Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nice one, thanks Sarn.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks like it's getting reviews, but listening to the latest Beyond, Returnal doesn't sound like it would appeal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

What are peoples thoughts on the PS5 game pricing. Returnal is the next title that is €80.

Reviews are great, my own thoughts are to wait for it to drop in price. Nowadays it doesn't take long for these games to drop in price.

Even though reviews are very positive I think it will sell slowly prompting a drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

What are peoples thoughts on the PS5 game pricing. Returnal is the next title that is €80.

Reviews are great, my own thoughts are to wait for it to drop in price. Nowadays it doesn't take long for these games to drop in price.

Even though reviews are very positive I think it will sell slowly prompting a drop in price.

I would 100% be getting Returnal tomorrow but €80 is just an obscene amount for a game, I'm gonna wait until it is €60 or below. Same with R&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

80 euro for a game is an absolute joke. 69.99 Dollars on the US store which is 58 euro. Get the games on there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭McFly85

It sounds great, but €80 is far too hefty for me. I have a backlog that I’ll use until I can get it below €60 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

80 euro for a game is an absolute joke. 69.99 Dollars on the US store which is 58 euro. Get the games on there!

Yep, much cheaper to get games on the US store, especially for PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

€80 for a game is madness. I paid it for Demon Souls as I wanted a shiny new title for my PS5 and figured I'd get a bit of mileage out of that one. When you look at games like Ratchet and Clank for 80 I just couldn't justify that for a game I'm gonna guess would be wrapped up in 10-15hrs play. Far too many games in the backlog and Game Pass so don't think I'll be paying 80 for a new title anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Think I might get it, will have a look at some reviews later, long weekend coming up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Returnal wasn't something that really caught my eye when it was announced, and I haven't played many of those kind of games, but I must admit the good reviews does pique my interest a bit - but as others are saying, I can't justify the pricetag for that. I may give it a look when it drops in price a bit and I hear what more people have to say about it.

It does sound like an interesting game that shows more of what the PS5 can do, and something I'd like to try at some point, but not one that I have to play right now.

• Advertisement

I can see the €80 price tag for PS5 games putting a lot of people off buying on day 1, especially for people with the Digital console. For me, I will just use the US store instead

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The one thing that worries me about buying from the US store on PS5 is the DLC. There were no problems playing additional content on an Irish account if you bought it from the US Store, for example, on PS4. However, I bought AC Valhalla on the US store on PS5 and got the extra mission as part of the season pass, but there was no sign of it anywhere when playing on my Irish account.

Eventually I found a workaround by disconnecting my PS5 from the internet and was able to play through it then, but for bigger expansions that’d be a real pain in the arse.

I’m not sure if it’s a Ubisoft thing or a PS5 thing, but that would definitely make me think twice about buying games from the US store if I ever intend to play the DLC as well.

Anyone else noticed something like this happening with other games?

martyos121 wrote: »
    The one thing that worries me about buying from the US store on PS5 is the DLC. There were no problems playing additional content on an Irish account if you bought it from the US Store, for example, on PS4. However, I bought AC Valhalla on the US store on PS5 and got the extra mission as part of the season pass, but there was no sign of it anywhere when playing on my Irish account.

Eventually I found a workaround by disconnecting my PS5 from the internet and was able to play through it then, but for bigger expansions that’d be a real pain in the arse.

I’m not sure if it’s a Ubisoft thing or a PS5 thing, but that would definitely make me think twice about buying games from the US store if I ever intend to play the DLC as well.

Anyone else noticed something like this happening with other games?

yeah I noticed the same with Valhalla and Fenyx Rising , which I both bought from the US store. There were quests I purchased via Ubi Connect and they have never showed up, the same with the extra content from the Fenyx Season Pass.

It's definitely an Ubisoft thing as since they introduced Ubisoft Connect, there have been alot of issues with redeeming digital content. I was able to download the dlc content for Fenyx but I think the other season pass content was not working due to not playing on the purchasing account.

I probably will not buy any future Ubisoft content on US store until I know the issue was resolved but it's looking like dlc content will be locked to purchasing accounts apart from dlc that can actually be downloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I like the look of Returnal in terms of the atmosphere and exploration, but the combat and the enemies are not appealing. Looks like a 3D Space Invaders or Asteroid in parts.

The €80 price tag is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I thought 70 would be the push. I can't justify 80.

The game is very good and very interesting but the bones of a day's wages is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, 80 is too steep for me. I'll only spend that on a game if it's one I know I'll sell when finishing it and make most of the money back seeking to CEX. Haven't had to spring 80 yet though and absolutely won't be doing it for Returnal or ratchet and clank.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Returned my second Dual Sense since launch to Harvey Norman today for another broken R2 trigger and o button. Was bought a month ago and swapped no questions asked or fob offs to Sony attempted.
    Top class customer service.
    They said they've only had 4 returned so far since launch which is surprising.

Surely the majority of those interested in buying Rift in Time wouldn't want to see so much of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

My interest is peaked with Housemarque.
    And loving all of their games but almost €80 has stopped me.

• Advertisement

I have no interest in ratchet and clank but that is a pretty game.

Terms I heard with regard Returnal included "Gameplay loop"
    As someone who doesn't play roguelikes/lites what does that mean?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have no interest in ratchet and clank but that is a pretty game.

I think I have the trilogies for Ratchet, Jak and Sly and haven't played any of them for some reason.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Dying and starting from the beginning after each death but potentially facing slightly different paths or enemies. Returnal relies on a time loop so not really a hundred percent how it operates.

4K version of the gameplay, looks unreal on Oled TV

I know, i know, IGN review but they say the loop in Returnal can run for 2 hours and you can't save mid loop. Him and colleagues both lost progress due to game crashes. If i knew i had to dedicate a solid 2 hours to a game, it would annoy me or just put me off playing.

Yeah heard them say it as well. Just the more I heard, it put me off. And they said 2 hours if you know what you're doing.
    They did say they would put it in rest mode, though lost progress to a system upgrade then.
    Of course when younger we had to complete games like Mario in one sitting as couldn't save it. :)
    Dying and starting from the beginning after each death but potentially facing slightly different paths or enemies. Returnal relies on a time loop so not really a hundred percent how it operates.

The way they were saying is you complete the game multiple times and as zero said, each loop takes 2 hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Returnal is literally a time loop game, but ‘gameplay loop’ is a more widely used term than just roguelikes/lites. It refers to the fundamental flow of the game - the core tasks you repeat in different variations. In Monster Hunter for example it would be ‘pick a hunt, hunt the monster, use the monster parts to make new weapons, repeat’.

But yeah rogue like games are typically based on an even more literal loop - you spawn, you fight as far as you can, you die, you go back to the start, repeat. In the roguelite variant you usually have some permanent upgrades that carry over from run to run - so you’re in a better position to get further every time,

Yeah heard them say it as well. Just the more I heard, it put me off.
    Of course when younger we had to complete games like Mario in one sitting as couldn't save it. :)

As an old man, i need an auto save at least every 5 minutes :)

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As an old man, i need an auto save at least every 5 minutes :)

Don't worry, it'll be more straight forward on your next rerun of life. :D

Advertisement