Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 SymbolicActs

For anyone that purchased their PS5 from Smyth's (especially in-store) - were ye told that you have a month's warranty with them? And did they also give you a sheet 'detailing' their return policy? (that basically fobs you off to Sony in the event of a fault).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

For anyone that purchased their PS5 from Smyth's (especially in-store) - were ye told that you have a month's warranty with them? And did they also give you a sheet 'detailing' their return policy? (that basically fobs you off to Sony in the event of a fault).

Don't worry about that. Wouldn't stand up in any court.

Oh I'm fully aware of my consumer rights. I had a lengthy back and forth with their customer service where I backed them into a corner and they had to concede that yes, you have a two year warranty under EU and Irish law.

To be frank, I'm reporting them to the CCPC for anti-competitive behaviour, just curious to hear other people's experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nope, they didn't say anything of the sort to me, nor give me any paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Oh I'm fully aware of my consumer rights. I had a lengthy back and forth with their customer service where I backed them into a corner and they had to concede that yes, you have a two year warranty under EU and Irish law.

To be frank, I'm reporting them to the CCPC for anti-competitive behaviour, just curious to hear other people's experiences.

Yeah I got the sheet and the staff told me Sony encourages you to go direct to them instead of Smyth's with issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Did not get it with the PS5 but they did give it to me with the Switch a while ago, which I told them in no uncertain terms that if anything goes wrong with the unit Id do a "TERMINATOR"

I BE BACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Haven't been on the PS5 in near a couple of weeks, I presume there's no huge changes with how Cyberpunk is running since? I was actually really enjoying it and I haven't been one of those unfortunate people that encountered a ton of bugs in the game - but the big issue is the amount of times the game crashed while playing, really kills any momentum. If that still seems to be the case for alot of people, I'm thinking of just leaving it to the side until I hear of the crashing being fixed. Would be a pity as I was really getting into it, but at this stage I don't mind waiting.

Kremin wrote: »
    Yeah I got the sheet and the staff told me Sony encourages you to go direct to them instead of Smyth's with issues

Yeah I was thinking that the manager at my store didn't invent this sheet himself. Smyth's told me that he got confused with the 28 day change of mind policy. I told them that it's quite a stretch that a store manager doesn't understand their own returns policy and is handing out a sheet that obfuscates it.

I get the logic behind going to Sony first, but all they can do is tell you go into safe mode and go through the options there, reset your router, try different channels, etc., but up or down Smyth's are bound by law to sort out your issues. I also told them that if a disc drive fails or it won't power on then there's not a lot Sony can tell me to do and it'll be getting plonked on their counter.

It's really left a sour taste and has put me off shopping with them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

shrewdness wrote: »
    Haven't been on the PS5 in near a couple of weeks, I presume there's no huge changes with how Cyberpunk is running since? I was actually really enjoying it and I haven't been one of those unfortunate people that encountered a ton of bugs in the game - but the big issue is the amount of times the game crashed while playing, really kills any momentum. If that still seems to be the case for alot of people, I'm thinking of just leaving it to the side until I hear of the crashing being fixed. Would be a pity as I was really getting into it, but at this stage I don't mind waiting.

Yep, barely any ‘bugs’ for me (well, some bugs, but nothing outrageous), but a crash to dashboard every hour or so. Hasn’t improved with the patches.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Did not get it with the PS5 but they did give it to me with the Switch a while ago, which I told them in no uncertain terms that if anything goes wrong with the unit Id do a "TERMINATOR"

I BE BACK!

Yeah a buddy got one with his Switch a while back too and he he was more "HASTA LA VISTA, SMYTH'S" (as in he isn't shopping there anymore).

I do wonder about the staff though. Too many people in this country don't know their legal rights in regards to warranties, so the staff are just following what they're being told. There must be ructions in some shops with people having genuine faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Is there something wrong with you PS5? If not, why are you giving them such a hard time?

Is there something wrong with you PS5? If not, why are you giving them such a hard time?

Because they are lying to consumers in order to shirk their legal responsibility as a retailer. And I'm not "giving them a hard time", they're well aware what they are doing and any potential repercussions for them are deserved.

They're getting away with it because no one is pulling them up on it. At the very least the CCPC should be notified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭jj880

Havin a mare with buying anything / adding credit on playstation online.

Keep getting "An error has occured". Very informative.

Tried 2 different credit cards. No luck. Even got out a statement to make sure my address in my profile and payment card match 100%. No joy.

Ive now bought top up cards from Smyths 3 hours ago. Still no top up codes to my email. wth is going on?

Nintendo eshop is so simple compared to this bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

jj880 wrote: »

Tried 2 different credit cards. No luck. Even got out a statement to make sure my address in my profile and payment card match 100%. No joy.

Ive now bought top up cards from Smyths 3 hours ago. Still no top up codes to my email. wth is going on?

Got this email from Sony t'other day, maybe related....

