Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary teaching

Options
  • 19-11-2020 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I have just secured my bachelors degree in business studies and was looking to start my post primary matsers in april. Having obtained this degree I would only be eligible to teach business to a LC level. One subject. I had hoped to teach accounting too but I am not eligible. I am some, but not all the necessary credits. (About 15 short)Perhaps in the future I could make up the credits necessary and become eligible. Ironically i work in the accounting sector too.

With that being the case I was wondering is it worth my time becoming a business teacher. Only one subject. Although I have been checking education posts.ie frequently to check for jobs and work in the subject seems to there.

Would only being able to teach 1 subject( all be it to a LC level) hinder my chances of employment. Teaching is something I would love to do. But If the work isnt there theres no point.

And help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Your chances of getting a job might be limited, but once you get your foot in the door, so to speak, you’ll probably be given accountancy and/or maths, as and when they’re needed. You can’t be hired as anything other than a business teacher (other than maybe something like business and accountancy or business and maths, or the like), I think, but once you’re hired, it’s at the school’s discretion what you actually end up teaching.

Advertisement