Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - head to correct thread if you want to discuss masks again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭893bet

Are all these RTÉ heads that broke the rules going to step down?

Media have been hounding other public figures (see golfgate).

Would be great to see them get a taste of their own medicine.

893bet wrote: »
    Are all these RTÉ heads that broke the rules going to step down?

Media have been hounding other public figures (see golfgate).

Would be great to see them get a taste of their own medicine.

What rules did they break?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

bubblypop wrote: »
    What rules did they break?

Essential work only
    Social distancing
    Mask wearing
    Hypocrisy

the lapse of judgement is gas, in lots of photos they're standing on the keep 2mtrs apart sign FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The lack of cop on they showed was fairly astounding.

Personally I may be going into the office for an hour this week. Even though I'm meeting a couple of people, we will all be wearing masks, and keeping it as short as possible.

I fully understand when someone is leaving a job you want to mark it, but surely they could hold off another couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Claire Byrne said that she asked Rte to appear on her show but they refused, instead they just issued a short statement.

Not good for public relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The lack of cop on they showed was fairly astounding.

Personally I may be going into the office for an hour this week. Even though I'm meeting a couple of people, we will all be wearing masks, and keeping it as short as possible.

I fully understand when someone is leaving a job you want to mark it, but surely they could hold off another couple of months.

Thats what I would have thought. 2 of my close colleagues moved on since March, we will have our send off when restrictions are lifted, hopefully in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Claire Byrne said that she asked Rte to appear on her show but they refused, instead they just issued a short statement.

Not good for public relations.

Fair play to Claire on that.

Essential work only
    Social distancing
    Mask wearing
    Hypocrisy

I presume RTE is deemed essential, they have been working all the time.
    Social distancing is not always possible at work, in this case though, it seems social distancing was observed & they took a few photos, few seconds for that.
    Nothing really terrible happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Social distancing is not always possible at work, in this case though, it seems social distancing was observed[& they took a few photos, few seconds for that.

It wasn’t though and there is simply no excusing that. If they had done nothing wrong, then they wouldn’t have come out issuing public apologies.
    And of course they are going to say it was only for a few seconds...it could well have been minutes or even longer that they stood cheek to cheek chatting to each other, we don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd say people on radio and telly who are in people's homes every day and night and who's salaries are paid for what is essentially tax are need to be just as careful as politicians.

Miriam is on €299,000 per year and if i dont pay my contribution to her salary (tv license) i can be potentially imprisoned.

You think media presenters should be held to the same standards as politicians?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Social distancing is not always possible at work, in this case though, it seems social distancing was observed & they took a few photos, few seconds for that.

I agree. But nothing really terrible happened in other instances where the same people have been organising witch hunts:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

RTE might be essential, but going away parties are not part of the essential work they should be doing at the moment....

And in any case, just because you are defined as an essential business, that does not mean you have no rules or guidelines to follow,....if fact, it should be quite clear, that your business is only open in the middle of a pandemic, because it's essential, not because there is less risk ....it's the opposite, you are the only ones allowed work, as the risk is so high at this time....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

GreeBo wrote: »
    You think media presenters should be held to the same standards as politicians?!

Well Phil Hogan was trade commissioner, not an elected politician. Seamus Woulfe is a judge, also not a politician. It seems the rules have changed a bit. Previously it was deemed fine to try to destroy someone for what was a breaking of the rules. I didn't agree with it then, but it seems there should be some kind of consistency. Or is it just ok to go after someone you don't like? Seems a lot of people had in for Hogan as they didn't like paying €60 a year for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    Well Phil Hogan was trade commissioner, not an elected politician. Seamus Woulfe is a judge, also not a politician. It seems the rules have changed a bit. Previously it was deemed fine to try to destroy someone for what was a breaking of the rules. I didn't agree with it then, but it seems there should be some kind of consistency. Or is it just ok to go after someone you don't like? Seems a lot of people had in for Hogan as they didn't like paying €60 a year for water.

I wouldnt see much in common with those two example and RTE presenters to be honest.
    Put it this way, there is as much of a link between Hogan/Woulfe and Miriam O'Callaghan as there is between you and Miriam O'Callaghan.

Ergo, any of us should be fired for breaching covid guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I wouldnt see much in common with those two example and RTE presenters to be honest.
    Put it this way, there is as much of a link between Hogan/Woulfe and Miriam O'Callaghan as there is between you and Miriam O'Callaghan.

Well I don't think any of them should be/have been fired for what were relatively minor things. None of it looked great TBH but I don't think we should try to end someones career for something like that. One thing they all have in common is that they are public figures paid by the state/EU, I am none of those things (I also follow the rules).