"Hi jimburnley

Some new payment services legislation is coming into force which may impact how you buy digital content for PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 over the next few months.

What’s happening?
    The legislation comes from the EU ‘Revised Payment Services Directive’ (also known as ‘PSD2’) and is designed to increase the security around online payments by ensuring the person making an online transaction is the payment method holder.

Banks, credit card providers and payment institutions are in the process of adapting their security measures to meet PSD2 standards. The new security standard is known as 3DS. 3DS will require purchasers to pass additional security during their payment transaction such as entering a One Time Password (received to their mobile phone) or providing the answer to a security question.

Unfortunately, while these changes are being adopted, 3DS authentication failures may cause payments made on games consoles including PS4™ and PS5™ to be declined. We expect this to impact credit and debit cards more than PayPal and other payment methods we accept. Voucher code redemption will be unaffected.

How do I continue to buy PS4™ or PS5™ digital content?
    You should still be able to successfully check out on console using PayPal or another alternative payment method. You can also buy Wallet-Top up vouchers to redeem on your console and then use the wallet funds for your purchases.

Alternatively, the off-console version of Playstation™Store – accessible via desktop or mobile devices – is not expected to be as adversely impacted by the 3DS implementation process so you can try using your credit or debit card to buy content via PS Store at: store.playstation.com

After signing into PS Store and buying your content, you can go back to your console to download it.

My payment is being declined on both my console and on my desktop or mobile device. What can I do? How long will this go on for?
    Please contact your bank or credit card provider directly if you wish to query why a payment has been declined. Please also contact them for news on when their 3DS implementation will work for games consoles.

Where can you find out more?
    Further information can be found at our FAQ Page."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

You're better off not linking credit cards to PSN account anyway. There have been enough stories going around of accounts getting hacked .In saying that though, half the time people didn't have two form authentication activated on their accounts. Try places like eneba where PSN credit works out cheaper and you usually get them instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Going to buy my first PS5 game. Any suggestions? Thinking either Spider Man or Dark Souls.

Smyth's top up cards only deliver during their opening hours, so you're not seeing those today.

You're better off not linking credit cards to PSN account anyway. There have been enough stories going around of accounts getting hacked .In saying that though, half the time people didn't have two form authentication activated on their accounts. Try places like eneba where PSN credit works out cheaper and you usually get them instantly

Tried cd keys first. Sold out. Just looked on eneba. Sold out also. Makes me think im not the only one having trouble. Removed my cards from PSN now and will keep them off it. Will probably do PayPal if smyths dont send codes out during opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Same issue on PS mobile app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Tried cd keys first. Sold out. Just looked on eneba. Sold out also. Makes me think im not the only one having trouble. Removed my cards from PSN now and will keep them off it. Will probably do PayPal if smyths dont send codes out during opening hours.

I was under the impression there was an issue linking PayPal to PS store as it only accepted US PayPal accounts? Maybe its fixed now but this was definatly the case before...

• Advertisement

sticker wrote: »
    I was under the impression there was an issue linking PayPal to PS store as it only accepted US PayPal accounts? Maybe its fixed now but this was definatly the case before...

Jesus is that the next of it!?

Hopefully Smyths come through tomorrow morning. I dont mind using them for now.

Will keep an eye on cdkeys and eneba. They have some good offers that might be back in stock soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus is that the next of it!?

Hopefully Smyths come through tomorrow morning. I dont mind using them for now.

Will keep an eye on cdkeys and eneba. They have some good offers that might be back in stock soon.

Have you checked your spam folder for a Smyths email with the code?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

You have 6 years to seek redress for faulty goods in this country. The minute I here warranty I laugh. The contract of sale is between you and Smyth’s nothing to do with Sony.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Have you checked your spam folder for a Smyths email with the code?

Yeah nothing yet. Thinking of testing out a uk PSN account and using some uk codes on it. At least they are in stock and lots of games look cheaper.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    You have 6 years to seek redress for faulty goods in this country. The minute I here warranty I laugh. The contract of sale is between you and Smyth’s nothing to do with Sony.

Yes I'm well aware of all that, like I said I backed them into a corner and made them admit what your consumer rights are.

I'm posting to see if it was a one off thing (which it clearly wasn't) or are they trying to pull the wool over customers' eyes (which they clearly are).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Apologies this was the post my reply was for 6 years not 2 years.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I was meant to write minimum two year warranty there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I was meant to write minimum two year warranty there myself.

There no minimum in Irish law, there's only the time limit to seek redress.

It's a judgement call on what someone can be expected to last, if both parties can't agree then it's SCC and a judge saying that a 10k TV should last more than 2 years or a 150 Lidl one can't be expected to last the same as a more expensive one.

That's correct. It's two years minimum under EU law, which is superceded by our own anything upto six years.

I had too much NYE Bushmills last night and am still suffering today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

sticker wrote: »

I’ve used PayPal as my payment method on the PS store as long as I can remember.

Advertisement