it all done for 300 would be impressive. The frame must have been practically free!
    I've been toying with buying the Brand X frame from Chain Reaction to build up a turbo only bike, even sticking with 10 speed Shimano (because that's what all my other stuff is!) the costs will add up.
    Where are all these bargain parts?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've just got jack brown blues 33.3. roll very nicely. Wouldn't be much on muddy tracks but I think they'd be more than adequate on packed type gravel and the broken bridal ways we have here

My own off roadisj bike is 48/32 with an 11-34 at the back. Can just about get up anything this far

They look a winner to me! Unfortunately they’ve got brown and tan wall options which means I have to choose!

Good to hear about the gearing, sounds like I’m in the right ball park anyway. Think it’s a 110bcd so should be easy to swap if I don’t like them.

gn3dr wrote: »
    Interested to watch this build. I've been away from cycling for years so I don't really "get" the gravel bike thing. Having it all done for 300 would be impressive. The frame must have been practically free!
    I've been toying with buying the Brand X frame from Chain Reaction to build up a turbo only bike, even sticking with 10 speed Shimano (because that's what all my other stuff is!) the costs will add up.
    Where are all these bargain parts?:rolleyes:

I have to say, I was quite content with my road bike running 25’s but having had a spin on my mates bike running the 33’s with a bit of an off road thread I found that any speed I lost on road was made up for in fun factor of being able to do the same speed off road. Even now that he’s switched to 32c GP5000’s, it’s still more comfortable than mine!

Yeah 300 is probably more than it will cost in the end if I’m honest but that’s the budget I have so why not spend it all! :D

eBay is your best friend for parts, the combined front and rear mechs cost me €40 second hand for example. Set up an alert for any items you want, and check on it the odd time. Using Parcel Motel lets you get parts from the UK with no fuss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I've same but if I had a choice I'd go bigger again on the back, if derailleur can take it

Re tires, 33s I would think a good compromise between road and would be fine for Coillte trails. I would go with them but some of the more regular gravel cyclists on here would recommend 40s. I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    I've same but if I had a choice I'd go bigger again on the back, if derailleur can take it

Re tires, 33s I would think a good compromise between road and would be fine for Coillte trails. I would go with them but some of the more regular gravel cyclists on here would recommend 40s. I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

I’ve actually got a 11-34 on another wheel so I guess I could try it out, no harm, no foul! I know the derailleur is only rated for 32 but I should be able to eek a little more out of it. If I really love the bike I’ll probably invest in one of those clutched GRX rear derailleurs...the upgrades never stop!

Definitely going towards 33’s for sure for the boots! Have messaged a friend to borrow his schwalbe’s to see how they look!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think WTB do a very nice tan wall one, panaracer do a gravel king in all manner of exotic colours, with a puncture resistant line too (SK)

having said that, having done the bike for so cheap it would be a shame to spend a lot on tyres

Also it goes without saying that the thread is as important as the tyre size, if you're looking to roll fast on roads there are a few tires which are kind of slick in the middle and a bit knobbley on the sides, I suspect most brands do something like that. Depending on how aggressive you want to be off road and how much mud you see yourself engaging with that would probably be ideal for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Great idea for a thread. Definitely interested in how much it comes to, I was looking at a Brand X build too but found a second hand bike with the same spec much cheaper than I would have done the build I wanted (also a 105 11-speed). My last build cost about 1400€ though on a spec that would have come to 2000€ new (Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra disc which rrp'd for 2499 although I skimped on the shifters

a148pro wrote: »
    I think WTB do a very nice tan wall one, panaracer do a gravel king in all manner of exotic colours, with a puncture resistant line too (SK)

having said that, having done the bike for so cheap it would be a shame to spend a lot on tyres

Also it goes without saying that the thread is as important as the tyre size, if you're looking to roll fast on roads there are a few tires which are kind of slick in the middle and a bit knobbley on the sides, I suspect most brands do something like that. Depending on how aggressive you want to be off road and how much mud you see yourself engaging with that would probably be ideal for you.

