Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Usually I wouldn't have the patience to wait*, but I have so many great games I bought, lined up but have yet to play or complete:

Valhalla
    God of War
    Death Stranding
    Miles Morales

So I'm hoping by the time I get through those there'll be a PS5 version.

*I'll probably cave by Thursday and go against everything I said here

In the same boat here mate -

Have Ghost of Tsushima, Spidey PS5, Control and COD Cold War - to name but a few! - I've plenty to keep me occupied!

But as said above, DF will probably have a breakdown or somthing that may help make the decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Markitron wrote: »
    Start playing God of War.

I guarantee that after 10 minutes in that game, it won't even occur to you that other games even exist.

This literally happened to me last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Game is special

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Game is special

By far best game I have ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I've started GOW twice, played it for about an hour each time and found myself not going back to it. I'm going to give it another go over Xmas but it certainly didn't pull me in like all the previous God of War games

• Advertisement

I suppose you can just decide when we find out exactly what enhancements it is running with on the PS5. It could be that the full PS5 version is running at the same framerate and resolution as the enhanced PS4 version, just at higher settings etc.

I'm sure Digital Foundry are on this as we speak. I'm sure all hell will break loose if the PS5 once again outperforms the Series X.

I would hope with the backwards compatability, and probably no framelock as its fresh-ish code, at launch PS5 version running performace mode at fixed 60fps...?

One can only hope! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I've started GOW twice, played it for about an hour each time and found myself not going back to it. I'm going to give it another go over Xmas but it certainly didn't pull me in like all the previous God of War games

Same here, but didn't play previous titles, and in no rush to play it again. Sometime in the future, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Wait, isn't that a movie plot from Fast and the Furious? Except they were stealing VCRs of all things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Start playing God of War.

I guarantee that after 10 minutes in that game, it won't even occur to you that other games even exist.
    Game is special
    Rx713B wrote: »
    By far best game I have ever played
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Same here, but didn't play previous titles, and in no rush to play it again. Sometime in the future, maybe.

I actually have 2 or 3 hours of it under my belt from months back, and like others have said, it just didn't grab me. But it has so many people saying how incredible it is, I know I must be missing something, so I will give it another go in 4k 60fps glory and see if I can finally get it.

• Advertisement

I actually have 2 or 3 hours of it under my belt from months back, and like others have said, it just didn't grab me. But it has so many people saying how incredible it is, I know I must be missing something, so I will give it another go in 4k 60fps glory and see if I can finally get it.

I'm fairly certain the 60 FPS mode is locked to 1080p (unless there has been a new patch?)

Berty wrote: »
    Wait, isn't that a movie plot from Fast and the Furious? Except they were stealing VCRs of all things :D

Serves them right, that movie stole the entire plot of Point Break to the point that it was pretty much an unofficial remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm fairly certain the 60 FPS mode is locked to 1080p (unless there has been a new patch?)

Yep, it's either 60fps or 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Deffo, you'd think they'd target the slow-moving trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

When trophies came out first I'd no interest in them but since the middle of the PS4 era I started enjoying looking for them in games i loved. I've platinumed 14 games since so I don't do it with them all but if I have enjoyed a game I usually try get them. Although I hate the complete game+ types it's very rare I'll play through any game twice

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yes! I had the exact same issue. Froze at that sign up page. I got around it by signing up for the account on the laptop. Then I was able to get past that screen by just logging in

Thanks for your tip to sign up on laptop. Did it today and no problems when playing online now. Me and my oh have been playing it this morning. So far so good. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

jones wrote: »
    Although I hate the complete game+ types it's very rare I'll play through any game twice

Miles Morales has that requirement which is weird since the original Spider-Man doesn’t require it

Miles Morales has that requirement which is weird since the original Spider-Man doesn’t require it

NG+ mode was patched into the original a couple of months after launch, it almost certainly would have been a requirement for the platinum had it been there day 1

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Finally got to play my PS5 last night after it sitting in the box for a few days and it's pretty good. Nice to be able to play PS4 games with online multiplayer support and I do love the new PS5 store. It's not a massive leap over the PS4 like the PS3 was over the PS2 and that's despite me owning the rated best TV for PS5, the LG CX OLED. So anyone who doesn't have one yet, you're really not missing a whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Berty wrote: »

Actually it was dvd players. :P

Just wait until these same gangs that are stealing PS5s become international spies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

loughrey wrote: »
    Finally got to play my PS5 last night after it sitting in the box for a few days and it's pretty good. Nice to be able to play PS4 games with online multiplayer support and I do love the new PS5 store. It's not a massive leap over the PS4 like the PS3 was over the PS2 and that's despite me owning the rated best TV for PS5, the LG CX OLED. So anyone who doesn't have one yet, you're really not missing a whole lot.

