Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s mink population to be culled for being perfectly healthy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

We have different definitions of the word cruel. To me releasing animals in the wild that have never fed themselves before is cruel.

They would starve pretty quickly. Especially carnivous animals like Mink.

The 30,000 wild mink we currently have would disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

I came across a wild mink down the West last year. They seem very well adapted to our environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We really shouldn’t think that releasing further mink is a good thing.

Eco systems are a fine balance and releasing such a new predator onto our native animals is a terrible thing to do.

Even the resurgence of pine martins while useful at the moment to kill off grey squirrels, will test the balance. Here locally birds or prey have been released and are doing well. But there isn’t a rabbit left about where once they were plentiful.

The idiots that already released the existing mink should have been heavily persecuted for the damage that has resulted.

Slaughter is the only answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s a far cry from the mistruths of your initial post.

I’m no fan of hyper intense farming myself, but even that is highly regulated and adheres to strict standards. The likes of Antibiotic usage in Ireland is very very low across the board.

Our cattle are at grass nearly all the time, we’re having a heifer butchered are the moment and she was only maybe 3 weeks indoors in her life and for that time she ate grass silage. Never had antibiotics etc.
    Our pigs for the freezer are free to roam and root outside when they please. And the chickens similar but are shut in at night to save from the Fox.

Mink are predators, caging them is torture to their natural instinct. Housing cattle for example to stop poaching ground when it’s wet, cattle are content and relaxed when in good clean housing, pigs similarly, being confined in good environment doesn’t stress them at all.

And thats why I apologised. It wasn't a mistruth it was just me crap at saying what I was trying to say. All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It's all very cruel poor little critters. Be great if someone could manage to release some.. Even by accident ��

You OK with native wildlife being decimated?
    Mink
    Threats. High Impact.

Predates on a large number of species, leading to a reduction of native biodiversity.

It is of a particular threat to ground nesting birds, especially those which are already threatened or vulnerable.
    The species will often practice ‘surplus killing’, which means they kill more than they are able to eat.
    Due to its proficiency at swimming the species can make its way between islands, spreading its range even further.

Link

Damage Caused by Mink

Mink will attack animals up to the size of a chicken, duck, rabbit, or new born lamb. Like some other members of the weasel family, mink can exhibit “surplus killing” behavior when presented with an abundance of food, such as in a poultry house full of chickens.

Mink are capable of eating significant numbers of nesting waterfowl and young game birds. In addition, they kill fish of all species including ornamental pond fish. They typically kill their prey by biting them through the skull or neck. Two closely spaced neat skin punctures on the neck or skull are the sign of a mink kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It's all very cruel poor little critters. Be great if someone could manage to release some.. Even by accident ��

Have you no idea of the damage released mink have done to our native species and ecosystem? It's absurd.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Have you no idea of the damage released mink have done to our native species and ecosystem? It's absurd.

Much like what this bunch of nutters did...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/animal-terrorists-blamed-for-release-of-5000-farmed-mink-26684904.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Yea but where did the mink get it and why only mink. Something is missing from the story.

Something is missing alright.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Something is missing alright.......

Well, the simple answer is that some species are more susceptible to viruses being passed back and forth and causing mutations, and that Mink are one of those.

Some people who don't understand science and biology fail to understand this and see it as some conspiracy theory or pushing of some other agenda, some of these people can learn, others refuse to learn and instead embrace their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

joeguevara wrote: »
    Nothing prepared me for the look of devastation on the faces of relatives that had to cull entire herds of cattle whose bloodline was raised for generations because of the outbreak of foot and mouth. Carcasses on bonfires left the toughest men I know bent over crying.

Not one of them ever were bitter or angry as they knew that it was necessary and right. Anyone who is arguing about minks being culled because of the risk of mutation and more virulent virus is either misinformed, confused or something else.

Firstly, minks are kept in horrendous conditions only to be slaughtered. In the wild they are vermin and really nasty creatures. It’s similar to a cull on rats if weils disease was spreading through society.

Very true and to the point post, ireland was very lucky with foot and mouth, and hopefully we are they same with this covid. Question what are mink used for only to satisfy egos of the rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hardyn wrote: »
    It's not just coats. Mink fur is used in beauty products like make up brushes and fake eyelashes.

Isn't an eyelash or a brush just hair?
    Couldn't you just shave it rather than kill it if that were the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

46 Long wrote: »
    Everyone has a fridge and freezer, even those living in shared accommodation or the most squalid bedsits. It's mandatory for landlords to provide one, along with an oven, microwave and access to a washing machine. If you're not renting and can't afford a fridge you should be able to get to apply for an exceptional needs payment.

Interesting ideas. Freezers and fridges are desirable but not essential by any means. Living without is easy enough, as is living without meat or chicken

A matter of personal choice in all these cases. As well as financial...Which all are free to male.

And an "amazing" evasion of my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why does mink farming even take place? The farming of cows is necessary because food is essential. Fur is not an essential product.

Whatever we feel about the Mink cull we need to acknowledge that an end to Mink farming was a part of the programme for government.

