Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Seal around Windows

Options
  • 19-11-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So i had the Munster cowboys send a northern man they don't acknowledge anymore to badly fit my windows. Poor sound insulation which no doubt means poor heat saving.

Was doing some painting ealrier this year and seen they never finished the outside around the windows - literally gaps there.

I have no skill with plaster but can do a decent filling job - just wondering if the best way to go is just pump a load of mastik into the joints??

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all,

So i had the Munster cowboys send a northern man they don't acknowledge anymore to badly fit my windows. Poor sound insulation which no doubt means poor heat saving.

Was doing some painting ealrier this year and seen they never finished the outside around the windows - literally gaps there.

I have no skill with plaster but can do a decent filling job - just wondering if the best way to go is just pump a load of mastik into the joints??

Any help would be great.

How long ago did they fit them ?
    Get a quote from a window installer and go through small claims to cover the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

ted1 wrote: »
    How long ago did they fit them ?
    Get a quote from a window installer and go through small claims to cover the costs

18 months ago now - had thought of going the SC route but with covid etc just kinda decided to get it fixed end of - Munster Joinery may be cheap but they are the Eir of the window world.

Was really just looking for what the basic fix is - not an issue doing a bit of DIY - just need to be pointed somewhat right i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talk to Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

NIMAN wrote: »
    Talk to Joe!

I'd say he is sick of hearing this one. I know 5 people got MJ for the windows and all 5 complain.

To be fair i knew it before ordering but at half the cost of others took the hit and will correct myself.

They are utterly useless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

For the sake of fairness, Munster were very good with us, and came back out after 12 months to give everything a once over and fix a couple of issues after the windows had settled. I'd be giving them a call myself anyway, visible gaps around the windows is a bit of a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

18 months ago now - had thought of going the SC route but with covid etc just kinda decided to get it fixed end of - Munster Joinery may be cheap but they are the Eir of the window world.

Was really just looking for what the basic fix is - not an issue doing a bit of DIY - just need to be pointed somewhat right i suppose.

I would say spray foam the gaps let it dry then cut it back and silicone. Get as much foam as you can around the windows. Because if munster didn't silicone you can be sure they didn't foam either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

Can you post a pic or two?

Advertisement