Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home rescue -rte

Options
  • 19-11-2020 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭

Is anyone watching this on rte? Roisin seems to always ruin every house she works on. Is it just me that thinks this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Wasn’t a fan of the blue colour in the house but I did like how they made the window into a door

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Kathnora

I find the whole set up annoying and frustrating. The relationship and dialogue between Roisin and Peter is the same week after week. She puts him under pressure and doesn't inform him of her plans in time. He says it can't be done in 3 days and hey presto it does get done. Drama (that everyone can see through) for the tv cameras. It's also totally unrealistic to expect projects to be completed to a satisfactory standard in 3 days ...especially as manpower looks to be scarce on the programme. Tonight for instance in the finished bedroom there were holes visible in the newly painted walls. The storage unit was left unpainted and as for the hot press door and new door to the garden...the "stressed" look an excuse not to paint???? When Martin Jr was painting the outside of the house he painted over dirt and cracked plaster. In general the standard of work in these projects is not good. Many built in shelves, wardrobes etc are left unpainted and cheap MDF is used too. Home Rescue is done on the cheap and it shows. It's good for decluttering and helping people to get on top of things but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Kathnora I agree with everything you have said about the show. The fake squabbling between Roisin and Peter is boring and not needed. Last night it was obvious the man who owns the house was not happy with his house being painted blue but no Roisin wanted to plough ahead with it.( its not even an easy colour to paint over). The bedroom ended up looking like a bad 1980's student accomodation bedroom - not suitable for a man his age or not in keeping with the age of the house. The look on your mans face was that he hated it. The sitting room looked ok - I agree the distressed door was an excuse not to paint it.

The show is a good concept however Roisin just seems to deliver makeshift horrible rooms. Her design taste seems to be eclectic and she assumes everyone else has the same taste. I think the budget they are given could be spent wiser

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Awful blue colour! Just awful! He pleaded with her. She ignored him. Later, he said he liked it. God love him. They should be very ashamed they did that to him.

This week's project was in Drogheda. Now there were some good features to it ...new presses, electrics, island, cooker, fridge and they did a lovely job on the pantry. Now to the negatives ..... The unpainted roughly plastered wall that was supposed to resemble a building in Venice???? I doubt if Venice featured highly in the owner's life. What an excuse not to paint! But, it wouldn't be a big job to paint it later if that's what suits Carol and Charmaine. As for the old mish mash of wall tiles that were left on the walls!! I appreciate there were a lot of layers of paper etc to scrape off and it wasn't an easy task but ... OMG those tiles looked awful ...a mixture of blue and orange ones, nothing matching and all to suit Roisin's weird style! It's a big risk letting her into a house.

• Advertisement

Kathnora wrote: »
    This week's project was in Drogheda. Now there were some good features to it ...new presses, electrics, island, cooker, fridge and they did a lovely job on the pantry. Now to the negatives ..... The unpainted roughly plastered wall that was supposed to resemble a building in Venice???? I doubt if Venice featured highly in the owner's life. What an excuse not to paint! But, it wouldn't be a big job to paint it later if that's what suits Carol and Charmaine. As for the old mish mash of wall tiles that were left on the walls!! I appreciate there were a lot of layers of paper etc to scrape off and it wasn't an easy task but ... OMG those tiles looked awful ...a mixture of blue and orange ones, nothing matching and all to suit Roisin's weird style! It's a big risk letting her into a house.

I Agree they got a better functioning kitchen but it would have looked so much better if the tiles were removed and walls were painted. The kitchen wouldnt be to my taste. It looked like it will fall apart in a short time. The house did get a good clear out though. I get the impression Peter is less than proud of the work he does on this show but he has to do what Roisin wants

Fair play to the camera crew - great job hiding the massive scorch marks and burned out rubbish, broken walls, graffiti and boarded up houses along the green when they went out for a walk. Made the area look somewhat half decent.

The end result in the kitchen itself wasn't great, in fairness. Definitely would need someone to come in with a few sheets of plasterboard and a tin of paint to finish it properly - but i presume they get all what was done, for free, so they're still 'up' in the end anyway. A massive improvement over what it was when they started out. The electrical work was a pain in the hole, i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just watched the tail end of an episode of this. Seemed to involve doing up a bedroom and a meditation room. Absolutely everything in the bedroom is painted blue. Very trendy, but can imagine getting sick of it very quickly. As for the meditation room, you'd want to take a couple of panadol before going in there.. Very cluttered looking, the opposite of what is needed to relax.

This week's episode (Dec 3rd) was a better makeover than some of the previous ones. I agree with UsBus though re that blue colour in the bedroom. It's very strong! And the ceiling was even painted blue too!
    Once again the absence of good finishes and a lick of paint takes from the whole project ... in my opinion. The bedroom floor was sanded and the cheap plywood floor needed more than that. Sanding a floor without staining or varnishing it will lead to a very grubby surface in no time. A carpet in the bedroom would look so much better. The second room was designed fairly well for storage. The "rafters" were a good idea for storing paddles etc off the ground. But again no paint!!! The desk looked well designed but not being painted/stained made it look cheap and inferior. Do Roisin and Peter not realise that unpainted/unstained surfaces attract a lot of grime after a period of time? The only thing is of course that the home owners can do the painting themselves afterwards. I wonder how many of them do that?

The bedroom looked good - nicer than what Roisin normally delivers. Kathnora I agree the floor will get grubby in no time. I dont think Roisin thinks longterm ahead for the families she is designing for. Also I think it wouldnt feel good underfoot. UsbusI think you are right re the dark blue - it will go out of fashion. It will take a good few coats of paint to go over aswell.

I didnt like the storage room idea - This room will just be filled with junk again in no time. It is trying to serve too many purposes and delivering on none. It should have been made a study or a meditiation room. The lady should get a small shed for storage outside instead of lifting this gear up and down the stairs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement