Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Saw this was at 2,999 posts and it was annoying me so gets 3k.

On topic, anyone else instantly turn off haptics and trigger resistance before starting a new game? I try to save controller battery and don't want my triggers fighting me thank you very much.

Have it turned off all the time. It broke the r2 button after less then a month so since I got the replacement I always have the haptic and trigger resistance turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw this was at 2,999 posts and it was annoying me so gets 3k.

On topic, anyone else instantly turn off haptics and trigger resistance before starting a new game? I try to save controller battery and don't want my triggers fighting me thank you very much.

You're showing as post 3001 for me. Maybe you have someone on ignore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭jj880

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Have it turned off all the time. It broke the r2 button after less then a month so since I got the replacement I always have the haptic and trigger resistance turned off.

Never thought of doing this. I will now. It was a nice novelty at the start but now it distracts me as im always wary of pushing through the resistance too fast and breaking a trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You're showing as post 3001 for me. Maybe you have someone on ignore. :)

Nope, no one on my ignore list.... Now I'm gonna be up all night wondering who it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nope, no one on my ignore list.... Now I'm gonna be up all night wondering who it is :)

It was post #3001 and reply 3000

The opening post is a post but it's not a reply which is what the thread lists on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

jj880 wrote: »
    Never thought of doing this. I will now. It was a nice novelty at the start but now it distracts me as im always wary of pushing through the resistance too fast and breaking a trigger.

Exactly the same, I play shooters so different weapons need different pressure on trigger if haptic feedback etc on. So there turned off as I say I would be in the same boat with another r2 button broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Varik wrote: »
    It was post #3001 and reply 3000

The opening post is a post but it's not a reply which is what the thread lists on the forum.

Ah yeah that explains it. Zero, you can sleep tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't understand why people are shocked about Days Gone not getting a sequel. Yes, there are people out there who love it, and some who love it after it became free (so judgement skewed imo), but the overall reception was poor and even with the improvements, lots of people still didn't like it. Yes, there's scope for an excellent game series, and probably a good world, but zombies are on the way out, people don't want them, it's all about time loops now.

Anyway, not that I use it as a point of reference, but lots of people do, on Metacritic, Days Gone is rated 71 and is position 1098 on Metacritics best PS4 games.... Like, it wouldn't be that far down if it's as good as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I don't understand why people are shocked about Days Gone not getting a sequel. Yes, there are people out there who love it, and some who love it after it became free (so judgement skewed imo), but the overall reception was poor and even with the improvements, lots of people still didn't like it. Yes, there's scope for an excellent game series, and probably a good world, but zombies are on the way out, people don't want them, it's all about time loops now.

Anyway, not that I use it as a point of reference, but lots of people do, on Metacritic, Days Gone is rated 71 and is position 1098 on Metacritics best PS4 games.... Like, it wouldn't be that far down if it's as good as people make out.

Tbf, the user score is up higher at 8.3 so it looks like it hit better with the players than it did the critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You can never trust user scores as people review bomb without even playing games.

That's why I went with the critics one. Granted, they can also be biased, but they're less likely to review bomb either positively or negatively. It's all subjective of course, but it gives an overall idea I reckon, and better than me and all my mates who loved/hated it.

Maybe it wasn't marketed well, I just don't think it made the impact it was supposed to.

• Advertisement

Tbf, can't trust critics either. "Another gruff white male lead" & "all the zombies are white, not enough diversity". Even though they aren't white, they lost their pigment and the story explains it if they played it. Some critics had their mind made up before giving it a proper chance.

I feel bad for studios that have their bonus based on metacritic scores although i don't think that happens as much as it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You can never trust user scores as people review bomb without even playing games.

Yeah I know that happens but in this case, the score is a lot more positive than the critics. Review bombing usually aims to bring the score way, way down

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tbf, can't trust critics either. "Another gruff white male lead" & "all the zombies are white, not enough diversity". Even though they aren't white, they lost their pigment and the story explains it if they played it. Some critics had their mind made up before giving it a proper chance.

