Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mack2.0

Havnt been home the last 2 days due to work, and Ps5 supposidly had an firmware update yesterday or Saturday. When I turn it on next, and connect it to WiFi, can I still update that firmware that came out a few days ago??

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Exactly.

Wonder how many people will start saying that about framerates being 60 instead of 120, like they do about being 30 instead of 60.
    I used to not care about framerates (provided it was a stable 30 at least) although I must admit I found it incredibly jarring going from Demons Souls 60 fps to Spider Man: Miles Morales 30fps (fidelity mode). :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mack2.0

Havnt been home the last 2 days due to work, and Ps5 supposidly had an firmware update yesterday or Saturday. When I turn it on next, and connect it to WiFi, can I still update that firmware that came out a few days ago??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mack2.0 wrote: »

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Mack2.0 wrote: »
    Yup, if it was in rest mode it's probably already downloaded the update. Either way you'll get a prompt when you turn it on next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭jj880

yes

I live in the back of beyond. Broadband is not fibre by any means. Do you per chance know how large the most recent update was?

Would need to know if I can get it updated while junior is at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

jj880 wrote: »
    I live in the back of beyond. Broadband is not fibre by any means. Do you per chance know how large the most recent update was?

Would need to know if I can get it updated while junior is at school.

Today’s 868MB update brings the system software to version 20.02-02.25.00. Unfortunately, Sony looks to be continuing its habit of vague, non-descript patch notes from the PS4 days. The only available “patch note” here is that the new update “improves system performance.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

lertsnim wrote: »
    It's absolutely ridiculous that the Ubisoft free upgrade problem hasn't been sorted out yet. I created a Turkish account to get around it.

Yep agreed. And that method will throw up issues as regards DLC and needing to retain the Turkish account.

It's utterly shambolic. At least it's being reported on now and being somewhat acknowledged whereas they were dismissing it entirely until yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Finally got motivated enough to set up the PS5 today. The DualSense is great; a real evolutionary step forward for controllers. Let's hope the developers continue to utilise it. I'm about halfway through Astro, and it's lovely. All the praise it's getting is completely justified.

The console itself isn't as quiet as I was hoping - there's a definite drone noise coming from mine. It doesn't sound like coil whine to me though (not high pitched enough), but I'll investigate further later on, when my downloads have finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PS5 finally arrived from Game. Played the GPU Jungle area of Astro while all else is downloading. A lot of fun. Have decided to leave Demons Souls for a while as I don't think I'd be able to properly get stuck into it for a few weeks, whereas most other games are a lot easier to dip in and out of. Going to dip into SM:MM and DMC5SE for the rest of the week.

Controller feels fantastic. Astro is a great showcase for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So something to note, while people may know about how to get their PS5 version of the PS4 game they may not know that the PS4 version is still on the system.

clicking the PS5 option on the game under the . . . beside the play button will get you the PS5 game but you can also switch back to the PS4 version which will still be installed on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

The disk drive noise is insane when starting up the console. Like, way louder than the ps4 pro ever was. Occasionally happens while playing too.
    Id have some chance in hell of getting gamestop to fix this id say

https://youtu.be/WtQaxXoKknU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The disc drive is very close to the surface on the PS5.

Same as with the slim version of the past consoles and especially the top loading ps3. Yours might not be faulty and it could be the same noise the rest of us get.

When it makes noise again lift it up (don't rotate or twist it around) if it get's quite then it's not machine in itself but the vibrations travelling into what it's on, you can try putting it on a place mat or an old mouse mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My disk noise and coil whine (if it is the coil) both got worse last night. Really noticeable when playing demon's souls (digital) as that game is mostly quiet except for sound effects and me cursing in rage. I set it up in my office today in a desk connected to 1080p monitor and sat 1 ft away from it as opposed to 8 ft in the sitting room and it's the quietest it's been, both noises from digital and disk, very odd.

I read about fw update today but i didn't see any update come through, must check what version I'm on tonight but will set it up again in my sitting room to see if it's back to being a bit noisy. Saying that, it's nowhere near some of the videos I've heard.

The strangest thing about the disk noise is how they said they had a special encasement around the Bluray drive to keep it quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Disc noise was crazy in mine as well as the loud "coil" noise. Especially when turning on the console with a disc in the drive it would almost be screeching. Calms after about 30 seconds. Other times then there is disc noise but not as bad you can tell its just spinning very quickly but not screeching. Disappointing but hopefully something they can fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Spooch wrote: »
    The disk drive noise is insane when starting up the console. Like, way louder than the ps4 pro ever was. Occasionally happens while playing too.

