Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy mushrooms spawn in Ireland to grow mushrooms

Options
  • 20-11-2020 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with growing oyster mushrooms at home. I normally get the spawn delivered from this UK shop: https://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk

does anybody know of a place that makes and sells spawn in Ireland?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Are you growing them indoors or outside.

I'm looking at starting mushroom next year

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Are you growing them indoors or outside.

I'm looking at starting mushroom next year

Indoors. I tried outdoors before and the slugs had a massive mushroom feast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers for that link - there's a healthy ash tree belonging to our neighbour we've kinda gotten her to agree to take down and i was thinking mushrooms would be a good use of some of it so that link in the first post is excellent.

cheers for that link - there's a healthy ash tree belonging to our neighbour we've kinda gotten her to agree to take down and i was thinking mushrooms would be a good use of some of it so that link in the first post is excellent.

FYI, the logs have to be fresh, cut within the 4 weeks prior to the mushroom inoculation... so plan things is advance

that UK shop is great. The issue is that the delivery is very expensive if you order more than 1KG of stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i note that they say the kits willl last six months in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr Ed2011

Mr Ed2011 wrote: »

Thanks for the link.

Those products are very nice but it is not exactly what I am looking for. They sell the substrate that has already been colonised by the mycelium.

What I want to do is to go one step back, where I mix the spawn with a substrate which eventually will result in what those products are offering. So, I want to buy the spawn to then do the work myself

Thanks! Great to know about that shop

hmm. i produce quite large amounts of wood shavings (from woodturning), i'd also considered whether these might be a suitable medium for growing mushrooms.

hmm. i produce quite large amounts of wood shavings (from woodturning), i'd also considered whether these might be a suitable medium for growing mushrooms.

I think they would be suitable, provided you pasteurise the shavings to kill the competing organisms

• Advertisement

usually what i turn has been dried, but it's usually easy to tell which woods you wouldn't want to use (spalted beech etc) which would be already inoculated with fungus.
    also laburnum shavings (and i've loads of laburnum at the moment) wouldn't be usable.

https://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/ is delivering again to Ireland and NI

however, the banner which opens on the page says "SHIPPING TO EUROPE: ONLY LIQUID MYCELIUM WILL BE SHIPPED TO EUROPE AT PRESENT"

however, the banner which opens on the page says "SHIPPING TO EUROPE: ONLY LIQUID MYCELIUM WILL BE SHIPPED TO EUROPE AT PRESENT"

yes, but it follows with
    THIS IS A TEMPORARY MEASURE WHILE WE MAKE CHANGES TO OUR WEBSITE TO ALLOW EUROPEAN CUSTOMERS TO PURCHASE NON-SPAWN PRODUCTS

I ordered some spawn last week myself

what wood do you plan on using?
    there's an ash tree in my neighbour's garden which i think she's grudgingly admitted needs taking down (it's compromised and close to the house) so i hope to have some fresh ash soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Someone on a fb group I'm in recommended these to me.
    I've not used them yet
    https://gluckspilze.com

what wood do you plan on using?
    there's an ash tree in my neighbour's garden which i think she's grudgingly admitted needs taking down (it's compromised and close to the house) so i hope to have some fresh ash soon.

Growing indoors. Maybe on used coffee grounds

Advertisement