Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x06 - 'Scavengers' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭corkie

So, is there a continuity error with the 'A'

Some people have pointed out online that Calypso (the short Trek) where Discovery and the AI were waiting, did not have the ship upgrades or refit 'A'
    GreeBo wrote: »
    I watched that again last night and was trying to figure out how that fitted in with the current narrative at all and failed...

"No Bloody A, ........."

'Calypso' aired 8 November 2018. So well before season 3 was green-lit.

So I see it as possible future (another timeline) where they didn't send the ship to the future, but abandoned it in the nebula. So I wonder if they will meet 'Craft' this season instead to save him.

The refit, debunks 'Ketwolski Theory' of having 'Georgiou' going back in time with the ship. I didn't buy it anyway.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Still don't understand why Michael is the one investigating. The first thing she should've done when joining up with Starfleet again was request their investigation reports.

Was wondering that as well, surely had deep investigations when it happened. And how are the 'BlackBoxes' (/usb drive or future equivalent) turning up 100+ years after the burn. Probably picked up by 'Gen Ships' passing in area's ships explode by the burn.

Detached nacelles?

Assuming they are still joined to the ship by some force-field/tractor beam. Also assuming the plasma is teleported to them from the warp core?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If Burnham was confined to the Brig for ever this series could indeed become good Star Trek. The idea, resurrecting the Federation in the future, is a good one for sure. Georgiou could also be enticed to maybe do a disappearing act. Im fine with the rest, even Tilly.

How could the Burn be named after Burnham unless they knew she caused it. As in

"Hi. Im Michael Burnham, space and time traveller"
    "Yes, we know all about you. Let me tell you what happened 120 years ago ( due to your time travelling) and is named after you..."

It could be that only the name "The Burn" is remembered after all this time, not the origin, which would fit with interstellar travel and communications being limited.

Although sometimes the way they speak, you'd think The Burn happened last week instead of over a century ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I wish she’d stop bloody crying in every single episode l! She’s doing my head in. Very interesting as to what is going on with Philipa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

CastorTroy wrote: »

I hate you.

Well played

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Very good episode, probably the best one to date in STD. Definitely feels like Trek (within constraints of STD).

Felt very cinematic, almost like a movie format. The pace was good, lot of happened in the episode, separate plots for planet party and base/ship, which is a typical TNG/STV format. The plot was OK. Detached nacelles are bollox. Bajoran's head exploding a bit gross for Trek. Georgiou has PTSD it seems :)

Think they are using the Federation HQ as a sort of copying the DS9 format, the HQ is a static base. Expecting they'll make excursions from there just like DS9.

Finally some character developments, ship upgrades, Burnham demoted, whatever people were asking. If that's not enough for some then I suggest they give up really.

Looking forward to seeing another episode directed Frakes once we get one (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I hate you.

Well played

Let's fire him out of a torpedo launcher.

Into the sun.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

McGiver wrote: »
    Very good episode, probably the best one to date in STD. Definitely feels like Trek (within constraints of STD).

Felt very cinematic, almost like a movie format. The pace was good, lot of happened in the episode, separate plots for planet party and base/ship, which is a typical TNG/STV format. The plot was OK. Detached nacelles are bollox. Bajoran's head exploding a bit gross for Trek. Georgiou has PTSD it seems :)

Think they are using the Federation HQ as a sort of copying the DS9 format, the HQ is a static base. Expecting they'll make excursions from there just like DS9.

Finally some character developments, ship upgrades, Burnham demoted, whatever people were asking. If that's not enough for some then I suggest they give up really.

Looking forward to seeing another episode directed Frakes once we get one (hopefully).

One of my favorites too. I was worried Burnham would just get off with it but Saru is no fool and the rest of the crew were good as usual.

I'm little worried that they are setting it up for us to feel sad for space Hitler though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

breezy1985 wrote:
    One of my favorites too. I was worried Burnham would just get off with it but Saru is no fool and the rest of the crew were good as usual.
    Burnham is an annoying maverick. If they can make reconnect with her Vulcan training then it would be somewhat better. The Burnham-went-hippie-maverick is much worse than the Burnham-restrained-vulcan-maverick (which was already bad enough).

Saru is a good captain but if they don't fix Burnham he'll never be an actual captain.

Overall it's improving though, I hope they don't ruin it. I don't mind Adira for example, just a different character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The Frakes episodes have been pants so far, he can't polish a turd, of a script.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

We have two time travelling Burnham's about the place...

