Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Jaysus that's what happens when people post at 3.30 in the morning.

The Web browser was cat. Any time I tried using it I'd just end up giving up and using my phone. Maybe you could argue that they should have improved it but it's so much quicker and easier to just look up something on your phone. Controllers just aren't designed for Web browsing.

Some valid points on backwards compatibility, but in fairness they've allowed PS4 - PS5 when they didn't allow PS3 - PS4. I mean apart from a bit of nostalgia every now and then, who's really wanting to go back regularly and play PS1, PS2 games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Back in the PS3 days - pre Chromecast and Smart TVs - I occasionally used the web browser as there used to be some video sites (RTÉ player I think) where there was no dedicated app. Basically it was the “easiest” way to watch on a TV. You’d get to the page and it’d be half broken. Navigation was painful with a controller. If you successfully played the content it’d work, but with a 50% chance it’d completely crash or freak out randomly. God help you if the video site had an ad break.

Good ****ing riddance.

Why would anyone want to use a Web browser on a console? Genuine question.

I think I may have used it once or twice on the PS3 but that was before we all had smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think I may have used it once or twice on the PS3 but that was before we all had smart phones.

Yeah I used the PS3 one a little at the start until I got a laptop. Think I only ever really tried using the PS4 browser when I got the PSVR and was trying to watch VR videos on Youtube. Think I had to install and use the Youtube app though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The only reason I ever used the browser was to see if I could...and that was it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can play Stadia on your Xbox Series X using the Edge browser. That is kinda cool.

But for looking up stuff, I can't think of a worse platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Exactly that is why it is nice to have a browser.
    It gives you extra options like that.
    When a browser is done properly you can
    pop in a keyboard if you want and it's a decent
    experience.
    Dropping it completely was the lazy way out.
    The games are obviously the most important thing but
    I just think Sony could have done better.
    PS4 browser was and is unstable and not up to scratch.
    You guys are right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Browser was never an interest to me, as the laptop, phone or even smart tv had one, I simply don't need another.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You can play Stadia on your Xbox Series X using the Edge browser. That is kinda cool.

But for looking up stuff, I can't think of a worse platform.

Yo dawg, we heard you like to play games while you game so we put games in your games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Used my PS4 browser to watch soccer streams, also for trophy guides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We all know the reason for a browser being wanted on the PS5. Haven't seen the 2020 stats but 2019 stats from p0rnhub showed PS4 owners had a 51.5% traffic to the site compared to the other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

CastorTroy wrote: »
    We all know the reason for a browser being wanted on the PS5. Haven't seen the 2020 stats but 2019 stats from p0rnhub showed PS4 owners had a 51.5% traffic to the site compared to the other consoles.

That just means that 48.5% came from xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Used my PS4 browser to watch soccer streams, also for trophy guides.

But you surely have a phone or tablet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

But you surely have a phone or tablet?

Not everyone can connect their phone or tablet to their tv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Markitron wrote: »
    Not everyone can connect their phone or tablet to their tv

I get that but I meant for trophy guides. Why would anyone want to use a console browser for that rather than a phone or tablet?

Im not having a dig at anyone, I'm genuinely curious. I've owned all ps consoles and a few xbox too and never once used or even thought of using the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Maybe they should have stuck wheels and a motor on it aswell and it could Hoover the house.

Come on lads we have tons of devices for web browsing! This is a games console and for €399 it is insane value for what is included.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness I buy my games console to play games, not browse the internet. The price is well worth it for the upgrades the console brings over the PS4 and to me thats all that matters. If I want to browse the internet then I use my PC/Phone/Laptop/Tablet/Smart TV/ Firestick etc before I would think about going onto my console looking for a browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

OhHiMark wrote: »
    That just means that 48.5% came from xbox.

Was gonna make a comment about your choice of words, whether they were intentional or not. :)

34.7% XBox, 4.3% Wii U, 0.4% 3ds, 9.1% Vita

CastorTroy wrote: »
    0.4% 3ds

Those poor bastards....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Free Last of us 2 patch for PS5, 60 FPS

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/19/the-last-of-us-part-ii-performance-patch-for-ps5/

Once patch 1.08 for The Last of Us Part II is installed on your PS5, you will find a toggle in the Display options that allows you to choose between a Framerate Target of 30 FPS or 60 FPS. This allows you to choose your preferred framerate to complement the rest of the enhancements that are part of the PS5 backward compatibility with PS4 games, such as an enhanced resolution, faster load times, and more.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Free Last of us 2 patch for PS5, 60 FPS

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/19/the-last-of-us-part-ii-performance-patch-for-ps5/

Once patch 1.08 for The Last of Us Part II is installed on your PS5, you will find a toggle in the Display options that allows you to choose between a Framerate Target of 30 FPS or 60 FPS. This allows you to choose your preferred framerate to complement the rest of the enhancements that are part of the PS5 backward compatibility with PS4 games, such as an enhanced resolution, faster load times, and more.

The idea of faster load times is interesting, considering how amazingly quick they were on PS4 compared to other PS4 games and without the aid of an SSD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'The Last of Us Part II 60 FPS patch' is a weird typo of 'Bloodborne 60 FPS patch', but I assume it's just human error on Sony's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

'The Last of Us Part II 60 FPS patch' is a weird typo of 'Bloodborne 60 FPS patch', but I assume it's just human error on Sony's behalf.

They hate us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I get that but I meant for trophy guides. Why would anyone want to use a console browser for that rather than a phone or tablet?

Im not having a dig at anyone, I'm genuinely curious. I've owned all ps consoles and a few xbox too and never once used or even thought of using the browser.

There was an option in the PS4 Trophies menu and searched up guides for a certain trophy with the click of a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

At this point I honestly thought they were doing a full on PS5 version, I wonder why it took 7 months for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

To play devil's advocate...
    It isn't a good look when you're just removing features.
    If the feature sucked improve it. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Sony's customer service is ****e and they are anti consumer.
    They've made some steps forward with the PS5 but a lot of steps back.

They also removed UPNP support from the media player which allows my phone to play any video over the network. No big deal as my TV supports it. Same with the web browser.

Anyone who can afford a PS5 likely has a decent/modern enough TV to support these features.

My previous TV was an early 4K LG, I believe from 2015/16, that had a web browser that was decent enough for watching streaming/on demand stuff.

I understand not everyone can hook up a PC/laptop, myself included, but these days you don't even need a Chromecast to get stuff onto a TV as there's so many options. Most TVs should also supports screen mirroring so you can use that on the TV if you want. Some phones even have a full desktop mode so it's native output to the TV rather than just 'playing' the image back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think ye just need to get over the fact that not enough people enjoyed Bloodborne to make it financially viable for a next gen upgrade.

I consider a 60 FPS version of Bloodborne more of a moral and artistic obligation, superseding any potential financial concerns :cool:

Seriously though, I wholly welcome all 60 FPS patches - a major improvement from the 'remaster' tendency of the last-gen. Bloodborne's technical issues and its exacting combat IMO make it top of the last in games that really need it though (ditto The Last Guardian, but the pre-patch uncapped frame rate workaround means that's far less pressing). It's amazing to see a game as technically stunning as TLOU2 running at 60 FPS, mind you.

Advertisement