Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thanks. It's funny that they mention access to GoW as one of the perks of going for Extra or Premium when you already have it as part of Essential. Just a tiny oversight.

A friend uses Now on and off on her PC and isn't delighted with a 70% increase in price. Maybe Sony figure the number of people in this niche (which were probably small enough already) will fall further with every big PS game ported to PC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and I'm pretty sure Now members are being moved to the top tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The GoW inclusion might be for those with a PS4 only.

• Administrators Posts: 53,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The time limited game trials being in the premium tier is mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, since they can't offer day one games like Gamepass, they surely should have considered the time limited game trials for the middle tier, and a 10% discount on Sony exclusives for the top tier as further incentives.

• Advertisement

I am a bit confused by it. From what I can see, premium gets you access to stream ps3 games and the demos. This seems like a really weak offering to me? Unless there is a particular ps3 game you really, really want to play, why on earth would you pay the extra for this?

I don't see why they needed to move to a 3 tier model. IMO, a basic tier giving you online access, free monthly games and some discounts, followed by a premium tier giving you all of that plus the entire back catalogue, the demo access and a 10% discount on exclusives would have made more sense.

What they are basically doing is charging people extra due to a limitation on their own system (ps3 games being hard to emulate), rather than having a compelling offering at the top price.

They can't compete with Gamepass on content, so need to compete on price. I am not sure this does that. Even EA offer the game demos in their basic subscription package.

It's pretty much

Bottom Tier: PS+

Middle Tier: PS+ and PS Now (PS4-PS5 games)

Top Tier: PS+ and PS Now (PS1-PS5 games), and time-limted game trials

So if you only want PS4 and PS5 games from PS Now, you can save a bit of money (€20 on a yearly sub). If you want games PS3 or earlier, you need the top tier. It's not really down to the limitations on emulating PS3 games or anything, they'll just be streaming rather than downloadable regardless, like they currently are on PS Now.

Yea but the reason the ps3 games are streaming only is they can't easily make them downloadable. Maybe it's just me, but that top tier looks like a weak offering.

The value of the middle tier for me personally will come down to how quickly new games get added.

Yes, but I just mean there's no change to the way PS3 games currently work from PS Now. The top tier benefits aren't just PS3 games, but PS1 & PS2 games, as well as time limited game trials. So at the very least if you're only interested in PS4 and PS5 games, there is now a cheaper sub option compared to how it currently is with having both PS+ and PS Now.

How good the top tier is will depend on how many and what older games they can provide on it. Given how huge the PS1-PS3 library is, there are definitely a lot of classics people would love to play again, if for nothing more than nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The top tier is there to sell the middle layer. Having something a little bit more expensive makes the middle look like better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This. It’s always been the way with not just subscription services, but plenty of tech like new phones, tablets and the likes. To use Samsung Galaxy phones as an example:

There’s a “budget” offering which offers pretty much everything a customer needs and it’s actually the one companies expect you to buy.

The middle option is there as the premium version with a few extra bells and whistles and it’s the one they hope you buy. The “flagship” offering.

The top tier model, as you said yourself, is nearly always there to serve the purpose of selling the middle option, as it appears to give it better value compared to the often prohibitively expensive top tier model. It’s the one they don’t expect you to buy.

Sony have got the Samsung Galaxy marketing strategy down to a tee on this, but also want to upgrade what most people are already subscribed to. They’re trying to market the Essential service as the new standard and squeeze an extra €20 a year out of customers. It’s probably going to work on me, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, I'll probably go for the mid level option if the games offered are good. I've played several PS1 games on the Vita and they were terrible to look at and play 10 years ago when the Vita came out and they are going to be even worse now. The PS2 and PS3 games... I'd rather recall them nostalgically in my head rather than ruining them on myself by trying to replay them now and seeing how poorly they look and how awkwardly they play.

A PS3 games I was interested in hasn't had a digital release so unlikely to see it on this. 3D Dot Game Heroes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot (not quite all) of PS3 games have aged horribly, with horrendous performance issues often par for the course back then in a way that would not be acceptable now. Unless there's some sort of backwards compatibility boost, many will not play well in 2022 - and the issues will only be more pronounced if streaming is the only option to play them, as that'll compress the already limited native resolution (plus any latency / connection stability woes).

The good thing about the PS1 is there's a huge amount of interesting 2D platformers, shmups etc that have aged more elegantly than their 3D console-mates. PS2 not quite so much on the 2D front, but some of the 3D games from that era there have aged better. And there's a metric tonne of cool oddities and obscurities from both consoles that are still fun to dive into. But I'm not confident Sony will put the effort into diving deep into the archives - feels inevitable they'll focus on better-known games, at least at first.

