Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I pretty much forgot about the feature but seeing reports about Sony's reason for including cards, has anyone here used them?

I was trying to teach the kids about them when using game help while looking for trophies for astro's playground but I couldn't find the right ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eugene Victor Tooms

Hey folks,

Just got the digital version of the PS5 through Harvey Norman about 10 mins ago.

If anyone wants to swap my digital version for a disc (I'll obviously pay the price difference), please drop me a dm.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I pretty much forgot about the feature but seeing reports about Sony's reason for including cards, has anyone here used them?

Yea I have used them in Demon's Souls, works great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

forgive me for being thick but what cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

Activity cards. A way to jump straight into a particular activity (like a race, for example) in a game straight from the main PS home screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Fifa and madden pS5 versions are available now

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

They are the little squares that appear when you press the PS button during a game. For example, when you press them in demons souls, you will see a list of all the levels you have been playing recently and you can go straight back to them instantly. Kinda like an in-game chapter select.

You can have cards that show you gameplay hints for the section of the game you are at. Its a really really good feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Markitron wrote: »
    They are the little squares that appear when you press the PS button during a game. For example, when you press them in demons souls, you will see a list of all the levels you have been playing recently and you can go straight back to them instantly. Kinda like an in-game chapter select.

You can have cards that show you gameplay hints for the section of the game you are at. Its a really really good feature.
    Activity cards. A way to jump straight into a particular activity (like a race, for example) in a game straight from the main PS home screen.

Thanks fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Fifa and madden pS5 versions are available now

Anyone not seeing this yet?

I'm going over to the Game Library where it should pop up........ but I don't see it. Not in the store either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Lads, how does physical-PS4-game installation work on PS5? Is it a similar ordeal to the Xbox One, where if you insert a compatible Xbox 360 disc into the system, it'll just read the disc briefly, then download the game from the store?

In other words, does the PS5 install physical PS4 games from the discs, or does it download the data once it reads said disc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anyone not seeing this yet?

I'm going over to the Game Library where it should pop up........ but I don't see it. Not in the store either

It's not due out until tomorrow, unless EA Play has it out early

Wife has turned around and told me she's giving me the money to get a PS5 for Christmas. Is there any hope of getting one between now and then?
    There will be more re-stocks before xmas. However there's also high demand, they get snapped up very quickly. Whether you manage to get one depends how keen you are, how much hunting you are doing, and also an element of luck.

I know a few people who got frustrated trying to buy one, staying up late etc. I told them to hold off a few months. It's only a console and not worth losing sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's not due out until tomorrow, unless EA Play has it out early

Put in my Fifa disk and in game versions it gave me the option to download Ps5

Ea tweeted it’s launched early also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Lads, how does physical-PS4-game installation work on PS5? Is it a similar ordeal to the Xbox One, where if you insert a compatible Xbox 360 disc into the system, it'll just read the disc briefly, then download the game from the store?

In other words, does the PS5 install physical PS4 games from the discs, or does it download the data once it reads said disc?

You need to insert the disc and choose to download the PS5 version yourself. For example, Assassin's Creed will load and install the PS4 version on your system but you'll see a store link in the home screen to the free PS5 version which is free to download (with a warning that you need to use the PS4 disc).

It'll download. And you can then delete the PS4 version (or cancel installation before it completes).

When you're opening the game, there is a button for Game Version and you just ensure you select PS5 before you select it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yea I had to put in the disc and it popped up straight away on the right hand side

You need to insert the disc and choose to download the PS5 version yourself. For example, Assassin's Creed will load and install the PS4 version on your system but you'll see a store link in the home screen to the free PS5 version which is free to download (with a warning that you need to use the PS4 disc).

It'll download. And you can then delete the PS4 version (or cancel installation before it completes).

When you're opening the game, there is a button for Game Version and you just ensure you select PS5 before you select it.

Do all games carry a "PS5 version"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Do all games carry a "PS5 version"?

No. Also, PS4 discs install from the disc as normal.

petes wrote: »
    No. Also, PS4 discs install from the disc as normal.

