Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

bennyl10 wrote: »
    will that include the ps+ version?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Kimbot wrote: »
    There is also a game called "Phar Lap Horse racing" on the playstation store.

Also Chocobo racing which I imagine is far superior to horse racing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

This is NOT a trolling question:

Is the PS5 not a bit of a waste of money at present? It has only a handful of new PS5 games and from what I have seen, people are resorting to having to REPLAY their old PS4 games (albeit at a better resolution) to get any benefit out of it.

What is the real point of upgrading to a PS5 at this time if it is just a glorified PS4 emulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Doodah7 wrote: »

Is the PS5 not a bit of a waste of money at present? It has only a handful of new PS5 games and from what I have seen, people are resorting to having to REPLAY their old PS4 games (albeit at a better resolution) to get any benefit out of it.

What is the real point of upgrading to a PS5 at this time if it is just a glorified PS4 emulator?
    Same can be said for anything new, sure why would you buy the Samsung Galaxy S21, iPhone 12 don't they just emulate all your old apps?

Launch windows are always poor for games and it takes a good 6-12 months to really get any sort of catalogue to play, this was true of PS4 etc. With C-19 this has pushed out things a bit as most work places lost a good 3-6 months last year whilst moving to work from home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PS4 was the same when it launched. It took about a year for some good quality games to come out ec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PS4 was the same when it launched. It took about a year for some good quality games to come out ec.

And the PS3 before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

it is absolutely worth the money

my mrs paid nearly €800 for it ( fuuckin eejit, i know) and she says its worth the money

So why the ridiculous clamour for it? Because it's shiny and new?

akelly02 wrote: »
    it is absolutely worth the money

my mrs paid nearly €800 for it ( fuuckin eejit, i know) and she says its worth the money

As my old English teacher once said, you might have to expand your answer a little more. Worth the money how? How is it €800 better than a PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yup!

Never under estimate the lure of something shiny and new.

• Advertisement

As my old English teacher once said, you might have to expand your answer a little more. Worth the money how? How is it €800 better than a PS4?

To me its worth is as its faster than the PS4 which mean less time loading for me and more time playing games. Also the new controller is fantastic and a much better fit in my hand than the DS4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s very little need to rush out and get a PS5 at the moment.

Saying that, it’s a massive leap over my launch PS4. PC quality performance as standard... proper 4K and HDR support... super fast SSD loading times... Definitely a welcome upgrade, even when the exclusives are thin on the ground. Don’t regret picking one up on launch day one bit - and hell it’ll be there ready to go for the next five or six years anyway, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The free God of War PS5 patch drops tomorrow apparently. 4K at 60 FPS, essentially.

Cleared this last year on the PS4, might give it a download and try finish off the trophies now, great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Cleared this last year on the PS4, might give it a download and try finish off the trophies now, great game!

Even without the patch, it's a massive step up to play it on the PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

Hey guys.Has anyone heard of any news on when the SSD update might be available. Dying to get the storage updated. I know you can use expansion drive for Ps4 games but I'm holding out to have it all on the console. I'm surprised it hasn't been released yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nothing wrong with playing PS4 games on it. The faster load times are a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

duploelabs wrote: »
    Even without the patch, it's a massive step up to play it on the PS5

It's actually ****ing phenomenal how good it looks...

I'm so happy they are updating it, even though I own the disc anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Well think about it - do you expect the price of the PS5 to significantly drop in the next 12 months? I doubt it. So what's the point of waiting? You could wait a year to have a better selection of games but ultimately the console price will likely be the same so if I buy it now I've gotten an extra year of using the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and there's feck all to do besides sit in and play games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I've already platinumed God of war but definitely going to dip back in now and see how the patch looks on PS5 Is it actually out yet? I know they said today at some point.

On the whole is the PS5 worth it right now - i suppose in the economist sense its not yet. You are buying for future games etc but as others have said it really is light years ahead of the ps4 (and pro) plus there are some decent games out for it already not to mention a massive back compat list which all play better on the PS5 patched or not.

If you are into gaming i don't know why you wouldn't want it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Tbf, you can hit the ground running more with the PS5 than you could with the PS4, especially if you have PS Plus and the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The PS4 was much harder to justify being an early adopter of. Bar shinier graphics and some of the controller features, it added very little new and because it wasn't backwards compatible there was f*ck all to play on it bar remasters or game of the year editions of PS3 games which had to be bought again.

With the PS5, the ssd is a huge benefit, the dualsense where implemented correctly is fantastic, downloads are a lot faster, and being backwards compatible with PS4 games (many of which are giving upgrade paths to a boosted PS5 version for free or minimal cost), there's ample reason to buy a PS5.

Are there enough reasons to make it a "must buy"? That's too subjective. I can see the reasons for waiting, especially given the maelstrom of trying to get one pre-Xmas. But the price isn't going to drop in any significant way probably until late 2022 at the earliest, so if anyones planning on getting one eventually, the biggest reason (outside of the individual's own finances) that I can see is just waiting to see if there's any build issues appearing after a few months of use which might need a model revision to fix.

My ps4 was on its last legs, struggling with a lot of the newer games so replacing it was a no brainer. No wait to start ps5 and load a game cause it keeps the game in the last place I was playing it. Completely worth it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hey all,

Sorry if this was asked/answered already but I see Control is part of PS Plus this month, will the PS5 edition be part of this free download to PS subscribers? Great review here:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How can you check for updates in game library view?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, the PS5 version of Control is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sweet, I only played God of War on the Pro a few months back but I skipped all the side content so will definitely go back and play through this again on the PS5 with that update. I'll have the added bonus of not having to listen to the Pro this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know this is the PS5 thread but most people here will be able to use it.

PS4 wrap up of 2020

https://www.wrapup.playstation.com/en-ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I know this is the PS5 thread but most people here will be able to use it.

PS4 wrap up of 2020

https://www.wrapup.playstation.com/en-ie/

There is some PS5 content in there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

PS Plus has been surprisingly good since the PS5 released.

Advertisement