Speaking of the PS+ Collection, for some reason Persona 5 is leaving it in May. You need to have added it to your library before that so you can retain access to it.

Not sure why, and no mention of the same happening with any other games. I imagine it's a decision by the devs rather than Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is there a more simple way to get capture files from the PS5 than using a USB key or directly uploading to Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Download the ps app. New update last week where any captures you take on the console will be uploaded to your app for 14 days. Just save them onto your phone or share directly from the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the app auto uploads are only for the manual captures, the auto trophy ones don't auto upload so as it says it's only the ones you capture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Cant see the option for captures on iOS for some reason even though the website says it should be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Should be under library which is the 6 squares with the controller at the bottom bar, and then there's an option at the top that says captures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It is Friday now, did I miss what the other announcements were? If all this turns out to have been was the spartacus announcement (which we all knew about already) than I may have to downgrade him from 'vacuous YT gasbag full of hype and ignorance' to 'lying vacuous YT gasbag full of hype and ignorance'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Himself and Jeff Grubb gave an update on the rumors yesterday more details here

The 3 rumors were Spartacus reveal, PSVR2 news which ended up being smoke and mirrors and another acquisition by Sony

Here's a breakdown of what happened though earlier this week for those that can't get to the VOD (plus here's Twitch clips from today's stream for those who want to see specific moments from this KFGD)

1. Greg gives up an update on the three rumors he's heard (2/3 are spoken about here, both being Spartacus reveal and PSVR2 Showcase, which turned out to be smoke and mirrors)

2. Greg's third rumor that he heard was an acquisition from Sony being in the works (this makes it 3/3 rumors)

Jeff Grubb then comes onto Kinda Funny Games Daily after being invited by Greg and Tim live:

3. Jeff ended up doing research this morning about the PSVR Showcase rumor that Greg also heard about and it was explained to him how that happened.

4. Jeff goes into detail about the third rumor mostly. He notably mentions that he himself heard that a big acquisition may be announced soon. Greg then jumps in and mentions he heard this as well from a pool of people.(Note: In the beginning of Kinda Games Daily, Tim did ask Greg if it was a big or small acquisition after Greg mentioned he heard about an acquisition but Greg chose to not answer this question because he didn't want to potentially leak anything.)

5. Jeff then goes into detail as to why it's so hard for insiders/reporters to get details on Sony rumors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 'vagueposting' is very annoying TBH. Either report what you know - as a couple of prominent gaming journalists do - or else you're kinda just acting as a hype-man for a corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

That is exactly what these people do. They tease rumours for clicks and views then change the goal posts, I'm shocked people still fall for it. They have been dining out on Silent Hill for 2 years now.

Well they sent out a mail about PSVR2.

In fairness, he did say that the reason he said anything at all was because he needed to announce they were delaying the (usually live) recording of the PS I Love You podcast because of the possibility of the breaking news. Given that being able to watch the recording live as a Patreon supporter, if he's delaying something people have paid for, it's only fair to give a truthful reason.

Both Miller and Jeff Grubb also said on KFGD that they can't announce what they've heard regarding the decision because generally that news can cause issues/risks with insider trading rules if it's announced early, and due to the scale of announcements like that you're generally blacklisted if you reveal it early.

Oh I've no doubt some things can't be reported early, and I know I've heard some reporters say before they sometimes don't report things like in-development game projects they know about in advance because they don't think it's a particularly newsworthy or worthwhile thing to do.

There have been some examples though of people vague-tweeting about some big, game-changing announcement and I don't think it achieves anything other than make people hyped out of all proportion. A lot of the time these stories either go nowhere or turn out to be pretty anti-climactic.

Unless something big happens in the next few hours (it could!), all that happened this week was a modest, straightforward refresh of PS+ (all the details of which had been accurately leaked by Bloomberg months ago). Miller isn't alone on the hype front - Mike Bithell (not a journalist but a pretty high-profile figure these days thanks to PWL) was also vague-tweeting and setting expectations sky-high.

I read Bithell's tweet as him having heard the same story and was genuinely giving a heads up to fellow indies. What does he gain otherwise?

• Advertisement

I like Mike, he seems like a solid, decent sort - I just use it as an example of how all this hype was being built up around this week's supposed major news :) Maybe something major was indeed planned to be announced this week and plans changed! But as we head into the weekend it all seems to have been quite a bit of ado over nothing.

IMO gaming is already wrapped up in endless hype cycles (look at how popular glorified marketing events are) and there's no need for prominent people to further stoke the flames with vague teases.

Advertisement