Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been trophy hunting in several games the last few days and my biggest peeve about the old layout is just how giant the icons were, it looked like a mobile interface on a big screen, massive UI on a 4K display is a waste of space. Glad to see it's better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Forgive the ignorance lads, I'm usually quite well up on these things but I don't understand the whole SSD + heatsink thing.

So for PS4 it was just a case of buying a compatible hard drive, swap them out, and install.

For PS5 you need an SSD, and a heat sink? Are they both located in the same spot? I don't really understand this SSD with heatsink vs SSD without heatsink thing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A heatsink is just a small block of metal that absorbs and disapates heat from the SSD. It's screwed on top of the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Apparently you do need to have the heat sink to keep the SSD cool or they won't work as well without the heat sink, you can get them from 4 quid to about 20 depending on which one you use, the Eurogamer article above and Sony site has a good explanation of it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to reiterate as well: if you really just want more storage space, you can buy a normal USB hard-drive (USB 3.0 recommended) and store games on that when you're not using them. You can move them back and forth from the internal SSD as required.

The internal SSDs are impressive tech and will be handy in the long-term, but they are very expensive for now and slightly less user friendly to install than most console add-ons (although a good gateway to tinkering around with a PC :)). A standard USB hard-drive is a more affordable compromise that'll certainly do the job if you don't plan on having a dozen games on your main hard-drive at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The system the have is obviously a bit cumbersome but it will certainly come in handy if/when there are price drops on these SSDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MikeRyan87

Got an LGCX 65 inch this week as an upgrade to my 1080p 40inch. Some difference!

Not gonna bother with the heatsink.

So overpriced and can manage fine moving stuff to and from my 2TBHDD.

Never playing more than 1-3 games at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Bought Deathloop so will give it a go, got a prepaid voucher for 60 quid after buying a Galaxy Watch so cost a tenner 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Since the latest ps5 update, the games I've been playing, Life is Strange and NBA 2K have had sound problems. Music, sfx, background noises all fine but voices sound like the people are underwater. Messing with my tv sound settings did nothing. Then i found in the ps5 sound settings that there's an option enabled to convert your tv audio to 3D. I disabled it and my sound went back to normal.

Might be work checking if anyone else notices it. Seems to work fine through headphones.

I think you need to update the controller as it uses the mic to calibrate the audio?

Updated my controller the other but i always keep it on mute. Idon't trust my controller listening to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It is possible to just mute the mic and not the speaker on your controller

I know, i usually turn off controller speaker in games. Anyway, the issue was the ps5 enabling 3d audio through my tv speakers and turning it off fixed it so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

For Anyone wanting to pull the trigger on an internal SSD, the Samsung 980 PRO 1TB is £138 from Amazon right now. Lowest I’ve seen it, it was £160 this time yesterday.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GS7748F?psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Are there ever any deals for 500 GB drives? The default storage hasn't really been a problem for me so the 1TB drives is probably a bit excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

My PS5 was delivered to repair centre yesterday morning by DPD. Still waiting on Sony to acknowledge that they've received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

My controller knows to keep its mouth shut.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Anyone care to recommend a heat sink for the uninitiated?

EDIT:

So, had a little search and found these 2 recommended.

Or

1st is expected in stock 23/9 and 2nd is out of stock with no update on when they will have any.

Post edited by F1ngers on

• Advertisement

No experience with heatsinks but for what it’s worth I ordered the first one you have linked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People should be carful buying any old heatsink. All it is is a milled bit of aluminium, so any random company could make and sell them.

The controller is what wants to be cooled to prevent throttling but the actual NAND memory likes it hot, if that's cooled too far from the 35-45 degrees it likes then it's going to degrade substantially quicker from writes. But if your cooling just the controller which being the main heat sensitive part it's also what the system monitors, so you could cool the controller down to a safe temperature but then the NAND could then heat up far beyond what would be normal as it doesn't know to throttle.

If you've already got a drive then do some research for that drive but everyone is much better off buying a drive that already has a heatsink from a big name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It will also depend on airflow over the heatsink,ideally you would have a bit of airflow over it.

Heatsinks are not suppose to work in isolation,airflow to help dissapte the heat is important. Personally im gonna wait and see how different ssd's perform

Seems like I might have been a bit quick off the mark buying this, it’s already been despatched too so can’t cancel.

But for anyone else, it sounds like there’s a bug in this drive currently which limits the read speed to 5500 MB/s instead of the advertised 7000 MB/s. If you can plug it into a PC first you’ll get a firmware update and all will be well again but obviously no such option on the PS5.

That speed would still be sufficient so I haven’t decided if I’ll return it or not yet, but does anyone know if in the future I wanted to update the drive would I be able to just buy a USB enclosure and I’d still get the firmware update or would the drive need to be plugged directly into a computer to update?

If the enclosure and the PC use thunderbolt then probably, for any other enclosure type it's a no.

Sony call for the cover to be put back on and even if they didn't short of having the case off and a fan directed at it there's not going to be much external airflow over it, and whatever airflow you'll get is going to be consistent regardless of what heatsink is used and not driven by the M2 drive temps but the main SOC temps.

All people can choose is the heatsink, and there's going to be a lot of people using random AliExpress heatsinks that'll have their drive dead in a year especially if they're moving game on an off frequently.

Advertisement