Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating an Old House.

Options
  • 19-11-2020 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I am really trying to figure out is it worth renovated an old property (50+years) or to build a new one?
    My dilemma is the old house which is 200x100 and has high ceilings would need a complete renovation i.e. roof, flooring, heating, an upstairs, bedrooms/bathooms, kitchen, insulation and the list goes on. The house is also built of thick stone walls. What would the cost be on such a build and where can I get answers?
    Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CJ22345 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am really trying to figure out is it worth renovated an old property (50+years) or to build a new one?
    My dilemma is the old house which is 200x100 and has high ceilings would need a complete renovation i.e. roof, flooring, heating, an upstairs, bedrooms/bathooms, kitchen, insulation and the list goes on. The house is also built of thick stone walls. What would the cost be on such a build and where can I get answers?
    Any help would be appreciated greatly!

My renovation costs for a 1930s detached 200m2 house is north of 600K for deep refurb, seems like it would be cheaper to start from scratch based on insurance cover/rebuild numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Aurelian

GreeBo wrote: »
    My renovation costs for a 1930s detached 200m2 house is north of 600K for deep refurb, seems like it would be cheaper to start from scratch based on insurance cover/rebuild numbers.

Just finishing a complete renovation of a house, 50% of which is 150 yes old. I essentially built a new house within the old house, with new heating, floors, insulation, windows etc etc was much more cost effective than building from scratch.

Advertisement