Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE - head to correct thread if you want to discuss masks again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Boggles wrote: »
    0015ba92-614.jpg?ratio=1.34

Looks like a mad party TBF.

Hadn't seen that photo before but I suppose splashing that over the front page of The Sun wouldn't have created the outrage or sold the volume of newspapers they were hoping for.
    I find the witchhunt as amusing as the fact they actually were naive enough to pose for photos. I haven't taken rte seriously since the early days of the pandemic but many do. They are the people that feel let down, but calling for heads to roll is an over the top reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

prunudo wrote: »
    Hadn't seen that photo before but I suppose splashing that over the front page of The Sun wouldn't have created the outrage or sold the volume of newspapers they were hoping for.
    I find the witchhunt as amusing as the fact they actually were naive enough to pose for photos. I haven't taken rte seriously since the early days of the pandemic but many do. They are the people that feel let down, but calling for heads to roll is an over the top reaction.

Obviously some people lost the run of themselves after that picture . Probably started off fine and then some “ forgot “ about restrictions and distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This RTE gathering is much worse than Golfgate. Why?

We have been in Level 5 for weeks now. Everyone is 100% clear that gatherings are not allowed.

These are highly paid people who are paid by us the plebs.

These are the same people who have been on day and night like a school teacher telling the stupid students to behave themselves or there will be consequences.

The organised balloons, people, family a photographer and God knows what else.

No masks no social distancing, big numbers, all indoors and plenty of mingling.

If I did such a public thing in my private job and splashed it all over the internet and to thousands of staff and ex-staff I would be sacked.

The same should be applied here. Leadership starts at the top like what happened to Hogan and Calleary. Sack them or resign. End of.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Obviously some people lost the run of themselves after that picture . Probably started off fine and then some “ forgot “ about restrictions and distancing

From talking to someone who works in there, a lot of other staff are annoyed by it. They were saying its quite strict in there and not as blasé as the photos portray. Also they were surprised by who was in the photos as they were least likely to be going around without a mask or flaunting the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

RTÉ don't exist in the same universe as you or I. Theirs is a secure bubble, where job losses and paycuts are fiction. Propped up by the taxpayer, the bonfire of money well fed. And then the condescending narrative day after day: "Do as I say, not as I do". Deliberating undermining sectors of society which they perceive as expendable, retail and hospitality in particular. And then protecting similarly priviliged interests in the HSE, numerous outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes played down as much as possible. The wider public ('plebs' in D4 speak) have had enough of this biased swill, we contribute to their salaries and damaging lies are no acceptable.

Not true you are going by visible RTE high earners. Many of the rest admin and so on are contracted on short term renewable contracts. Library, research, building maintenace, camera, lighting, catering, cleaning etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bikeman1 wrote: »

The organised balloons, people, family a photographer and God knows what else.

tumblr_pi9k4kRVSA1uzae1ko1_500.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

See its on the irish Times website that the gardai are investigating this now. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Why is misbehaved in quotations? The optics are a disgrace on this after RTE have been trying to lecture the entire country for 8 months

So if not Dee, who should go then?

No one and "shure it'll be grand"?

What lecturing have they been doing?
    Do you mean reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you mean reporting?

Have you not seen tubs giving his weekly Covid lecture on the late late? Endless scolding of the little people on the news also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

duffysfarm wrote: »
    See its on the irish Times website that the gardai are investigating this now. Brilliant

From legal perspective they didn't do anything wrong. They didn't follow NPHET's guidelines, at the end of the day it's only advice you can take it or leave it.

• Advertisement

A nation of Karen's with way too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you mean reporting?

What's with this line that they are just "reporting", as if it absolves them from any wrong doing.... Or reponsibility for there positions

Is that all journalists do? ... Report.... No influence on what or how its reported?

4 year colleague degree and huge salaries just to report like robots!

If that's the case, let's hire some new reporters and leave this lot off to the BBC and the States, that we keep hearing only their vast wages avoids such a doomsday national reporting crisis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

A nation of Karen's with way too much time on their hands.

Other breaches have been investigated :confused:

For what it's worth, I don't give a crap about what happened. I just think they're hypocrites.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Other breaches have been investigated :confused:

For what it's worth, I don't give a crap about what happened. I just think they're hypocrites.

But someone must have reported them to Gardai in the first place in order for them to be investigated. You'd want a lot of time on your hands to bother ringing them and registering a complaint.
    Agree with your take on the whole episode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

ForestFire wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be A) resign or B) no action.

There are plenty of different disiplineary options I'm sure that are available...

How about the high profile presenters take a 4-6 week suspended leave (with or without pay).?

Gone from there lovely shows and would set a good example and also a nice opportunity for some others to step up for RTE reporting duties?

That would probable hurt the egos the most to be put on the bold step for a while.

Promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ZX7R wrote: »
    Problem for me is rte employees did it during level 5 restrictions.
    Golf gate happened in level two point something didn't it.
    And people were forced to resign then.
    So why not now breaking level 5 is that not worse per se

because one was a 80 person event when there was only supposed to be 50 by law, there no laws breach with this rte event.

ForestFire wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be A) resign or B) no action.

There are plenty of different disiplineary options I'm sure that are available...

How about the high profile presenters take a 4-6 week suspended leave (with or without pay).?

Gone from there lovely shows and would set a good example and also a nice opportunity for some others to step up for RTE reporting duties?

That would probable hurt the egos the most to be put on the bold step for a while.

the person responsible for this is whoever is responsible for health and safety in RTE.

the rest of the photos https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jbHOJB8JdVUJ:https://www.superannrte.ie/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D7548:phil-collins-retirement-photos-13-11-2020%26catid%3D31%26Itemid%3D104+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-b-d

• Advertisement

FFS, as if gardai haven't enough to be doing.
    This will be a total waste of garda time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bubblypop wrote: »

Be tough to get those balloons into an evidence bag, there is helium in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

They really don't

Its either investigate our national TV network or setup check points to annoy people

I say investigate RTE

What's Dara Collins, Phils daughter doing there?

Does she work for RTE too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If it was right that heads rolled after golfgate, i fail to see why this is different

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They really don't

Its either investigate our national TV network or setup check points to annoy people

I say investigate RTE

What's Dara Collins, Phils daughter doing there?

Does she work for RTE too?

Oh I'm sorry! I forgot that all crime stopped when a health emergency starts.

If it was right that heads rolled after golfgate, i fail to see why this is different

How many heads rolled?
    How many should roll from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How many heads rolled?
    How many should roll from this?
    Well big phil, sean o'rourke and the judge (who has brazened it out). As to how many should roll this time? I dont care but is it wrong to look for consistency? If there's a reason why this incident during level 5 is not as bad as golfgate during level 2, i'm open to hearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

because one was a 80 person event when there was only supposed to be 50 by law, there no laws breach with this rte event.

We don't know if rte breached any rules or not.
    There is a garda investigation into the matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I forgot that all crime stopped when a health emergency starts.

As do the Guard's

All those checkpoints!

• Advertisement

Thierry12 wrote: »
    As do the Guard's

All those checkpoints!

Gardai shouldn't be policing a public health emergency, apart from when there are actual penalties involved.
    Pointless checkpoints are just that.

Advertisement