Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x06 - 'Scavengers' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

4 when Mikey Spock said “I reversed engineered” the tracker yoke to find book, thatsnot what the term means.

At the time all I could think of was that scene from the Princess bride, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

All she had to say was he wears the same.one and it can be used to track both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I hate the way they keep referring to number one as a rank.

It’s executive officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My musings...

Dont like nacelles seperate from ship.
    I like new Com badges thinges

Why is it a 'A' and not just a refit. Since the discovery is technically 930 years old, but actually less than five?

Prison escape was fun

I thought Andoran antennas regrow after a few months

Grudge the cat is not a cat.

Burnham should be a Lt. Not a commander.

Emperor actually had a use.

Saru is a decent Captain

Are they changing the uniforms?

Will we ever see the warp core up close?

Ship needs a Badgey for emergency situations

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭D3V!L

4/10 from me, needs more crying, feelings and minority couples.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I hate the way they keep referring to number one as a rank.

It’s executive officer.

I thought it was first officer (hence no.1 as a nickname), which is the same as an executive officer in many militaries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭corkie

Why is it a 'A' and not just a refit. Since the discovery is technically 930 years old, but actually less than five?

I thought Andoran antennas regrow after a few months

Ship needs a Badgey for emergency situations

"Fans may note that lettered designations are typically applied to brand new ships that bear the same name and registry numbers as their predecessors. They're usually not given to vessels undergoing a refit. But it's been 900 years. Starfleet probably had to make enough upgrades to Discovery that the finished product was considered a new starship for all practical purposes."

"The antennae would eventually grow back, within nine months if left untreated, and in half that time with the use of electrical stimulation and brisk cranial massage."

As for Badgey, we have 'Zora' starting to get sentient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭pah

How the fuçk did Books ship end up at starfleet HQ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Grudge the cat is not a cat.

I suspected there was more to the cat when Booker made an oddly phrased claim that she was a queen back at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So, in 3 weeks, they take a thousand year old ship, upgrade it with brand new tech, completely redesign the interface and do it with minimal testing and user training. As a software developer that bit was giving me a nervous breakdown. In the real world, you can't change a field in an excel report without it breaking a dozen things.

I was thinking the same things as a software tester. Like what's to stop parts that separate from the ship from being left behind when they do a jump? And that's just one external test. Messing with all the computer interfaces, etc.
    Then the personal transporters. The one always teleporting to the wrong place. Is there some failsafe that stops him from teleporting into a wall, a person or even outside the ship?

So after being reprimanded and demoted, Burnham has the disrespect to call Saru by his name rather than title?

As for character development, Owo had one episode last season where she joined Michael and we learned a bit about her.

I'm sure Adira getting so much time has absolutely nothing to do with the publicity around her being Star Trek's first non-binary main actor.

I'm guessing the auntie will turn up at some point.

Laughed when Stamets said all Adira did is work. Sure that's all we see anyone doing, apart from the occasional break to eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I liked the first half of the episode, then it became "everyone loves talking in front of an Attack of the Clones" set again.

Tilly reminds me of Derry Girls, each one is fine in small, tiny doses, funny even, but don't ever give me a whole episode about one in particular.

Book is easily the best character other than Saru. Great acting or just they wrote someone well, but he comes across as authentic.

Stamets is a cynic, he's bitchy almost, don't tell me he suddenly understands make believe friends. Even his husband was like "really!?".

Admiral upped his game this ep. I also appreciate the fact that they didn't colour in the bits of the beard that are flaky. That's the modern day Picard as bald captain. I take solace.

I thought it was fine, didn't annoy me as much as parasitic ice which from now on is my default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Passage Of Time
    Burnham has a 7 year olds sense of time. Thinks a year is the longest time ever, and the Burn is a recent event despite being 120 years ago.

I just don't buy this thing of not being able to move on until they know the details. We already know that dilithium had been scarce for 100 years before The Burn happened, so there were problems anyway. Fear of the Burn happening again clearly isn't stopping the Federation from doing anything - the lack of dilithium is. And knowing the cause of the Burn doesn't really help you, since it was in short supply regardless.

It just feels like such a weird dissonance... for her it's a new thing that she's all fixated on, but for them it was lifetimes ago and is just a reality to be dealt with. It feels like if someone today was really obsessed with discovering the details around Franz Ferdinand's assassination to kick off WW1, when everyone today would be like "it happened, it led to ****, thats that". The universe has moved the fuck on.