I feel bad for studios that have their bonus based on metacritic scores although i don't think that happens as much as it used to.

Sony probably realized that they have to many open world games and they are taking sales off each other and something had to give.

You have GOT, GOW, Days Gone, HZD and Spiderman (am I missing any?) and I'd guess Days Gone is the one who sold the poorest out of all those and that's another reason they've scrapped it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sony probably realized that they have to many open world games and they are taking sales off each other and something had to give.

You have GOT, GOW, Days Gone, HZD and Spiderman (am I missing any?) and I'd guess Days Gone is the one who sold the poorest out of all those and that's another reason they've scrapped it.

on the flip side of the coin though, using similar game mechanics in multiple games means you can churn them out much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I played this game last year and I thought it was painfully average. The hordes were interesting for a while, and I liked the motorbike element but I thought the characters were pretty bland and uninteresting and the gameplay loop was pretty stagnant throughout the entire game. I wouldn't say it's a bad game or anything as I did play all of it although I did find the last few hours a real slog.

I found the main character to be the most uninteresting protagonist in a game since yer man in the original Watch Dogs. It was like he was written and designed by an algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RedXIV wrote: »
    on the flip side of the coin though, using similar game mechanics in multiple games means you can churn them out much quicker.

That's not necessarily a good thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

RedXIV wrote: »

That's what I want from my games, for them to be churned out quickly.

In days gone itself they went mad over the biker wedding vows.

Only reason I knew what they were was I watched sons of anarchy.

Could see it being tied to streaming number in the future.

Twitch has resurrected a bunch of older games after some streamers restart playing it and then others follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

A PS5 Firmware update arrives tomorrow. It will give users storage options, at last and more.

Taken form the PS Blog.

Senior Vice President, Platform Planning & Management

The first major system software update for the PS5 console is rolling out globally tomorrow, and it’s packed with new features and improvements. Our team is passionate about enhancing your experience on PlayStation in every possible way, so here’s a glimpse at what’s coming for PS5, PS4, and PlayStation App:
    PS5 Storage Expansion and Management

Store PS5 Games on Compatible External USB Drives.* With this feature, you can now transfer your PS5 games to USB extended storage from your console’s internal storage. It’s a great way to extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console, and you can seamlessly copy your PS5 games back to the console’s internal storage when you’re ready to play. It is faster to reinstall PS5 games from USB extended storage than to re-download or copy them from a disc.

Because PS5 games are designed to take advantage of the console’s ultra high-speed SSD, PS5 titles can’t be played from USB extended storage. PS5 titles also cannot be directly downloaded to USB extended storage. However, games that you transfer or copy back to internal storage will automatically update when applicable. In addition, you can select which game modes you want to install (such as campaign or multiplayer) for select titles that support the option.

For tips on using USB extended storage on PS5, including storage device requirements, please visit: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-extended-storage/.

As previously announced, the PS5 console will support storage expansion via M.2 drives in the future. We’re currently working on this feature and will keep you posted with any updates on PlayStation Blog.
    New Social Features for PS4 and PS5 Consoles

Cross-generation Share Play. PS4 and PS5 players can now Share Play together while chatting in parties. This means PS5 console users can let their friends on PS4 consoles view their game screen, or even try out the PS5 games through Share Play, and vice versa. Options include the ability to share your screen with a friend, pass your controller virtually to a friend, or pass a second controller virtually to play co-op games together.

Request to Join Game Session. A selection of your friends’ joinable game sessions will now appear on both PS5 and PS4 consoles, allowing for more gameplay opportunities together. The “Request to Join” option also serves as a shortcut to sending a game invite, reducing the time it takes for you to get into games with friends. Through the Privacy Settings menu, you can modify who can interact with you through parties, games and messages.

