Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Account Hacked

Options
  • 20-11-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Posting for a mate. His account was hacked overnight, passwords and email changed. One transaction made on the account before he managed to cancel the cards. I looked for a contact number for Sony Ireland but could only find the US one 1-800-345-7669 and he's waiting until the lines open. Anything else we can do atm, is there a UK or Ireland contact number? Couldn't find one meself. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

01 691 7379

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/support/contact-us/#account

Sorry to hear he is having major issues like that, I've been hacked twice in 2 years, Amazon and eBay and 2FA has helped sort that out for me. It's horrible seeing emails coming through saying "You've changed your password" when you know you haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Berty wrote: »
    01 691 7379

https://www.playstation.com/en-ie/support/contact-us/#account

Sorry to hear he is having major issues like that, I've been hacked twice in 2 years, Amazon and eBay and 2FA has helped sort that out for me. It's horrible seeing emails coming through saying "You've changed your password" when you know you haven't.
    Thanks for that
    Tried that number and it's just a recording directing you to the website.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did you try the other 2 chat options on that site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Did you try the other 2 chat options on that site?
    The chat pages dont load

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this happened to me before and they had made 3 transactions of €50 vouchers before I got in touch with Sony which I eventually used myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

hacked this evening. 3 transactions. Cancelled card. Need to contact Sony in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just on the hacking thing if you use PayPal is there still a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Chaoticawk

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Cancelled my card before any transactions were made, but your mates bank should sort him out pretty quick.

(01) 691 7379 for Sony in Ireland, expect to be on hold for an hour or so and possibly dropping your call once you get through to them and starting all over again....

Sony's online help pages are useless, you go around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

How do they get past the 2FA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

This happened to me a couple of years ago, if you're reading this and don't have two factor auth enabled it would be worth your while setting it up, it only takes a few minutes

• Advertisement

How do they get past the 2FA?

They didn't. They set it up once they were in my account. So now when I try to log in I'm asked for 2fa but that's linked to their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

They didn't. They set it up once they were in my account. So now when I try to log in I'm asked for 2fa but that's linked to their phone.

Absolute bastards!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony updated 2 factor so it's not just over text message anymore you can have it linked to an authentication app so no more waiting for text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Seems to be a spate of these hackings as I got hacked the day before the PS5 launch!!

They managed to spend just over €120 on games before bank got suspicious of my binge game buying at 4am and put a hold on my card. They changed my email on account as well so couldnt reset password.

Contacted Playstation support and once they asked few security questions they couldnt have been more helpful and helped me reset password and re-activated 2FA, as well as instantly refunding me for all purchases, all while I was on the line with them. Took Bank another day to contact me, and another two days for their 'investigation' to be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Any idea how they got access to your Account? Phishing site, password reuse, something else?
    Tks
    KK

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

bigslick wrote: »
    reset password and re-activated 2FA,

That's quite worrying, by "reactivating 2FA" suggests that you had 2FA activated, hacker bypassed this somehow.
    Sony recovered account, what good is 2FA if it can be bypassed.

I'd be onto Sony asking how 2FA was bypassed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

F1ngers wrote: »
    That's quite worrying, by "reactivating 2FA" suggests that you had 2FA activated, hacker bypassed this somehow.
    Sony recovered account, what good is 2FA if it can be bypassed.

I'd be onto Sony asking how 2FA was bypassed.

More than likely 2fa was activated by the hackers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

kkontour wrote: »
    Any idea how they got access to your Account? Phishing site, password reuse, something else?
    Tks
    KK

More than likely part of the Sony leak over past few years, as I stupidly didnt change my password once the leak came to light.

Kimbot wrote: »

Thats correct, I didnt have 2FA activated in first place. As per above I also didnt change my password often. So yeah, lessons have now been learned :D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

bigslick wrote: »
    More than likely part of the Sony leak over past few years, as I stupidly didnt change my password once the leak came to light.

Thats correct, I didnt have 2FA activated in first place. As per above I also didnt change my password often. So yeah, lessons have now been learned :D:D

Grand so, it was just the way you worded it, you should have said they activated it for you, not reactivated. :pac:

Kimbot wrote: »

Yes this is what happened to me. Last Wednesday, but still waiting for Sony to sort it. 2fa is still on but I can't get passed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lots more reports of people having accounts hacked and bank accounts attempted to be drained.

Still nothing from Sony,when the big hack happened years ago my card details were stolen,bank caught it so was ok. Sony were very slow to acknowledge something was up then,looks like the same here.

Few news sites even picking this up now

A week since last night my account was compromised. A week to the day since I spoke to PS support. Still no access to my account. In fairness Permanent TSB refunded the money right away, but new bank card hasn't arrived yet...which hasn't been ideal over black Friday week (or maybe that was a good thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A week since last night my account was compromised. A week to the day since I spoke to PS support. Still no access to my account. In fairness Permanent TSB refunded the money right away, but new bank card hasn't arrived yet...which hasn't been ideal over black Friday week (or maybe that was a good thing!)

If permanent TSB refunded the money and did a charge back that can entirely block your account and you may never get it back, Sony really don't like that, they probably would have put it back in as a credit otherwise...

Fingers crossed it's not the case It was a bit of a thing on PS3 after the big hack...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads how did you contact Sony playstation about this issue? My accounts been hacked and email changed since this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not a hack, you lost the keys to your front door with the address attached and didnt change the locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Wailin

ED E wrote: »
    Its not a hack, you lost the keys to your front door with the address attached and didnt change the locks.

Yeah cool, whatever. Not what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭michael jay

number is on page one of this thread,
    best of luck,
    guess its safety to delete payment details after each purchase

Advertisement