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m after out of a tyre, fast enough on road and decent with light off roading too.

PlanetX have a few well priced offerings for about £40 for a set, and Wiggle have the Gravelkings on sale for €36 per tyre at the moment.

Going to hold fast until Black Friday though and see if I can get anything more discounted, not that I mind spending a few quid on tyre’s, they’re the only thing keeping me on the road after all!

Great idea for a thread. Definitely interested in how much it comes to, I was looking at a Brand X build too but found a second hand bike with the same spec much cheaper than I would have done the build I wanted (also a 105 11-speed). My last build cost about 1400€ though on a spec that would have come to 2000€ new (Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra disc which rrp'd for 2499 although I skimped on the shifters

I’ve noticed that for sure sometimes it’s better to buy a full bike than build. I was actually looking for a complete bike to work away on over lockdown but I really could do with using some of the many spare parts I have!

The Caad12 is a lovely bike! I’ve a Supersix disc myself. Big fan of the geometry on that whole range of Cannondales. And the look, cant beat the classic styling IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Well done on starting the build; I'm all for doing things as cheaply as possible and still getting the most out of cycling. ( my current 3 bikes are all 2nd hand; a Genesis equilibrium bought 5 years ago for 550, a €200 fixed On One and a €600 purchase rolling chassis Fugio on road for €900)

First off, wherever you budget don't budget on tyres. To enjoy off road cycling and to it as safely as possible with grip AND comfort imo tubeless is a must. By all means go ghetto if you are comfortable with it. For what you have described the Schwalbe G one speed or all rounder would work well. Try rose for a good price. I don't think I'll ever bother with tubeless on road but for off road they are worth the new skills you need to learn and kit to buy.

I currently have sets of Panracer Gravelkings and WTB riddler in shed in 37 and 45 but can't comment until I use them.

If you were starting from scratch and wanted to budget I would say, especially with cable discs, go 8/9 or being flash 10 speed. Cheaper more durable chains/parts for Irish gravel which is really muck and sh1te. Bar you are using some high end wax lube and applying it after ever spin your chains won't last long, miss a bit a wear and its new drive train time.

A bike you don't give a sh1te about is great especially when off road.

Since you have a 2x system don't bother with a clutch rd. I never needed one on a 1x mtb.

For your type of riding and with budget in mind 1x11 system are a bad idea. Low life chains, sh1tty chainlines will need more replacing in long run.

For gearing, the cheapest new crankset I could could find was a GRX 42/30 from Germany. I'll get in shortly but am currently managing with an old and very high mileage tiagra 50/34 converted to 44/34. The high end would be perfectly adequate for most leirsure road riders not to mind off road/back road riding. I have a 34 on rear and the 1/1 is just about ok. Put my off road stuff is typically really hard, plenty of 20% plus. Off road ramps, if you want to keep traction you need to keep sitting and keep weight on rear wheel and power eveninsh.

Depends on your fit/riding but an aggressive frame isn't what I'd want off road. Most "advances" pushed on cyclist are primarily marketing horsesh1t but the head tube angle on modern aggressive hardtails and some more off road focused gravel bikes are great at giving a rider more confidence on rough downhill off road.

My own bike including rolling frame set I finished with a 300 dynamo wheelset from Rose and the parts box
    *tiagra crank after service on 3 other bikes and over 50k km
    *9 speed xt rd on used on 2 other bikes
    * RHS 5600 shifter on at least 2 other bikes
    *LHS sora from my 2006 Trek 1000
    *€20 sora form lbs

Meet Rubbles (3.5 yr old maybe a Paw Patrol fan...)

Wow, thanks for all the advise. Lots to dig through there!

I never skimp on tires or brakes, purely because they’re the only thing keeping me on the road so if they’re pricy, then so be it. The Schwalbe’s look good. Don’t think my current wheels are tubeless compatible unfortunately.

