Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special drill bit for shelf pegs?

Options
  • 19-11-2020 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I want to hang some new shelves in my kitchen cupboards. I have these round metal pegs:
    aFKSTX.jpg

I believe there is a special drill bit I can buy that will drill a neat hole for them. What am I looking for?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Possibly you want a wood drill bit that has a central point and spurs on the edges like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-2607017034-X-Pro-Wood-Drill/dp/B003TWOSPO/

Looking at a jig for cutting peg holes that seems to be correct https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kreg-Tool-Company-KMA3220-Shelf/dp/B008D55P2W/

If you can tightly clamp another piece of wood where you are drilling the holes and drill down through it then you will also get a neater hole.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

boardtc wrote: »
    I want to hang some new shelves in my kitchen cupboards. I have these round metal pegs:
    aFKSTX.jpg

I believe there is a special drill bit I can buy that will drill a neat hole for them. What am I looking for?

Kreg sell a jig for this. I bought one from caul field online

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

2018na wrote: »
    Kreg sell a jig for this. I bought one from caul field online
    See link above :)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭boardtc

Looking at a jig for cutting peg holes that seems to be correct https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kreg-Tool-Company-KMA3220-Shelf/dp/B008D55P2W/

If you can tightly clamp another piece of wood where you are drilling the holes and drill down through it then you will also get a neater hole.

Great stuff, I reckoned there was something like this! I'm totally knew to this jig stuff. It's hardly worth the investment to fit 4 small shelves but I have a carpenter coming soon to fit a separate unit so I can see if he has kit I can borrow / he will do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/brad-drill-bit-5-x-86mm/9086v

Check the diameter of the shelf pin. The above is 5mm. Wrap some tape around drill bit to match the depth of the end of the pin that will go into sidewall of cupboard. A tape measure and torpedo level from screwfix might be helpful as well so the shelf sits level.

PS: This is "essential" so you can click and collect:).

• Advertisement

Great stuff, I reckoned there was something like this! I'm totally knew to this jig stuff. It's hardly worth the investment to fit 4 small shelves but I have a carpenter coming soon to fit a separate unit so I can see if he has kit I can borrow / he will do for me.

Carpenter did it. Some good tips, measure distance from shelf once and transfer 2 hole locations to a bit of plywood. Then drill hole though plywood with tape on drill bit for depth. You can move plywood around to cut the other holes quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

aFKSTX.jpg

No need to go buying jigs or getting professionals in for such a job. If the pin is 5mm dia, just drill in the marked locations to the correct dept (measure and tape the bit as above). Clinically 100% level not possible without a jig but not required in this case. Just keep the drill relatively centred and you’ll be fine. The depth is the important factor, particularly on an exposed end cabinet. Too deep, and you’ll punch through.

dodzy wrote: »
    No need to go buying jigs or getting professionals in for such a job. If the pin is 5mm dia, just drill in the marked locations to the correct dept (measure and tape the bit as above). Clinically 100% level not possible without a jig but not required in this case. Just keep the drill relatively centred and you’ll be fine. The depth is the important factor, particularly on an exposed end cabinet. Too deep, and you’ll punch through.

The tips I gave from the carpenter using a plywood piece to mark holds and cut through to make a neat hole I found excellent.

Advertisement