Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 1030 vs 1030 plus

Options
  • 19-11-2020 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into getting a bike computer and the Edge 1030 has caught my eye.

However, I just realised that the model was upgraded this year to the 1030 Plus version.

The original 1030 was released back in 2017 so there is quite a gap between the release dates. Despite this, there doesn't seem to be too much of a spec difference between the two. Apart from aesthetics and a slight faster CPU, I'm struggling to find any difference that would justify the €220 price uplift (the original 1030 is now discounted on some sites), unless I am missing something substantial here!

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether I should go for the older version or splash out the extra cash and future-proof myself (if that's even an issue) with the 1030 plus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Id future proof if you can, the 1030 while getting all of the features in firmware updates is still 2017 hardware.

From reading online there are talks of a new model within the next year to replace the 1030 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

jamesd wrote: »
    Id future proof if you can, the 1030 while getting all of the features in firmware updates is still 2017 hardware.

From reading online there are talks of a new model within the next year to replace the 1030 plus.

Interesting. If there is a new flagship model on the way then I might just bide my time and hopefully pick up a discounted 1030 plus next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've found with my last two Garmin's (820 & 1030) that they improve over time. When they are released first they tend to be slow, crash a bit, buggy and with less features.

I'd buy the 1030 normal version - you can get it easily now for 300€ and maybe even less on Black Friday somewhere, then if the 1040 or whatever does come out, I wouldn't buy it immediately but wait for the first sign of a deal, and sell the 1030 for 200€ or so if still in good condition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My 1030 has been very dependable now for close to 3 years (got it early 2018). However it does have some sort of screen burn which I have just looked up. Apparently I am eligible for a free replacement, so might just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

My 1030 after 2 years and 1 month decided to fry itself while charging, melted the usb charging port and about an inch of the usb cable.

Got on Garmin to see if they could do anything and they offered me a refurb for free but then sent me out a new one with another full 2yr warranty.

Also has been solid - never any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

I'd buy the 1030 normal version - you can get it easily now for 300€ and maybe even less on Black Friday somewhere, then if the 1040 or whatever does come out, I wouldn't buy it immediately but wait for the first sign of a deal, and sell the 1030 for 200€ or so if still in good condition.

They're going for €340 on at the mo on Wiggle but might drop a bit further on the big day. I'll make a call then. There won't be too much cycling done between now and the Spring though so I might just reassess the situation then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I’ve had the 1030 for about two years now and find it great. Only problem is at first it wouldn’t connect to my WiFi at all then all of a sudden for about 8 months it connected every time and now back to not connecting!

Advertisement