Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - head to correct thread if you want to discuss masks again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Boggles wrote: »
    0015ba92-614.jpg?ratio=1.34

Looks like a mad party TBF.

You've taken one photo the others had numerous people all with arms around each other for photos. Miriam either about to or finishing a hug.
    It's absolutely idiotic that not one of them thought "hold on a second" during it. It shows too how things like this start off really well as per your photo and then loosen up really quickly.

It would be a handy excuse for Dee Forbes to cut a few loose but we all know that isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

They had their apologies written out before this even took place, I'd bet money on it.

Impromptu my ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Well that changes everything.

Boggles you know it was wrong and they know it was wrong

Why are you trying to defend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thierry12 wrote: »

I'm not.

I'm offering a counter weight to the hilarious fake outrage.

The narrative being painted on here is that it was drink fueled raucous party.

It clearly wasn't, but I don't think the point of this thread has anything to with what actually happened.

Personally I think George Lee should take one for the team and resign, then we can all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thierry12 wrote: »

To annoy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How are people trying to defend this behavior??

They've lectured the public relentlessly all year and gleefully shat on Phil Hogan et al after golfgate.

They should absolutely be hauled over the coals and made to resign, just like Hogan and his pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I'm seeing the same people outraged over other gatherings, such as golfgate, completely dismissive of this one. Why? They're both examples of absolute hypocrisy and cognisant rule breaking.

We're told to get the f*ck on with the restrictions nearly every night of the week by some of these people.

They then turn around with this with some weasel words about how they are so sorry and won't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If it was impromptu does that mean her husband and two daughters work at RTE too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No he was never in favour of them Cillian de Gascun the same. It was Ronan Glynn brought them in while Tony was off. They don't prevent the user from getting Covid that's blatantly obvious at this stage.
    He said before they were mandatory that he was out shopping one weekend and was concerned with the amount of people not wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Must be great pensions in RTE for a relatively young looking woman to be able to retire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Must be great pensions in RTE for a relatively young looking woman to be able to retire

Thought the same

How many people did she have arm around in those photos lol

Probably did it with everyone off camera too

They should show security footage for the day

Be some laugh then

She looks about retirement age.

What was she a secretary for 35 years at RTE?

I imagine she will be rolling in it all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dont give a bollix if RTE staff or anyone else has a party but it goes to show the contempt in which they hold the plebs to whom they dish up steaming bowls of fear and paranoia every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

RTE is the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Has any heads rolled yet over this? If it hasn't happened by now I doubt it will at all

Even Phil Hogan was forced to resign, so what makes Dee Forbes different?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Has any heads rolled yet over this? If it hasn't happened by now I doubt it will at all

Even Phil Hogan was forced to resign, so what makes Dee Forbes different?

She wasn't at it. :confused:

Unless you think Ursula von der Leyen should be forced to resign because the bould Phil spent a night in Galway stuffing his face with pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Problem for me is rte employees did it during level 5 restrictions.
    Golf gate happened in level two point something didn't it.
    And people were forced to resign then.
    So why not now breaking level 5 is that not worse per se

• Advertisement

She wasn't at it. :confused:

The buck stops with her surely?

Even in crazy America a Fox News or a CNN would use someone as a scapegoat over this

RTE seem to be completely untouchable

Ah no. :confused:

Why would the head of a company automatically have to resign if some of their staff "misbehaved"?.

The optics are not great, but I don't think posing for a photo or breaking the 2 meter guidelines is actually illegal.

Phil was sacked largely because he is Phil.

Denied any wrong doing, and the cover up became worse than the actual crime.

Fox News is a pretty bad example TBF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

ZX7R wrote: »

To clarify your viewpoint, do you propose that :
    - the high profile names in the photographs should resign
    - all those in the photographs should resign
    - all those at the get together should resign
    - Dee Forbes should resign
    - anyone in Ireland who has flouted even for a few seconds a covid protocol during Level 5 should resign ?

Ah no. :confused:

Why would the head of a company automatically have to resign if some of their staff "misbehaved"?.

Why is misbehaved in quotations? The optics are a disgrace on this after RTE have been trying to lecture the entire country for 8 months

So if not Dee, who should go then?

No one and "shure it'll be grand"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

ZX7R wrote: »

Exactly. Golfgate happened at our lowest levels of restrictions. People were off around the country on their staycations, restaurants were open and our daily case numbers had really just started their increase at that stage. The mood in the country at the time was completely different. I’m not for one moment condoning it - the levels of outrage at the time were correct IMO - but in a way I feel this party in RTE is nearly worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,186 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Even in crazy America a Fox News or a CNN would use someone as a scapegoat over this

RTE seem to be completely untouchable

Yep.

She is Director General.

Whomever organised this and made it happen needs to be taken to task.

Sacked? Not sure, but proper investigation and questioning..

• Registered Users Posts: 56,186 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly. Golfgate happened at our lowest levels of restrictions. People were off around the country on their staycations, restaurants were open and our daily case numbers had really just started their increase at that stage. The mood in the country at the time was completely different. I’m not for one moment condoning it - the levels of outrage at the time were correct IMO - but in a way I feel this party in RTE is nearly worse.

The RTE party is way worse. Mickey Mouse half assed gathering works-do!!

I am still baffled that so many supposedly educated and in the know people allowed this to happen..

L5 restrictions...and this went ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

To clarify your viewpoint, do you propose that :
    - the high profile names in the photographs should resign
    - all those in the photographs should resign
    - all those at the get together should resign
    - Dee Forbes should resign
    - anyone in Ireland who has flouted even for a few seconds a covid protocol during Level 5 should resign ?

The high profile names in the pictures should resign. All those in attendance who broke any implemented health and safety also.

Like it or not they are the ones in the lime light they are the ones who in there position are to be leading by example.
    Just to add anybody at golf gate should have same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

froog wrote: »
    Ah stop will ye. We're not america ffs. Stop copying the morons over there.

Hey quit with the stupid comments.

Everyone around me here in the states has been wearing masks since February and social distancing And isolating....long before Ireland was... none of us have had COVID .... well I might have had but got it in Ireland... long story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

It doesn't have to be A) resign or B) no action.

There are plenty of different disiplineary options I'm sure that are available...

How about the high profile presenters take a 4-6 week suspended leave (with or without pay).?

Gone from there lovely shows and would set a good example and also a nice opportunity for some others to step up for RTE reporting duties?

That would probable hurt the egos the most to be put on the bold step for a while.

Advertisement