Called the Burn and have the music to lead Michael to her mother

So Gabrielle (Michaels mother) is the cause? Nothing would surprise me. The idea of triangulation to a set point would indicate that is where they are going to go with it.

The idea of the music terrifies me, at best it is going to be like the TNG episode that they link all humanoid species or the one where the con artist mimics the devil, worse the writers unable to have an original thought, use the red angel trope again, its a sign and Michael herself plays the music to all of the prior trill hosts when she time travels. Cue a flashback where her mum plays the nursery rhyme to her as a child.

Their need to link everything will be their undoing. its like it was written by children. This said there were some good bits. The ideas of criminal syndicates being as big as the federation makes sense, very little said about the couriers since the first episode which is surprising.

This said, nice to see some development. Silly about the romance between Book and Michael, if that was there, why develop now, its a silly thing, it would have made sense if it was present prior to Discoverys arrival, but now it just seems forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

).

Who get developed?
    I missed that unless you are talking about stammers having tea with adira (and friend) which didn't do it for me, f should first focus on the bloody bridge crew anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,594 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I hope they just stop adding new big-picture puzzles/gimmicks now... they have way more than enough as it is. It can be interesting done well, but they spend so much time on them that it's just time taken away from the characters and whatever their immediate goal is.

So far this season after 6 episodes we have;
    Fish out of water a thousand years in the future.
    Starfleet's collapse and rebuild
    The Burn mystery
    The Music mystery
    Adira's imaginary boyfriend mystery
    Georgiou's Flashbacks mystery

Also, wonder who will be the new first officer. They haven't really established anyone enough to be a natural lift from the folks we usually spend time with - Tilly's had the most screentime, but as an ensign surely isn't an option. I'm guessing it'll be the blonde Airiam without robot-makeup lady. She seems to have been the one that's been given command whenever Saru walks off the bridge.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I hope they just stop adding new big-picture puzzles/gimmicks now... they have way more than enough as it is. It can be interesting done well, but they spend so much time on them that it's just time taken away from the characters and whatever their immediate goal is.

So far this season after 6 episodes we have;
    Fish out of water a thousand years in the future.
    Starfleet's collapse and rebuild
    The Burn mystery
    The Music mystery
    Adira's imaginary boyfriend mystery
    Georgiou's Flashbacks mystery

Her boyfriend isnt a mystery at all. He's a trill and she absorbed him as a symbiont but because she is human he is not part of her, but seems like a different soul. She literally said so much in the episode.

CramCycle wrote: »
    So Gabrielle (Michaels mother) is the cause? Nothing would surprise me. The idea of triangulation to a set point would indicate that is where they are going to go with it.

The idea of the music terrifies me, at best it is going to be like the TNG episode that they link all humanoid species or the one where the con artist mimics the devil, worse the writers unable to have an original thought, use the red angel trope again, its a sign and Michael herself plays the music to all of the prior trill hosts when she time travels. Cue a flashback where her mum plays the nursery rhyme to her as a child.

Their need to link everything will be their undoing. its like it was written by children. This said there were some good bits. The ideas of criminal syndicates being as big as the federation makes sense, very little said about the couriers since the first episode which is surprising.

This said, nice to see some development. Silly about the romance between Book and Michael, if that was there, why develop now, its a silly thing, it would have made sense if it was present prior to Discoverys arrival, but now it just seems forced.

The cat on the view screen scene sums up the entire thing. When YouTube clips are lifted then one can't expect a cohesive plot or script.
    Mikey Spock "I reversed engineered" the tracker yoke to find Book. Hello thats not what the term means. :rolleyes:

Her boyfriend isnt a mystery at all. He's a trill and she absorbed him as a symbiont but because she is human he is not part of her, but seems like a different soul. She literally said so much in the episode.

Yes, but in terms of writing, they did that for a reason. It's another running story element that they have put in place for a longer term reason. Most likely expository, as they can play out 'past information' about things like the Music in a way that's more visually interesting than her just 'remembering'. This way, they get to physically show the conversation with her Symbiot's past self.

Perhaps gimmick/plot device is a better word than mystery for that one.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Who get developed?
    I missed that unless you are talking about stammers having tea with adira (and friend) which didn't do it for me, f should first focus on the bloody bridge crew anyway.

Dont fully understand the obsession with this. Yes it would be good to get less Burnham, but the bridge crew in the TOS was barely known. Tell me about Checkov, his hopes and fears.

In fact we only know a fraction of all the crews because, in reality, they work in shifts.