I’d have probably gone 10 speed too if I didn’t have so many 11 speed parts. I do tend to be fairly meticulous with maintaining my bikes and I view the cleaning after a winter ride as almost therapeutic.

Currently using Muc Off Hydrophobic lube at the moment, is there any other alternative I should look at when that’s gone? I’ve a bottle of standard Muc off Dry and Wet lubes here somewhere too.

1x is definitely something in looking at down the line too, but since it came with a 2x, I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth!

Lovely bike by the way, really nice colour!

So the work begins!

Bought a wheel set from Weepsie ages ago and I’ve been meaning to getting around to removing the stuck skewer for age, but haven’t needed the wheel so it’s sat in the back of a wardrobe since I bought it.

Came off with a little ‘mechanical leverage’, popped one end of the skewer in the vice, and an adjustable pliers on the other and easy as that! The Dremel didn’t even leave its drawer! :D

I’m assuming regular road skewers are fine for an off road application? I’ve a set of Prime ones here.

Not too sure weather I’ll keep the stickers. Might be a bit busy looking with the tan wall tires too. Will decide on that once it’s rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭cletus

What vice have you got?

cletus wrote: »
    What vice have you got?

That's a good question! My dad put the workbench together so I've no idea, I'll see if there's any markings on it later on this evening.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    So the work begins!

Bought a wheel set from Weepsie ages ago and I’ve been meaning to getting around to removing the stuck skewer for age, but haven’t needed the wheel so it’s sat in the back of a wardrobe since I bought it.

Came off with a little ‘mechanical leverage’, popped one end of the skewer in the vice, and an adjustable pliers on the other and easy as that! The Dremel didn’t even leave its drawer! :D

I’m assuming regular road skewers are fine for an off road application? I’ve a set of Prime ones here.

Not too sure weather I’ll keep the stickers. Might be a bit busy looking with the tan wall tires too. Will decide on that once it’s rolling.

They were the wheels on my Genesis. Now replacecd with some Dynamo wheels.

If memory serves me right the rear was quite a light build, one of those cheap merlin ones that perform way better than you'd think for the price

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-alex-cx28-chosen-cx-disc-wheels-700c-81721.html

Freehub had a lovely reassuring sound too

They were the wheels on my Genesis. Now replacecd with some Dynamo wheels.

If memory serves me right the rear was quite a light build, one of those cheap merlin ones that perform way better than you'd think for the price

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-alex-cx28-chosen-cx-disc-wheels-700c-81721.html

Freehub had a lovely reassuring sound too

The very ones! The rear has been a solid workhorse on the turbo, be nice to have it on a build :D

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Will be interesting to see this build.
    Tyre wise, the best rated gravel tyre by rolling resistance is the conti terra speed, i think they do a tan wall. But personally i have ahabit of paying a fair chunk for tan wall tyres for the looks. I think the main thing is whether you want a knobbly or a slick tyre. Panaracer offer a nice slick gravel tyre.
    Gearing wise id say go bigger than 11 32 either 11 34 or 11 36. Personally id get a hanger extender and a sram 11 36 cassette, although you can run shimano medium cage road derailleurs with 11 36 if you want, shifting isnt perfect though. Good thing about 11 36 is you can keep the same cassette for 1x aswell. Another thing is grx derailleurs work with 105 shifters so room to upgrade in the future. Imo when youve got a 1:1 ratio ie 34:36 or 34:34 you can spin up anything once your reasonably fit.
    I’m assuming regular road skewers are fine for an off road application?
    Strong enough definitely be careful though gravel bikes use either 142 mm thru axles or qr x 135 where as rim brake road skewers or x130 so 5mm too short

Tony04 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see this build.
    Tyre wise, the best rated gravel tyre by rolling resistance is the conti terra speed, i think they do a tan wall. But personally i have ahabit of paying a fair chunk for tan wall tyres for the looks. I think the main thing is whether you want a knobbly or a slick tyre. Panaracer offer a nice slick gravel tyre.
    Gearing wise id say go bigger than 11 32 either 11 34 or 11 36. Personally id get a hanger extender and a sram 11 36 cassette, although you can run shimano medium cage road derailleurs with 11 36 if you want, shifting isnt perfect though. Good thing about 11 36 is you can keep the same cassette for 1x aswell. Another thing is grx derailleurs work with 105 shifters so room to upgrade in the future. Imo when youve got a 1:1 ratio ie 34:36 or 34:34 you can spin up anything once your reasonably fit.