If I go into my work place and breach health a safety guidelines I will be disciplined accordingly up to and including dismissal....

I am quite sure a heartfelt apology is not going to cut it, for breaking clear guidelines introduced specifically to protect employees health in my sork, for a party get together and a photo op....

I am not saying they should be fired, but there must be some consequence and example set??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ForestFire wrote: »

I am not saying they should be fired, but there must be some consequence and example set??
    I am sick to death of all these breaches....they all need to go...

The Politicians, the Judges and the RTE crew....

They are funded from public money and there are is a position of trust and influence, for the rest of us...

Get rid of the lot of them, as they have no respect for what all of us, who are trying to follow the rules, are doing, including people who have lost close friends and relatives without the possibility to say goodbye.....

You change your mind?

For clarity RTE are dual funded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Going with the 70% rather than the 90% on the Oxford vaccine. How very rte of them

Boggles wrote: »
    You change your mind?

For clarity RTE are dual funded.

you are picking up my very first reaction in this thread, when clearly posted in frustration with all the breaches from these so called elite to date every couple of weeks...

Sorry but am I not allowed to change my mind? or should I stick rigidly to my first belief always? Have you ever changed your mind on anything?

Anyway....

They should be disciplined up to and including dismissal like anyone else (As per my last post), for breaches of health and safety policy...

But as these are people in the public domain, getting taxpayers money, comes extra responsibility and therefore a higher level of consequences....in my opinion

They have also come out with the cover stories, again to try to deflect and brush it under the carpet....Impromptu meeting, with the posters, balloons, cards, photographer and was it confirmed family members in attendance?

And then the "genuine" apologies....and that's it??....absolutely no consequences??

Again I have proposed a few things that could be done as discipline in this thread including, Suspended with or without pay (Removed from their shows for a while), demoted, moved to another department, and dismissal as a possibility

We are in level 5 restrictions and indoor event are not allowed, especially for parties and photos without proper protections! Sorry under any circumstances would be better here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RTE might be essential, but going away parties are not part of the essential work they should be doing at the moment....

And in any case, just because you are defined as an essential business, that does not mean you have no rules or guidelines to follow,....if fact, it should be quite clear, that your business is only open in the middle of a pandemic, because it's essential, not because there is less risk ....it's the opposite, you are the only ones allowed work, as the risk is so high at this time....

I’m essential and I must observe social distancing or hitler in a high viz will scream at me. I’d feel comfortable posing for a photo if I had my mask on. I work close with one person in our own bunker and neither of us wear masks in there but we distance. The main open offices are all masked.Let’s face it, posing maskless whilst standing beside a ridiculous amount of social distancing postering is just ****ing stupid

if some of the so called sharpest in media (RTE) and most priviledged and educated in high society (Golfgate) all manage to have a "momentary lapse" in the same party at the same time in the same context that's not accidental , that's what you call a culture of arrogance and dismissal. Suddenly the're all struggling with the complexity of geometry and arithmetic now? is it 25 people or 50 people, is it 2mtrs or 2 ft??

It does not say stand 2 meters apart "except when you're having your picture taken and in partial embrace, mask free", lets see those crocodile smiles and fangs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

If I go into my work place and breach health a safety guidelines I will be disciplined accordingly up to and including dismissal....

I am quite sure a heartfelt apology is not going to cut it, for breaking clear guidelines introduced specifically to protect employees health in my sork, for a party get together and a photo op....

Of course not. Wagons will be circled and jobs for the lads must be protected at all costs.

After nine months of blaming everyone in the country for the spread of COVID - including a week where he lurched from blaming funerals to car parks to offices and workers, Cervical Tony now thinks that it's time we stopped the 'culture of blame' now that NPHETS propaganda wing RTE are under fire.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of off topic posts deleted

If you want to complain about other matters within RTE there's a thread in Current Affairs dedicated to that

Radio 1 pure driving the wave 3 sh1te what an appalling media organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

mean gene wrote: »
    Radio 1 pure driving the wave 3 sh1te what an appalling media organisation

Don’t worry behind closed
    doors they are leaping about mask
    free, hugging and kissing and posing for
    photos and fraternising with anyone who wants to come close and cosy and earn few quid. Shouldn’t be ling before they are all covid-rip.

Very negative last night against taking the vaccine

They should be shut down an absolutely disgraceful piece of thrash

rte website leading with no hugging over christmas earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

RTE review Zero repercussion for the RTE Manager Security and Reception Services https://about.rte.ie/2020/12/07/rte-health-and-safety-review/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

compare and contrast Kay Burley 6 months off air and 2 others 3 months off air https://news.sky.com/story/kay-burley-agrees-to-be-off-air-for-six-months-after-covid-19-breach-12157105

Advertisement