It's going to happen in the near future so it might as well be done when it presents a reduction of risk benefiting the public health.

They have been saying that for nearly 20 years. Not to be believed so at least now they will be made to do it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

How will it be done out of curiosity?

Gassing?

Are we going to take care of the wild mink too?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Why does mink farming even take place? The farming of cows is necessary because food is essential. Fur is not an essential product.

Farms of cows are also not necessary and harmful for environment:
    Insects are cheap, nutritious, and—according to some supporters—delicious. There are over 2,100 edible insect species, which offers a vast array of options for food dishes. FAO states that edible insects contain high-quality protein, amino acids, vitamins, calcium, zinc, and iron for humans.

When you have a healthy source of protein, minerals, and other important nutrients, a Michelin restaurant taste experience might arguably be a secondary priority. Consider that 100 grams of beef contain 29 grams of protein, but also 21 grams of fat. On the other hand, 100 grams of grasshopper contain 20 grams of protein and only 6 grams of fat.

In addition to nutritional value, commercial insect production has a much smaller negative impact on the environment than traditional sources of protein. Rearing conventional livestock, for example, accounts for a staggering 18% of total greenhouse gas emissions. But insect breeding releases much less greenhouse gas, methane, and ammonia than raising cattle and pigs, and requires less water.
    (c) https://www.thebalancesmb.com/edible-insects-as-sustainable-food-alternatives-4153360

Simple. MONEY! GREED!

How will it be done out of curiosity?

Gassing?

Are we going to take care of the wild mink too?

Yes they gas them at 6 months anyways. One way is a motor bike with the exhaust into a big tank; carbon monoxide.

Wishful thinking re the wild mink. A much harder task.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The mink are better off to be put out of their miserable conditions, it is about time that practice is ended

Isn't an eyelash or a brush just hair?
    Couldn't you just shave it rather than kill it if that were the case?

They have teeth.... Much " easier" to kill them than to shave them and these folk go for the easy way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Here's what it boils down to:

You want your cheap Chinese labour and products, then you deal with the consequences.

So you bought a cheap plug for 50c out of the poundshop. Was it worth it for the life you're forced into now?

It's getting time to seriously change course on how commerce is conducted around the world. We can't keep this pace of destruction up to save a euro, with people, animals and the environment dying.

What about the next killer disease? When is that due? The answer is at any moment. There have already been a few scares during THIS pandemic.

Things must change.

Are you a vegan or an "animal lover" on a crusade?

Anyway, to answer your question - no, of course not.

I like a good steak, a good burger, a nice bit of roast beef, and bolognese and other stuff made from minced beef too. I like pig meat in all its forms. Not a huge lover of lamb myself, but I know a huge number of people like it too. So else are we going to get all these tasty foods?

You are evading the question. Many prefer their animals alive and happy. Crusading? Yes you are...but of course there is room for both views and no one should be naysaying the other views. My choice is as little meat as possible. Preferably none.. I love to see cows and sheep alive and thriving. Yours is different. OK? OK.

gozunda wrote: »
    What logic says invading aliens would be in anyway morally superior to us? Why would they turn up like some intergalactic Judge Judy TV show?

Aliens arriving here ard just as likley to take and plunder what they can and feck off. Or make off with all our crops and farmed animals for themselves. And probably result in doing pretty much the same as what happens in the industrial production of crops which results in millions of wild animals and other organisms being killed during cultivation and harvesting. And no the majority of crops aren't grown for animals - as farm animals, pets, horses etc get fed the left overs of the human food industry when they're not eating grass or similar. Not too sure what the aliens would do with the left overs...

Are we bad guys or the good guys? I'd reckon its nowhere as black or white as that tbh. What we are - is the dominant species on the planet atm. I'm sure we won't be the last....

:eek:

Do go to Radio Kerry and read the news... Michael Healy Rae is giving his opinion on the mink cull with his usual …..No need to cull as there is no sign of infection.

Over and out from me on this topic! After that there really is no more to say!

Graces7 wrote: »
    :eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Thats me wrote: »
    Farms of cows are also not necessary and harmful for environment:

(c) https://www.thebalancesmb.com/edible-insects-as-sustainable-food-alternatives-4153360

Expecting most people to eat insects instead of meat?! Pull the other one!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Expecting most people to eat insects instead of meat?! Pull the other one!

Expecting most people to wear plastic coats instead of mink coats?! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I cant stress this enough. as someone who hunts and seen the damage mink can do they shouldn't be here in the first place. farmed or wild. they've no place here. Cull them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I cant stress this enough. as someone who hunts and seen the damage mink can do they shouldn't be here in the first place. farmed or wild. they've no place here. Cull them all.

You are correct that they do a lot of damage and they shouldn't be here but the task of culling them would be very labour intensive.

As they are a territorial animal killing one just opens up space for another to thrive.

It would need to be a national eradication programme to work.

• Advertisement

Jobs for nobody fur coats for everyone

Not fur coats. Mink eyelashes are the in thing. https://www.her.ie/beauty/ten-things-i-learned-when-i-got-mink-lashes-for-the-first-time-390625

Advertisement