The Burn
    Since the start of this season I've suspected the Burn/Burnham thing, with terrible dread. I'm still convinced she's connected to it - but I've pivoted to it being the Mirror Burnham. Ties in with Georgiou having these intense Mirror Burnham flashbacks, the mention of her deep connection to someone (which we know to be Burnham/Mirror Burnham) and with the S31 guy bringing back up the Terran storyline. Also, presumably Mirror Burnham's Mirror Mother could also have made a Mirror Red Angel suit for time travel... I hate all of this by the way...

Side thought - how about the Burnham we're with right now, is the Mirror Burnham, hence all the "I'm a different person" stuff. Ok, it doesn't really fit unless a bunch of other stuff happened in the year that will get shown in a flashback episode, but I wouldn't rule it out with these crazy mystery box writers! But one way or another, I'm convinced there's gonna be some Mirror Burnham'ing by seasons end!

The Episode
    It was fine... delighted Book is back. He just feels like an actual person. Some nice Stamets moments. Some good Admiral, Saru, and Tilly bits. Burnham finally demoted - though not entirely satisfyingly.

Some weird pacing choices though... the Admiral says "I'm glad you can work without your No. 1, cause things are heating up. Get ready to jump", and I was all set for them to go do some stuff... and then the next time we're back with Discovery, it's for a relaxed casual chat about boys. Just felt weird. Also, Gray feels just too young... like, 13.

As much as I like Book being back, I hope they quit this "Remember what we did on SpaceMcGuffin 5?" They've pulled that so many times already. Stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

100% agree on the burn, it's clearly a tool for the writers to allow her to "inadvertently" wink, wink search for her mother.

I also don't see how a demotion is going to make any difference to someone who does her own thing whenever she wants anyway.

Bar locking her up she will continue to do what she wants and even has her own ship to do it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

CramCycle wrote: »
    At the time all I could think of was that scene from the Princess bride, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

All she had to say was he wears the same.one and it can be used to track both ways.

The main reason things like this happen is bad screenwriting it happens a lot in this show. The stamets speech to Adira loses all cohesion after the phrase life was linear

corkie wrote: »
    Ryn ~ Noah Averbach-Katz details of marriage on IMDb.
    "He has been married to Mary Wiseman since February 16, 2019."

Lt. Gen Rhys
    "In personal life, Rhys showed romantic interest towards Sylvia Tilly during a party on Discovery, but his advances were quickly rebuked as Tilly was currently in a "musician phase" and wasn't interested in men who didn't fit that profile."
    rhys.jpg

Not much development with him, been in the show since 'Choose Your Pain (2017)' first season.

Downsize of having 13 hours season vs 25+ hours in TNG.

What we also don't see much of is 'relieve crew'/'night shift' for when the main characters or on away missions etc. But they came along for the timejump anyway

Our Asian correspondent Trisha Tackinowa

Spear wrote: »
    That just felt dull and by the numbers to me. I'm just short of dismissing it as entirely filler, if not for that blackbox, which I suspect will matter down the line.

Given the shake up in show runners and writing, I had higher hopes for this series, but it's just not delivering.

Some small good points: Admiral Vance seems more of a pragmatic individual, and less of cardboard cutout.

Burnham gets called out and punished for her crap, something that's happened a few times to a lesser degree. I doubt we'll see a Mariner style redemption at this point.

It’s still fronted by Klutzman so I wouldn’t be to sure.

Fair point, but a large part of Trek for me has always been the ships, and it was a bit of a tease to start the episode talking about all the fancy upgrades, hinting that the ship would be sent on a mission, and then seeing nothing of it for the rest of the episode. I can't help it if I want to see more of what 32nd century federation ship technology is!

With regards Adira I just find the whole 16 year old super genius thing ground that Trek always goes back to and it never works well. From this episode alone it appears that Adira is not only a skilled engineer, can rebuild the interface for an experimental and millenium old drive, and also seems to be able to undertake some form of surgery/medical treatment (Stamets arm interfaces). I know there's the whole symbiont and seven lifetimes thing, but it seems a bit much and is falling into the same territory where much of the criticism of Burnham comes from, namely this one character that can do absolutely everything. This is not the fault of the actor themselves, but I absolutely hate when shows have a teen ploymath genius.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this episode a lot, but would have liked more ship and less Burnham uneccesarily validating Sarus decisions! And I am interested in where they're going with Adira, but would have happily sacrificed most of that for lovely, lovely ship shots!

Edit 2: Also, on the topic of ships, was that a Miranda class in the junkyard!!!

But her boyfriend was butchered by a piece of plexiglass glass give her some slack.

