Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abspestos floor adhesive in bathroom floor

Options
  • 19-11-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

We are in the process of potentially buying a house. We have gone sale agreed and are just after getting the structural report.
    The report has indicated that there is flooring in the bathroom which has abspestos adhesive.
    The bathroom is very small but this for me is a worry.
    Can anyone share there experience on dealing with abspestos and costs associated with removal.
    The original plan was to make the bathroom an office and move the bathroom to a different room in the house. We are not quite sure what this finding now means and we are quite confused as to what to do. It's a house built in the 50s and well kept for what it is. We had planned on taking up all floors when we got in but obviously we can't take up the floor affected.
    We are just weary that the abspestos may cost a fortune to remove.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Get a test first of all as you will need it.

https://www.ohss.ie/

What size is bathroom? 2m x 2m?

Edit: Sorry I see report states it is an ACM? Can you encapsulate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Alkers

Contact some companies yourself, friends of ours paid circa 500e to get a roof of an outhouse disposed of. Was a decent amount of material but s simple enough job as there wasn't much involved to get the material loose

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I had this issue in my house. Had it in hall and old kitchen about a 20m2 total, was a 2-3k (cant remember exact figure) to remove by reputable company. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't think it's a major deal OP but as others suggest get some indicative pricing on it.

There is a few companies out there, but naming no names a place in Wexford seems more competitive than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Holly1010

The bathroom is separate from the toilet there is a wall between them but both have same issue. Toilet 1.5 x 1m and bathroom 2m by 2.5m approx. Has anyone any experience in the process. I see posts on here about air monitoring before you can return to the house??
    The cost obviously is a factor but once it isn't huge money.. It is an old house so we also have to get woodworm treated.. We are weighing up our options.

In and out in one day. Place was left clean & tidy, no dust.

Hi folks.. Another question we have got it assessed and the company have said as its only the adhesive that there is small amounts of asbestos in and the floor is in good condition they recommend encapsulation of the floors and a new floor put over it rather than removal.. Has anyone else got this done?

What kind of floor are you planning?

BryanF wrote: »
    What kind of floor are you planning?

Not sure, whatever is safest considering. There is already carpet over one area.. The company who assessed it said its a safe thing to do once the floor underneath is not disturbed. Something has to be applied over the vinyl before the new floor is put down and they said that there would be no issue unless we were to knock walls down the line it would then need to be removed.

• Advertisement

Holly1010 wrote: »
    Hi folks.. Another question we have got it assessed and the company have said as its only the adhesive that there is small amounts of asbestos in and the floor is in good condition they recommend encapsulation of the floors and a new floor put over it rather than removal.. Has anyone else got this done?

It was more dangerous to remove adhesive in jobs I’ve dealt with in past. So best practice was to apply floor levelling compound over it to encapsulate it, albeit this was a concrete floor. You could just screw 6mm ply over floor?

mad m wrote: »
    It was more dangerous to remove adhesive in jobs I’ve dealt with in past. So best practice was to apply floor levelling compound over it to encapsulate it, albeit this was a concrete floor. You could just screw 6mm ply over floor?

The leveling compound is the plan but not sure about the floor depends what we are going to turn the room into may just be a utility in one and storage and cloak room in the other as the rooms are very small and so is the hallway . The company said most people opt for this due to costs of removal and the fact that once its not disturbed it poses no issue so it is definitely the best option for us..although we had planned to knock a wall in that area down the line so this has put a stop to that but no big deal. Would you have any idea of average encapsulation costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm definitely no expert, but the health risk would be near non-existent. The asbestos is already encapsulated in the adhesive and covered by flooring so no chance of it becoming airborne.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Did the company who assessed it not give you a price?

I'm definitely no expert, but the health risk would be near non-existent. The asbestos is already encapsulated in the adhesive and covered by flooring so no chance of it becoming airborne.

The company did say that and said the only risk would be if we went pulling it up ourselves without precaution. Also the floor is vinyl and in good condition so to save the costs the smart thing to do is encapsulation.. Although I don't know how much this costs but was told no where near the price of removal.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Did the company who assessed it not give you a price?

No they only provided advice on what to do..and at the time I was still dead set on removal it was only after talking to someone who got encapsulation done in there house on a very big area I thought it was the best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Holly, what kind of car(s) do you drive?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Holly, what kind of car(s) do you drive?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The health risks from diesel cars is a lot higher than this inert product which, if left alone poses no health risk, so a sense of perspective is needed, combined with good technical advice/risk analysis, not from histrionic comments by keyboard warriors here and else where.
    Block mould spores are more of a threat in houses as well as all the VOCs in stuff we bring in.

Keep well and don't get over wrought by it.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

The health risks from diesel cars is a lot higher than this inert product which, if left alone poses no health risk, so a sense of perspective is needed, combined with good technical advice/risk analysis, not from histrionic comments by keyboard warriors here and else where.
    Block mould spores are more of a threat in houses as well as all the VOCs in stuff we bring in.

Keep well and don't get over wrought by it.

Great thanks! I suppose when I heard the word asbestos you immediately think of hasmat suits etc.. My other half would be of the same opinion as people saying encapsulation and forget it.. I feel alot more confident in our decision to buy having sought more info.

Thanks

• Advertisement

So just to be straight, bathroom is on the ground floor? Adhesive is to a concrete floor? If its only 2m x 2.5m. Buy a bag of floor leveling compound. mix to guide on bag and apply with a trowel, it will find its own level. Before you apply leveling compound use poly-bond on whole area first to provide a key. Just wear a FFP3 mask when doing it also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=lPh7lFyY7qI

Loads of videos on youtube

Advertisement