Okay, so if I were to put in a copy of, say, The Surge - a regular PS4 disc with no "PS5 version" upgrade, it'll install the disc using the disc drive? It won't "check the license" and download it like what Xbox does?

Okay, so if I were to put in a copy of, say, The Surge - a regular PS4 disc with no "PS5 version" upgrade, it'll install the disc using the disc drive? It won't "check the license" and download it like what Xbox does?

No, it installs and updates just like it would on PS4. What is nice is that the PS5 integrates PS4 games into its OS as if it was a PS5 game, so you get a proper splash screen with music and all the same options etc. I didn't expect this to be the case.

No, it installs and updates just like it would on PS4. What is nice is that the PS5 integrates PS4 games into its OS as if it was a PS5 game, so you get a proper splash screen with music and all the same options etc. I didn't expect this to be the case.

The only reason I'm wondering is because my PS4 isn't reading discs anymore. This is the 3rd PS4 system I've owned that's ended up doing it. Even games fresh out the plastic won't install. I'm worried that the PS5 has the same disc drive and that it'll just wear out and stop working again. I have way too many physical games to justify going digital only. I would otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Random question, anyone here win anything on that Doritos competition? Won destruction all-stars but isn't that free when it releases anyway?

The only reason I'm wondering is because my PS4 isn't reading discs anymore. This is the 3rd PS4 system I've owned that's ended up doing it. Even games fresh out the plastic won't install. I'm worried that the PS5 has the same disc drive and that it'll just wear out and stop working again. I have way too many physical games to justify going digital only. I would otherwise

I definitely doesn't have the same drive, one is a BD Drive and the other is a UHD drive for a start. Some people have complained about the drive being loud, but it has been 3 weeks now, if there was a widespread issue with the PS5's drive we would know about it by now.
    Kremin wrote: »
    Random question, anyone here win anything on that Doritos competition? Won destruction all-stars but isn't that free when it releases anyway?

It's a PS Plus game, so not technically free. Although I am fairly certain you need PS Plus to actually play it anyway so yea, its a pretty ****ty prize all things considered.

I definitely doesn't have the same drive, one is a BD Drive and the other is a UHD drive for a start. Some people have complained about the drive being loud, but it has been 3 weeks now, if there was a widespread issue with the PS5's drive we would know about it by now.

I hope you're right. It took about a year for my PS4s to start being awkward with installing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yea I had to put in the disc and it popped up straight away on the right hand side

Figured it out. I'd bought the game in Ireland but was on my UK account.

All sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Just got a digital ps5 but now need to see where the best place is to get cheap digital games, looking for ufc 4, any suggestions?

I hope you're right. It took about a year for my PS4s to start being awkward with installing games.

Same thing happened to me, thankfully Sony replaced it and it was fine from then on. My Xbox One X had a dodgy drive from the start, then the bastards wanted to charge me 80 quid to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Just got a digital ps5 but now need to see where the best place is to get cheap digital games, looking for ufc 4, any suggestions?

Setup a 2nd account for the US PSN and use an address in Oregon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hi All - The PS5 official charging dock seems to be sold out everywhere.

Can any of ye please advise if any of the third party ones are any better/worse?

Looking for decent build quality (stable not crappy quality etc) and for the overall power output to be decent so it doesn't take 63 hours to charge two controllers.

I notice the PS5 one is mains powered not USB so taking this as a good sign that it has reasonable amps on offer.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hi All - The PS5 official charging dock seems to be sold out everywhere.

Can any of ye please advise if any of the third party ones are any better/worse?

Looking for decent build quality (stable not crappy quality etc) and for the overall power output to be decent so it doesn't take 63 hours to charge two controllers.

I notice the PS5 one is mains powered not USB so taking this as a good sign that it has reasonable amps on offer.

You shouldn't be waiting long for that to come back in stock, I would just hold out for the official one.

• Advertisement

It's brand new, nobody knows the failure rate of the optical drive.

But the PS4 optical drive was not known to be unreliable (beyond the norm) so if you've experienced 3 failures then it's quite possible you're contributing to it somehow.

Advertisement