It's the Burnham show again, the head clocked to one side and whispering is starting to grate, she gets away with murder and will continue to do so. Really turning me off this show

I recalled how the German solider in saving private Ryan whispered things to your man as he plunged a bayonet in his chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

corkie wrote: »
    Ryn ~ Noah Averbach-Katz details of marriage on IMDb.
    "He has been married to Mary Wiseman since February 16, 2019."

Lt. Gen Rhys
    "In personal life, Rhys showed romantic interest towards Sylvia Tilly during a party on Discovery, but his advances were quickly rebuked as Tilly was currently in a "musician phase" and wasn't interested in men who didn't fit that profile."
    rhys.jpg

Not much development with him, been in the show since 'Choose Your Pain (2017)' first season.

Downsize of having 13 hours season vs 25+ hours in TNG.

What we also don't see much of is 'relieve crew'/'night shift' for when the main characters or on away missions etc. But they came along for the timejump anyway

You keep saying not enough time, it's season 3 now and still know nothing about them and they have left it to late for me to start caring.

At least with TNG or any other of the shows by the end of season 1 you could name every character and be invested in thier development.

So, is there a continuity error with the 'A'

Some people have pointed out online that Calypso (the short Trek) where Discovery and the AI were waiting, did not have the ship upgrades or refit 'A'

All Eyes On Rafah

You keep saying not enough time, it's season 3 now and still know nothing about them and they have left it to late for me to start caring.

At least with TNG or any other of the shows by the end of season 1 you could name every character and be invested in thier development.

On every other show we would at least know the bridge crew and a couple of other major characters by this stage (or far earlier)
    I feel I know Book better than the two ladies who sit up front and the two blokes who hide down the back, that can't be a good way to build a world I care about.

When robot girl died I didn't even know her name, on the Orville we got multiple episodes around their Data equivalent, in fact a huge story arc.

• Advertisement

Some people have pointed out online that Calypso (the short Trek) where Discovery and the AI were waiting, did not have the ship upgrades or refit 'A'
    I watched that again last night and was trying to figure out how that fitted in with the current narrative at all and failed...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was thinking the same things as a software tester. Like what's to stop parts that separate from the ship from being left behind when they do a jump? And that's just one external test. Messing with all the computer interfaces, etc.
    Then the personal transporters. The one always teleporting to the wrong place. Is there some failsafe that stops him from teleporting into a wall, a person or even outside the ship?

So after being reprimanded and demoted, Burnham has the disrespect to call Saru by his name rather than title?

As for character development, Owo had one episode last season where she joined Michael and we learned a bit about her.

I'm sure Adira getting so much time has absolutely nothing to do with the publicity around her being Star Trek's first non-binary main actor.

I'm guessing the auntie will turn up at some point.

Laughed when Stamets said all Adira did is work. Sure that's all we see anyone doing, apart from the occasional break to eat

Turns out they have bocce. Who would have guessed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Would the first ship of the line be fitted with a "A"?

Would the first ship of the line be fitted with a "A"?

Usually a refit or first of line does not get an 'A'
    It's when a ship gets destroyed or decommissioned, it gets successor gets the A, B, C, D, etc

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Tristram wrote: »
    better than having no trek on TV.

I’m not sure at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

CramCycle wrote: »
    I thought it was first officer (hence no.1 as a nickname), which is the same as an executive officer in many militaries

It is the first officer. But the way they are saying it, it’s almost like JJ-Pike promoting cadet Kirk to XO in the movie.

You’re my number one..... Should be on a fecking Valentine’s card,

If Burnham was confined to the Brig for ever this series could indeed become good Star Trek. The idea, resurrecting the Federation in the future, is a good one for sure. Georgiou could also be enticed to maybe do a disappearing act. Im fine with the rest, even Tilly.

How could the Burn be named after Burnham unless they knew she caused it. As in

"Hi. Im Michael Burnham, space and time traveller"
    "Yes, we know all about you. Let me tell you what happened 120 years ago ( due to your time travelling) and is named after you..."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It is the first officer. But the way they are saying it, it’s almost like JJ-Pike promoting cadet Kirk to XO in the movie.

You’re my number one..... Should be on a fecking Valentine’s card,

Preview of season 4's theme.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmVNOiYdpSY

Maybe the Burn was caused by Michael's mother. Or there'll be some kind of timey wimey reason somehow.

Still don't understand why Michael is the one investigating. The first thing she should've done when joining up with Starfleet again was request their investigation reports.

How could the Burn be named after Burnham unless they knew she caused it. As in

We have two time travelling Burnham's about the place...

Called the Burn and have the music to lead Michael to her mother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Smacruairi wrote: »
    I liked the first half of the episode, then it became "everyone loves talking in front of an Attack of the Clones" set again.

I knew it reminder me of somewhere. Good job

Advertisement