TNg put most of its main characters on the bridge, but they had no reason to be there, most of them. The head of engineering should be in the Engineering department and the head of security in his own office or department watching the CC TV, and the Empath could have phoned it in from anywhere.

"Why is the Alien shouting?"
    "I sense anger captain"
    "Fair enough"

Also we have never seen a host who was so connected to the previous one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The cat on the view screen scene sums up the entire thing. When YouTube clips are lifted then one can't expect a cohesive plot or script.
    Mikey Spock "I reversed engineered" the tracker yoke to find Book. Hello thats not what the term means. :rolleyes:

Well the cat probably was not in cat form when it activated the viewscreen.

All Eyes On Rafah

The blonde woman who used play Ariam looks in line for no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭corkie

Thanks @~Rebel~ for recap of the season.
    Compare it to mine last week with edits.
    corkie wrote: »
    5 Episodes gone. 2 Season pilot episodes and 4 problems of the week (incl E02)
    ^^^ Now 6 with 1 filler episode 6

Mysteries of the season so far: -
    1. Burn ~~ What/Where/How ~~ Blackboxes hopefully lead somewhere
    2. Music/Ryhme/Melody ~~ Bad Wolf Meme
    3. Terralysium and Gabrielle Burnham ~~ Does anyone care what happened to her? Trapped in the other timeline?
    4. Georgiou & S31 ~~ What is happening to her at present? And how to get her there
      ~~ Anyone buy 'Ketwolski' theory & Short Trek 'Calypso'?
      ^^^ Debunked with refit.
    5. Adira ~~ What happened with her medical checkup/briefing? ~~ Overlooked for E06
    6. Detmer ~~ Health/PTSD ~~ Or other reason?

Hoping they don't over-complicate the season by adding more and try and resolve everything in the last 2/3 Hours of the season.

Adira&Gray is not mystery as other have said, whole episode dedicated to them and more to come.

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    Thanks @~Rebel~ for recap of the season.
    Compare it to mine last week with edits.

As you mention about them wrapping them all up in the last few hours - I think most of them will be connected - the Music, the Black Boxs, Georgiou's mirror flashbacks, and past info from Adira's symbiote plot-mechanic will all tie together to answer The Burn (and imo it'll relate to Mirror Burnham).

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Also we have never seen a host who was so connected to the previous one

Well the boyfriend was sliced up with a piece of plexiglass so they had no choice.

Can we have a moment here for Tilly saying "Yeah she's my friend but she's a sh1t officer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Heres my theory -

Triangulation of the signals brings them to the source of the Burn which was (or is) Michaels mother. She still has a red angel suit, which Georgieu steals and uses to travel back in time, maybe stealing some technology for Section 31 use. Launches the new series with Section 31 having all the good kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The blonde woman who used play Ariam looks in line for no.1
    Now that Nahn is gone, the only other person at Commander rank is Reno. I would say she isn't command division, but then again neither were Montgomery Scott or Beverly Crusher and they were given ship commands.

flazio wrote: »
    Now that Nahn is gone, the only other person at Commander rank is Reno. I would say she isn't command division, but then again neither were Montgomery Scott or Beverly Crusher and they were given ship commands.

When Saru leaves the bridge, Blonde Airiam lady is the one given command. She definitely looks the most likely alright I think.

The fact they gave her a new role, even after kiling off Airiam, speaks to them probably liking that actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Also, wonder who will be the new first officer. They haven't really established anyone enough to be a natural lift from the folks we usually spend time with - Tilly's had the most screentime, but as an ensign surely isn't an option. I'm guessing it'll be the blonde Airiam without robot-makeup lady. She seems to have been the one that's been given command whenever Saru walks off the bridge.

The admirals security chief maybe? A "suggested" posting from thr admiral.

Baggly wrote: »
    The admirals security chief maybe? A "suggested" posting from thr admiral.

Would be an interesting one!

Whoever it is, I hope it's someone who takes a harder line on Burnham as a contrast to the rest of the crew. She'd be a good choice in that regard - an outsider who doesn't have this connection they all have to Michael, and instead can just see the frequent insubordination. Bring a little ships-politics into things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Edit 2: Also, on the topic of ships, was that a Miranda class in the junkyard!!!

Certainly looks like one. Off to the right of the bigger ship that emperor flash back shot down. 33:10 in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭pah

How did Books cat know where to find federation hq?

It's a massive secret nobody knows and hidden behind some semi invisible forcefield. They had to hit the magic mushroom pool to dig the memory out if the trill so how would book or the cat know where to find them.

DONT KNOW

Advertisement