To be fair there's a decent improvement over the PS4, between faster loading, full speed downloads for games and updates along with the very quiet fan, it's a pretty good improvement overall. I'm saying this as someone who has no PS5 games and had to purchase a PS5 sooner rather than later due to a faulty disc drive.

In saying that, a lot of the games are PS4 generation so won't have the full potential of better graphics. It will probably be another year or two before the games look truly next gen, but the console itself has some immediate improvements in day to day use. Although I can't get 4K HDR, I believe there's a bug and the suggested work arounds don't help me with my Samsung Q70/Pioneer AVR. PS4 Pro worked fine.

Nothing worth buying a console over, but there's certainly a lot less waiting around which was always a pain with big day one patches. I'd say wait for Q1/Q2 2021 for the rest of the launch window games to come out for a better selection of games though.

loughrey wrote: »
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    To be fair there's a decent improvement over the PS4, between faster loading, full speed downloads for games and updates along with the very quiet fan, it's a pretty good improvement overall. I'm saying this as someone who has no PS5 games and had to purchase a PS5 sooner rather than later due to a faulty disc drive.

In saying that, a lot of the games are PS4 generation so won't have the full potential of better graphics. It will probably be another year or two before the games look truly next gen, but the console itself has some immediate improvements in day to day use. Although I can't get 4K HDR, I believe there's a bug and the suggested work arounds don't help me with my Samsung Q70/Pioneer AVR. PS4 Pro worked fine.

Nothing worth buying a console over, but there's certainly a lot less waiting around which was always a pain with big day one patches. I'd say wait for Q1/Q2 2021 for the rest of the launch window games to come out for a better selection of games though.

I may be alone in this but I honestly think its the biggest leap forward since the PS2 era. The new UI features are fantastic, its essentially silent, the loading times are pure sorcery, the controller is revolutionary and there has been a nice graphical/performance boost too.

It doesn't hurt that, with Demon's Souls, it has the best launch game since Mario 64. Also it is not getting enough credit for having a pack-in game that is actually brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I find it a good leap from the launch day PS4. I never did get a PS4 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

lertsnim wrote: »

Same here. I'm really happy with it. To be honest, the near imminent death of my launch PS4 made me get a PS5 at launch but I'm so happy I did. It's great playing games without your console trying to do an impression of a hairdryer. And that controller <3<3<3<3

PC Only review - But hey...

and

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

There's a glitch at least every hour......but it isn't game breaking :pac:

Looks like it is worth waiting for this to be patched up down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I may be alone in this but I honestly think its the biggest leap forward since the PS2 era. The new UI features are fantastic, its essentially silent, the loading times are pure sorcery, the controller is revolutionary and there has been a nice graphical/performance boost too.

It doesn't hurt that, with Demon's Souls, it has the best launch game since Mario 64. Also it is not getting enough credit for having a pack-in game that is actually brilliant.

The quality of life improvements are very next-gen, it’s great.

PS4 was a good console, but it never felt truly next-gen due to it being so underpowered. PS5 takes absolutely everything to the next level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 KevC20

Hi has anyone ever bought games off CD Keys ? I'm looking at fifa 21 and its 45 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

lertsnim wrote: »

Same as this, I never got a Pro and I just upgraded from a 1080p TV to 4k, so the difference feels pretty big to me. And that's before you even get to the quality of life improvements like the extreme fast loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

KevC20 wrote: »
    Hi has anyone ever bought games off CD Keys ? I'm looking at fifa 21 and its 45 euro

I've bought games off them for PC with no issues

Advertisement