Enhanced Control and Personalization Options for PS5 Consoles

Improved Game Base. The Game Base menu has been improved for quicker access to important content and features. You can now easily switch between Parties and Friends to start chatting with your existing parties or see what each of your online friends is up to. In addition, you can turn notifications on or off for each of the parties you’re in.

Disable Game Chat or Adjust Players’ Volume. You can now quickly disable in-game chat, which turns off your mic audio and the voice audio of other players. Additionally, you can easily adjust the individual voice chat volume of other players in the same chat so you don’t have to ask your friends to lower or increase their mic volume each time.
    Game Update Pre-download. Once it’s enabled by developers, title updates for games will pre-download to your console if the “automatic updates” setting is enabled and your console is on or in rest mode. This will let you start playing the latest version of a game immediately after the update’s release.
    Customize Game Library. With the ability to search your library or hide games from view, it’s now easier to find content and personalize your view of your game library.
    Screen Zoom. You can now adjust the magnification of the screen to suit your preference from the Settings menu.
    New Trophy Settings and Stats Screen. The level of trophies that results in automatic capture of a screenshot or video clip can now be customized — so you can now choose to only capture and save images/videos of moments when you earn higher-grade trophies, like Gold or Platinum. We’re also introducing a new player Trophy Stats screen, where you can check out the summary of your trophy level and status at a glance.

Image cropped to showcase new Trophy Stats screen
    New Features for PlayStation App

We’re also introducing a myriad of new features for PlayStation App to make it easier than ever to connect with your console experience remotely. Recently, we introduced the ability to save products in a wishlist, get notifications when your friends are online, and change your console online status. In the coming weeks, we’ll be rolling out even more, including the ability to join a multiplayer session on PS5 from the app, manage your PS5 console storage, compare trophy collections with friends, and sort and filter products shown in the PlayStation Store. You can download PlayStation App for free from Google Play and the App Store.

We’re only scratching the surface of the many updates and improvements we’ve made across PS5, PS4, and PS App, so check them out and let us know what you think!

*For external USB drive compatibility requirements, visit: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-extended-storage/.

Hopefully we can now see the full name of the trophy without having to click into it.

Also, the pre-download of updates sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

VRR please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Trophies are a dumpster fire at the moment glad they are sorting it.
    I thought they were patching in external SSD support but its still coming in the "future"

Second VRR support

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Varik wrote: »
    In days gone itself they went mad over the biker wedding vows.

I think it was more a case of laughing at how daft and unintentionally hilarious that scene was.

As a game though, Days Gone was just so achingly boring and generic. It did nothing that we hadn't seen done 100 times before and done better.

With every big Sony exclusive of the last few PS4 years an third-person open world game, it's not a surprise they're looking to offer people something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Still no ssd extended storage update:(

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

EoinHef wrote: »

They’re so expensive for the foreseeable it doesn’t really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

EoinHef wrote: »

It's bizarre. Really does seem like the rumours of over-heating concerns could have something to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It's bizarre. Really does seem like the rumours of over-heating concerns could have something to them.

This is what I'm worried about
    They’re so expensive for the foreseeable it doesn’t really matter

Throw a few bob into some crypto:P

They are going to be expensive but id rather have the option,it is 5 months after launch at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

No update on installing a bigger sized internal SSD yet?

NAND memory in a M2 NVMe likes it hot, if the temperature is low it can degrade. JEDEC who are the big SSD lobby/trade group say that at around 25 degrees you'd half it's life.

The controller won't overheat either the absolute worst that can happen is it throttles and runs slower while the temps fall, these controllers are very low power and usually that heat is spread to the NAND to raise their idle temp between writes.

It's funny as there's a bunch of third party heatsinks for NVMe drives out there, just Chinese made hunks of copper or aluminium with some RGB.

At a high ambient you could stick a little copper heatsink that cost next to nothing on just the controller but you'd need to be in a very hot room temp for that to be required.

EDIT; Googled the temp that the controller starts to throttle for the ones Samsung uses, it's 75C we're never getting to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement