Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh I meet the min spec as recommended by them. Just about in the gpu department. I'll probably end up getting this just so I can try Alyx. Is it unusual that HDR isn't supported? I know nothing of VR tech, and I expected the haptics and triggers would be PS exclusives, but also surprised to see the eye tracking isn't included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

Anyone who hasnt played HL Alyx is in for a treat. Valve created such a masterpiece its still on top 4 years later. Hopefully some day they'll produce another.

60 euro for the adapter. Christ almighty Sony never miss an opportunity to bog the arm in these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I would typically balk at such a price for any adaptor, having listened to a few podcasts recently where people were discussing potential pricing of this thing it actually seems quite low relative to expectations. I believe the tech needed for those who’ve been trying to home brew a solution is around the 200 quid mark, so 60 seems not too high presuming it’s doing a fair bit of processing relative to your standard DisplayPort adapter.

That said, have to laugh at them putting Half Life Alyx so prominently in the promo materials here rather than doing everything they possibly can to get a native PSVR2 version out.

I believe you. My gripe is that Sony haven't done anywhere near enough to support PSVR2 so far and considering the hefty price of the headset they should be doing everything in their power to reward those who have invested in it. Perhaps 60 euro including a HL Alyx Steam key as a sweetener. Now you're talking. HL Alyx is regularly discounted to 20 euro on Steam these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think people should be happy they're making this product at all. This isn't a run of the mill USB adaptor and the customer base for this is going to be tiny. I doubt they're making any money off this, manufacturing is expensive when it's small scale.

Dell or Microsoft charge €40-50 for a basic USB C to DisplayPort adaptor, whatever this is has more going on so it's not exactly an outlandish price. I paid €15 just to have PSVR1 Steam drivers. Welcome to the world of niche comparability.

Oh I'm fairly happy that for €60 + a displayport cable I get access to the pc vr market. Or the Steam one at least, which includes Alyx and is already wishlisted, along with Boneworks which my mate gushes about. Would love to give Subnautica a go in VR and I believe the Submersed mod makes that possible. Exciting times ahead. My UE learning only pc is soon to become a VR pc me thinks...

Boneworks is excellent. I really like the feel of the physics and the soundtrack is awesome. I did get it at a bit of a discount I think. Around the 20 euro mark also. Steam usually have a summer sale around end of June. Boneworks and HL Alyx should be discounted.

Noice. Have that and Alyx added, along with Black Mesa as I think I'll give the main series a spin through again before I get to Alyx. I think all main games are playable in VR now…

Not sure on a Black Mesa official VR mod. There are definitely some great free VR mods on the Steam store for Half-life 2. Think it drops to nearly free at sale time as I have those mods on my to play list also. Should look great on PSVR2 oled lenses even without HDR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Does it really open up PSVR2 to PC players though? It's probably too early to confirm it just works, but spec wise it's superior to most other similarly priced headsets, with the caveat of a single wire? I presume its competing against the Quest 3 mainly, same price, and a Quest 3 connected to a pc is allegedly a lot better.

I have Quest 2 + PC cabled to Fritz!Box AX router. Plays HL Alyx, Boneworks etc. wirelessly smooth no bother.

From the spec of what will be available through the PC adapter it looks like the OLED lenses are the main attraction. Some of the other great PSVR2 features wont be available. So to be honest it's not even an attraction to me (at the moment) nevermind Quest 3 PCVR players with those pancake lenses and high res wireless streams.

Lets say I (a big PS fan in general) had my PS5 + my gaming PC but no VR headset yet and was on the fence about what headset to get. This adapter could definitely tip the scales towards PSVR2.

There's only 1 thing that will tip me towards PSVR2 now though. Some fine day it will happen. I have faith in Sony. They wont let us down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I ordered this:

Liking that colour. You must have some collection now. I remember (i think) you having at least 5 different dualsense recently.

I sold the purple controller so it could make way for the silver controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jordan happily playing with all his controllers 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I picked up the Starlight Blue controller in the end and love it's vibrancy. I hadn't realised that there was a third generation of the Dualsense so was pleasantly surprised I got a newer model (if your FCC ID on the back of the Dualsense ends with an A it's a second generation, if it ends with B it's third gen).

Picked up the camo one yesterday for eventual pc use. Picked that one due to trade in, as per Zero's theory. Also wish I picked up the special edition Hogwarts Legacy one. They going for €500 on fleabay! €140 used in CEX.

Digital pre-order for new Astro Bot are open.

Physical open also:

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/gaming-and-tech/playstation-gaming/playstation-games/playstation-5-pre-order-games/astro-bot-ps5/p/240866

I always say never pre-order a game before player reviews. I'll be pre-ordering this though. S...S...D!!!

• Advertisement

Physical version has a very cool double sided poster so for me it's a no-brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

70 euro or 60 dollars which is 55 euro, fair difference. Devs deserve every penny either way.

My new controller:

All my controllers:

Plush looks great. Would point out though that you'd get hit with customs so worth factoring that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Indeed. Should be about €12/13 plus the admin fee. Still a decent price considering the plush. The plush is available separately if you want to grab other games, VGP often do reprints of expensive games themselves even older PS2 games like Persona 3 FES.

Apparently there's an update for Astro's Playroom for free dlc, new trophies and a mysterious portal.

I wonder if we're getting an Astro Dualsense... If you look at the poster, there's a very cool looking version.

Mmmm....I suppose I could use another controller 😉😅

• Advertisement

Threw on Astro and I had forgotten how absolutely brilliant it is. Message said there is a robot hidden in GPU Jungle and I will need to solve a riddle to save it. Off to the jungle and met with the glorious G P UUUUUUUUUU song and now it will be in my head for the night. Only played a few minutes but will get back to it later.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Advertisement