For the brief period of time I had my ps5 before it died and went back it sounded like that
    In my case the ps5 was not perfectly level once I moved it a bit and it was level it was silent

I started a thread specifically for noise discussion to maybe compare with each other and keep an eye on fixes in case they get lost on here with Astro appreciation posts :)

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058134824/1/#post115395687

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Same. With a disc in, the noise is mad. I found every now and then it would make a really loud noise for about 20 seconds (sadcase timed it), I thought it was the fan cooling it down but turns out it must be the disc drive.

I’ve been playing digital stuff with nothing in the drive and it’s almost as whisper quiet as the Series X. Way less worried about it now.

What a clever way for Sony to drive digital sales, audio torture, hah! :)

What a clever way for Sony to drive digital sales, audio torture, hah! :)

Ha the clever bastards! I decided yesterday to cancel my preorder of cyberpunk from smyths and bit digital instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Been following this thread and the xbox one. Ive always been an xbox person but was going to switch this gen...but tbh having read this thread im tempted not to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭quokula

madalig12 wrote: »
    Been following this thread and the xbox one. Ive always been an xbox person but was going to switch this gen...but tbh having read this thread im tempted not to now.

I suspect there’s a silent majority of people like me who have had no problems whatsoever and are simply enjoying the console rather than posting about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

quokula wrote: »
    I suspect there’s a silent majority of people like me who have had no problems whatsoever and are simply enjoying the console rather than posting about it.

No problems here either.

madalig12 wrote: »

Worth the switch for Astro alone but demons souls is bloody brilliant as well. The ui is quick and slick, the load times are blistering fast, the download speeds are 3 times quicker than ps4. Then you have the dualsense which is incredible to use. Absolutely epic piece of kit and I'm breaking with it. Humming and disk noise (which isn't even in the same universe as the ps4 pro noises) gets outweighed by all the good stuff. I haven't had any other issues bar a database rebuild on day one. Smooth sailing since then (touches wood).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Arkane talking a bit about how they'll utilise the DualSense's features in Deathloop (PS Blog).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Hi guys, picking up my PS5 tomorrow, need a game for it, settled on going for NBA2k21, is it worth the extra €20 to get the mamba edition does anyone know, or should I just stick to the original. Thanks

Johnrazz wrote: »
    Hi guys, picking up my PS5 tomorrow, need a game for it, settled on going for NBA2k21, is it worth the extra €20 to get the mamba edition does anyone know, or should I just stick to the original. Thanks

Mamba edition has a few extra dlc items but the main reason is the 100k vc which would cost about 20 quid anyway. I got the regular edition for 70 in smyths and starting as a 60 rated player is tough when I'd say 80% of players online use VC to get to 80+ straight away. 100k vc will get you to around 72 rated player.

So all depends, you happy with starting at 60 and grinding vc from games or want a boost to compete online.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Mamba edition has a few extra dlc items but the main reason is the 100k vc which would cost about 20 quid anyway. I got the regular edition for 70 in smyths and starting as a 60 rated player is tough when I'd say 80% of players online use VC to get to 80+ straight away. 100k vc will get you to around 72 rated player.

So all depends, you happy with starting at 60 and grinding vc from games or want a boost to compete online.

Haven’t really played it before to be honest but just fancy it this year so I’d say getting the boost straight away wouldn’t bother me much as I’d be doing a lot of career mode etc to get the feel of it. Thanks for the feedback, I might just stick with the original and like you said it costs the same for the VC anyways so if I want it in tile I’ll just purchase it that way.

Was hoping a big difference in it was a lot of Kobe challenges or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

I set mine up the weekend.
    LOVE IT.
    Astro boy is a hoot. Apex looks very nice on PS5 also.
    these and Bugsnax ( not loaded yet) will have to do me until Cyberpunk in 2 weeks time.
    As I said previously. I have to hide my PS5 as my Daughter is waiting for hers off Santa. PAIN IN THE ASS.

Apex DL'd really fast but I was surprised when I went to start it up that I had to wait for absolute ages for the HD overlay ( i think thats the name) to download too.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Mine is the exact same , wonder if it's faulty , let's rip when booting demon souls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Mine is the exact same , wonder if it's faulty , let's rip when booting demon souls

Mine noting like that. Not sure if there are stocks for faulty items but that sounds pretty sub par to me. I'd be looking for a replacement

Advertisement