Strong enough definitely be careful though gravel bikes use either 142 mm thru axles or qr x 135 where as rim brake road skewers or x130 so 5mm too short

Yeah I’m thinking the Jack Brown Blues in the brown wall for tyres. Panaracers do look nice too.

Going to borrow a set of Schwalbe’s in 33c from a friend, just to test the fit

I’ve got an 11-34 so I’ll try it with the rear mech I have, if it doesn’t work, no big deal, I’ll run the 32 for now!

The Prime skewers I have are from a set of disk wheels so they are the correct length. One less thing to buy!

Yeah I’m thinking the Jack Brown Blues in the brown wall for tyres. Panaracers do look nice too.
    I know a couple of people running the slick panaracers and have only heard good things about them. Fast enough on the road and well capable of offroading.
    I’ve got an 11-34 so I’ll try it with the rear mech I have, if it doesn’t work, no big deal, I’ll run the 32 for now!
    If its medium cage it will definitely work. Apparently you can get an 11 40 mtb cassette working with the new 105 rds
    https://road.cc/content/feature/how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-adventures-246424

• Advertisement

I know a couple of people running the slick panaracers and have only heard good things about them. Fast enough on the road and well capable of offroading.

If its medium cage it will definitely work. Apparently you can get an 11 40 mtb cassette working with the new 105 rds
    https://road.cc/content/feature/how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-adventures-246424

It’s only a short cage, but am seeing people getting it to work. Cheap enough if I do want a medium cage!

Cheap enough if I do want a medium cage!

Never thought id care about Brexit, but im really starting to hope that it doesnt become a nightmare to order those used parts bargains off ebay uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It’s only a short cage, but am seeing people getting it to work. Cheap enough if I do want a medium cage!

I run a short cage 10sp 105 with 11-42 for a few years now, no problems.

Welcome back Alek!! Gravelling before the lot of us.

I've a long cage 6700 rd on my genesis. I think i'd get a 36 on no problem, Sunrace have a 10-40 cassette in 10 speed that I'd like to try too I think. Gain something on both ends of the range.

Never thought id care about Brexit, but im really starting to hope that it doesnt become a nightmare to order those used parts bargains off ebay uk.

Used stuff would be exempt from import duty no? Would still have to pay VAT on it though I guess!

Alek wrote: »
    I run a short cage 10sp 105 with 11-42 for a few years now, no problems.

Thanks Alek. Good to know!

You're welcome!

Weepsie, I've realised recently I miss this whole cycling lark, and this old kip here :D

So, back on the bike, back on the boards. Logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Alek wrote: »
    You're welcome!

Weepsie, I've realised recently I miss this whole cycling lark, and this old kip here :D

So, back on the bike, back on the boards. Logical.

Welcome newbie 😉

Welcome newbie 😉

Ya still chasing gravel KOMs on 23mm slicks? ;}

• Advertisement

Nothing exciting to report but parts have started to trickle in!

2x Band on mech adapters since there wasn’t one with the frame, and the previous guy wasn’t sure what size it took.

and 2x chains since they were on sale!

Had my order cancelled for the front mech I had bought but found a 105 7000 for €25 posted on adverts so that’s on its way.

I am after getting an unexpected bonus, so I’m very tempted to put the cheap(I paid 200 for the set) carbon wheels on and buy a nice set of wheels for the nice bike!

That’s totally not in the spirit of this thread, but deep carbon wheels with big tyres is a look I like!

Advertisement